Next Comm-Link or Blog or whatever?

do we really have to wait until Oct 4th to find out what’s in the update?

c’mon man

3 Likes

Last “C’mon man” is a personal attack on us gamers.

6 Likes

There is a long period of time between now and October 4th. Doesn’t make much sense to assume we’re not getting a comm link before then just because we haven’t got one yet.

Besides we know the biggest thing coming, as long as they give us more details on what else will be in the patch like a week before the patch goes live I don’t see any issue.

1 Like

I want to see all 4 trees and be able to read what each thing says and know how the points are spent, then they can go back on vacation until Oct 4th, it’s not too much to ask

4 Likes

he’s a heretic!

maybe be no traditional commlink, but I assume that there will be marketing videos and blogs

5 Likes

There better be a crafting revision to go along with this update. I am not coming back to this game, get super into it, get into the crafting, then get reminded of my terrible “Beta” experience with “crafting”.

4 Likes

I don’t know why you would expect a Crafting rework so soon after the last one.

And tbh Crafting is good enough atm that I think everyone would prefer content over another Crafting Rework

5 Likes

I think there are different people working on systems like crafting, than those who work on new weapons, maps and classes.
So there is no reason why this should be an “A or B“ situation rather than an “A and B“ situation.
Aside from that, a good crafting system would be content in itself and also add a lot of replayability to all other aspects of the game, while removing the barriers that are preventing a lot of players from fully enjoying the game.

The recent “rework“ was just a breadcrumb, and the discussions and complaints about the crafting system have not really died down since then.
Because aside from access to good curios and allowing people to test combinations of 2 already owned blessings much easier, the “rework“ did little to nothing regarding most problems with the system.

It is still an awful RNG fest that is still not fun or rewarding to interact with.
There is still no way to get any specific blessing, without wasting tens of thousands of ressources on a RNG slot machine, or potentially waiting for 9+ months for a blessing to show up once at melk‘s shop.
It is still not in a state where content creators could reasonably make videos like build guides, because there still is no way to get the exact item (or even a largely similar item) that you would need.
Once you have a decent item, it is still a good idea to ignore the existence of the crafting system entirely, because of how low your chances are to get something better than the ok item that you have.

Just recently, i had to buy 85 weapons from brunt, in order to get just one good base weapon.
Within 85 purchases, i got 3 weapons with 370+ modifiers, 2 of which had garbage stat distributions.
And after that point, the one good item of course turned to garbage while upgrading it, because it has >90% chance to do that.
Buying 85 weapos and selling all of them back, cost me about 650k dockets. That is likely more than most players would earn in a whole week of playing the game.
A week+ worth of dockets, pissed away, trying to get a single good base item (of which you can expect to need tens or hundreds, before you get what you want after upgrading it).

Of course, there are a few lucky people who never have to experience how bad the crafting system actually is.
But as someone who is not one of the lucky few, i can say with relative certainty that the current crafting system is not good enough for anything except the trash can.

All they need to do in order to fix the whole system, is

• remove diamantine cost from currently existing crafting functions (at least from consecration/quality upgrades)
  • add 3 deterministic crafting functions where players spend diamantine (but no plasteel):
    I) upgrade item modifiers (spend x diamantine to upgrade modifier of choice by y%; repeatable until all modifiers are maxed)
    II) unlock blessing of choice (spend x diamantine to permanently “learn“ a blessing of choice)
    III) remove locks (spend x diamantine to permanently remove a lock from the item; 2nd lock costs more to remove)
  • add additional rank to quality upgrades/consecration (once an item has all modifiers improved to 80%, it can be upgraded/“awakened“; awakening the item grants access to modifier upgrades past 80%; when all 5 modifiers are upgraded to 100%, the item quality automatically changes to red).

All existing RNG systems can stay in the game untouched. Getting lucky can still save you lots of ressources and time, but not getting lucky will no longer prevent anyone from enjoying the game.
Nobody loses. Everybody wins.

8 Likes

@Flawless God bless you for still having the enthusiasm to deliver in-depth commentary about this game’s lackluster systems.

7 Likes

^QFE!

Great post!!!

1 Like

I really don’t mean for this to come off as overly aggressive, but what does the developers “putting their head down” to make sure the content is ready have to do with the CM’s ability to provide updates and info to the community?

Like Catfish isn’t a dev right? What does “we are trying to get our head down” mean here?

3 Likes

Oh well this is awkward. :smiley:
Which one do they mean?

2 Likes

Probably they are waiting the green light to be sure that what they say are gonna be right instead of saying things and then having to change them

1 Like

we’re a month out of release, I would hope that the majority of those details are ironed out & set in stone by now :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Doesn’t mean that the CM are left rein free to speak as they wish

Right now as the only member of the Communications team for both Games (aside from Quickpaw on a part time temporary basis for Vermintide) quite a lot is on my plate with big updates coming shortly for both games.
Separately to this, other comms we are preparing e.g dev blogs are written by the devs themselves who are also super busy right now. So by getting our heads down I meant that we have a lot on right now, both on a marketing front and the dev front.
Updates and information to the community will be released in the coming weeks so fret not!

14 Likes

I think most folks were expecting one today (I was as well) because it has been 6 weeks since the last one and there was 6 weeks since the one before that. But you had mentioned previously that the cadence of Comm-Links would be stretching out some.

For the purpose of managing our expectations, as the Community Manager, do you see it lengthening out to an 8 week or so schedule? Or do you think you’ll shift to a more irregular scheme and just post news as it happens?

I’m sure the community can handle it either way but it would be nice to know what to look forward to or to expect to be surprised by sudden info bombs.

1 Like

Look, I don’t wanna sound rude because you’ve been way easier and more fair to communicate with than other CMs but “eventually” has been The Fatshark Answer for about a year now.

I can’t talk about Darktide with anybody I know who plays VT2 without receiving derision for even bringing it up. Darktide’s reputation is so poor amongst Fatshark’s community that when I bring it up, my reputation suffers by association.

We’re less than a month out. I get that an online magazine publication is more valuable to your bosses and their shareholders than the people who actually play their games, but we’ve all been waiting for a very, very long time for this game to improve.

A scrap of information. A pittance of data. You can call me Oliver Twist if you like, but please, ma’am, we’d like some more information about this game your bosses ostensibly want us to play.

4 Likes