New Poxburster sound is a bad change

The new quieter, subtler sound makes them way too hard to hear above the din of combat, dialogue, music, and everything else that can be going on, especially since on high difficulties there can be so many callouts that characters often don’t even call out that a Buster has spawned. This change has turned a randomly punishing enemy into an even more randomly punishing one. Revert the sound change.

EDIT: To go a little more in-depth, the entire reason enemies have sound cues is to make the game more fair, to allow players to react and not feel like they’re being caught out. 'Tide games take this even further by giving the “whoosh” backstab sound effect, SFX like the Trapper and Leech projectile, the Sniper shot pre-warning, etc. Every bit of this game’s sound design is intended to give a fair and consistent experience, where the players are aware of what is happening and the skill is in coordinating and reacting properly to it. The poxburster sound change undermines that by making it less consistent and often plain inaudible in many tense situations.

1 Like

Ahhh… I understand better why I was surprised lot of times by them since the last patch…

1 Like

It is a variety. Some are loud and sharp ticks, some have thudding ticks. It is just another level of challenge to overcome.
I think people are getting upset because they were playing at damnation levels, but now they are struggling with malice (not saying this applies to anyone specifically). Essentially, things became more challenging to make the levels of difficulty more verbose. Find the level that is at your preferred level of challenge (the level that you still succeed on missions) and play there. :smiley:

Strangely, I always seem to hear the “old” sound in certain rooms, such as the penultimate area of Chasm Terminus, the room before the elevator that leads to the boss. It makes me wonder if it’s buggy or not (I know the change was intentional, but it is bad).

1 Like

Ah, a classic deflection of any and all criticism, “git gud” and “mad cuz bad,” but this time with a smiley face. I routinely clear DHI without issue. It’s not hard. My complaint isn’t because this is an insurmountable challenge, but instead one that feels unfair. I’m going to edit the top post to go a little more in-depth to hopefully avoid such comments in the future.

1 Like

The new sound can also double on itself, sounding like 2 bursters when there’s only one. But because of that, 2 bursters sound exactly the same.

I don’t mind the new sound but I did have a game where I couldn’t push 2 of them and my team also seemed to not be able to push them to.

Got hit by 5 bursters in one damnation game and only 2 felt fair.

I actually think this is a spatial audio bug. Ive noticed poxbursters sometimes sound farther away than they are, etc. This issue also seems to happen with some friendly attacks where one second their a few feet away and the next swing sounds like its louder than my own swings.

Might be spacial bug, they did fix one of those already. Would not shock me. I think it just something we will need to learn. I do wish we could turn up things like Enemy Sounds or Books. I have killed the IG music because it adds to the mess of audio cues. The Roar or whispers are enough to tell me what is coming. I may also just play my own soundtrack in my room so it is not all coming at me from the same source.