I’ve played both VT and VT2 in the thousands of hours ranges. I can appreciate that this game is not those games, but I was still struck by just how bad my experience with trying to play two missions on difficulty two has gone.
Off the top of my head, here are some observations:
- The tutorial instructs you to shoot at enemies or close to melee to get them to stop shooting you and instead use their melee weapons. This never seemed practical because enemies were already formed into firing positions large enough that they’d never all BE in cover for long enough to charge, or were just flat out in gigantic firing lines that melted anyone stupid enough to even try to shoot towards them. When you would finally close to melee, several other positions just have sight lines on you and you’re constantly losing toughness to 2 guys in a rafter somewhere.
- Enemy identification is about as poor as I’ve ever seen in a game ever. A smear of greys is shooting me from a some position 80 meters forward that is just a smear of colors. Another smear of color has just peeled itself off the walls because my teammates walked right past it and hit me from the flank.
- Psyker might as well be removed from the game – I realize the state it was in for the technical beta was OP, but the changes have made it basically a wasted slot. Paper thin, too little offensive power, slow recharge and long charge up time for head pop. I actively disliked the way this feels currently; it was distinctly unfun. I’ve failed plenty of VT2 runs, but I’ve never felt like playing a class was unfun like playing Psyker was in the current state. After two attempts to complete a level, my friends and I just decided to stop playing for the night.
- No private lobbies is a deal breaker. Full stop. I do not want to play with a random 4th player. I do not want to make someone else’s run bad because my friends and I are on voice and want to go at XYZ pace and they want to go at ABC pace, and vice versa.
- I realize the game director tries to keep the pace at a certain point – and I very familiar with it – but the threat pacing feels radically off. No enemies, no activity for a full 2 minutes, then suddenly we’re being shot from six angles, two people instantly evaporate to being unable to take cover fast enough, two dogs and two trappers are immediately upon us, and then a Plague Ogryn spawns??? For difficulty two?
I know this is still a beta, so I’m willing to overlook and forgive some blemishes, but if this is what I can expect from Darktide then I’m not sure it’s something I’ll be playing. I’d give what I played today a very solid D- grade if it was a school assignment; it wasn’t an F, but it wasn’t much better.
I’m really hoping you can make this one great like you did with VT2, Fatshark. I love the universe, and I think you guys get Warhammer. But this isn’t it.