New Maps when?

Cause some people arent edgy teenagers, and actually want to support a company that develops enjoyable games for reasonable prices, and don’t always need to see an instant, and gratifying return on investment, especially when we’ve already generated hundreds to thousands of hours of entertainment off of minimal investment so far. You’ve already stated in this thread that you go out of your way to spend the least amount of money possible to get only what you think you want out of the content. There is no money to be made in marketing things around people like you, so they don’t bother.

4 Likes

While there is some truth in what you say @mw2544, not everyone starts out with such an attitude. While @Palesz might be trying to really consider where he spends his money I bet he didn’t begin with such a miserly outlook, without even mentioning his personal financial situation.

While I started off like @mw2544 I think I’ve got the same mindset as @Palesz now. I brought VT1 and had every DLC and paid for two of the skins released - Sienna’s Wyrmscale skin and Vicky Saltz Tilean Coat. I was happy to pay money to support Fatshark and as @mw2544 says I had thoroughly enjoyed every minute of VT1, even before Quests and Contracts and running HoM endlessly.

Problem is, every single relationship in the world has an “emotional bank account”. If my employees in Real Life need a favour like finishing early to make an appointment or swapping a shift or coming in late then I let them do it without fuss. I make an investment in their Bank Account. When it comes to ME needing a favour or a shift covered or some other thing they are much more likely to help as I have invested in their bank account and I am “in credit”. This has nothing to do with the fact they’re paid to be there and will do what they’re told. It’s about understanding the relationship and how people work.

By continuously releasing absolutely embarrassingly busted content(and I count the actual launch of the game in that category) they are making small withdrawals from the emotional bank account of every player. WoM launch and 2.0 put massive chunks of their player base so far into debt that the players have virtually nothing left to give.

This is reflected in the Steam Reviews and general feeling of the community. Long standing players are thoroughly annoyed because their account is already in the red and WoM pushed them into so much emotional debt it’s going to take a lot of investment by FS to regain them, while new players (who’s account is still in the black) aren’t too angry. They’ve still got stuff in their account so they’re quite content.

Onto the OP.

New Maps are a big investment into people’s account. It cannot be underestimated how much a good, new map could revitalise everyone play time, add something new to the QP pool and re-ignite some of the lost spark of coolness. Just two new maps would be such a boost it cannot be said enough.

Now because my account is in the red, and is so far in the red it’s likely to stay that way for a fair time - I’m not that impressed by Drakenfels. It’s money for old rope as I played those maps to death(pun!) and have been thoroughly infuriated so often by bugs I’m expecting it to crash immediately I start it. IF it works properly and is engaging it’ll be some way back towards wanting to spend my money with FS again. This is, of course in isolation. Chests, Crafting, Balance, Sideways flying Gutter Runners, End events of some maps, Halloween event announcement when?, Community events, weekly events, VS launch, Console Launch of WoM…and so on…

TLDR; Just make some brand new maps.

4 Likes

I had V1 with all DLCs, I preordered V2, bought Bogenhafen and BtU immediately. Also I’m 40, so not your edgy teenager, so you shouldn’t be one either.
What I buy is decided along a simple evaluation - price for value. I pay for what I think it’s worth the price they ask.
The quality of Fatsharks work was a disappointment since V2 launched, it was with WoM when I decided that I no longer support their attitude towards the quality of the work they try to sell me.
But nice of you to make personal attacks once you have no arguments to present.

5 Likes

This is it. Right there. They try to keep selling me broken stuff. Not buying it.

3 Likes

I think, if we could get more alternate/sub-mission maps for already existing campaigns. Like a new map that happens between map 1-4 in Helmgart doing something X. No need to create new assets, so it wouldn’t be as resource heavy as making completely new themed-maps.

More Athel-inspired maps yes?

I wouldn’t even mind to buy a Small map pack 1-3.

Yeah, and I’m saying WoM doesn’t count as new maps, because it’s a game mode hardly anyone cares about. And even if people did play it a lot, calling a part of an existing map with some assets added to it a new map is a stretch.

It’s kinda sad that FS drew the wrong conclusions about the declining player base after releasing new maps.

They released new maps and player count increased, then declined swiftly. Their conclusion: players aren’t coming back for new maps.

Meanwhile, all the glaring issues are still unaddressed: Terrible loot/crafting system, unnecessary power level grind, recurring bugs, no host migrations, etc.

My bet is players are not sticking around because after each update not only are these issues not fixed, older bugs are reintroduced.

If these issues were to be addressed, we wouldn’t need something like WoM, vs mode, whatever. Give us good maps like V1 had. Players want more of what attracted them in the first place, but done right.

Conclusion : Players don’t STAY with only new maps. This is actually true.

Yeah, probably, if you forget Dark Omens (which doesn’t reuse assets), and everything that does not fit your vision of a new map (therefore you don’t acknowledge facts), then you’re true WoM doesn’t have any new map.

There’s seriously an issue on how you put on a piedestal V1 maps where a lot of them were not that great actually. But hey, they listen to you as they do add Drachenfels for free.

3 Likes

Conclusion: Players want WoM and VS mode instead of base game fixes. This is actually false.

I didn’t forget Dark Omens. You mentiond 40 new maps. You named 1. A new map is not part of an lod map with a few assets added. It’s an old maps. You don’t acknowledge reality.

Subjective. Sure, there were some burners like Black Powder, Wheat and Chaff, Well Watch and I’m glad to be rid of them. On the other hand we got The Wizards Tower which has not been matched yet imo.

Besides Drachenfels we also got Karak Azgaraz in V1. In V2 we got two new maps which had potential, but were flawed.

Anyway, you go on living in your bubble. You may think defending everything FS in literally everything they do is positive, but it’s not. It’s equally distorted as those toxic posters who spit on everything they do. This is you:

2 Likes

I hope you know that content and bug fixes are not against each other. You can still have content and bug fixes at the same time. You can’t wait your artists and level designers to bug fix something.

Old map with a few assets added means new map (because, you know, it’s not the same as the old map therefore… it’s new). You don’t acknowledge reality.

As the art is. And besides this, level design exist.

That’s interesting, because, against, you choose to ignore facts (you could, indeed, look at my activity, which show you that I do criticize stuff, including weaves). So I do indeed have some things I dislike. It’s just I don’t feel the need to infinitely rant some random nonsense on a neverending circle of hate (which, not only is not constructive, but draw some negativity on a game that certainly is not the apocalypse you like to draw, >>>>>>> EVEN IF IT’S FAR FROM PERFECT <<<<<<<).

2 Likes

True. Both would be nice.

“A Quiet Drink” official map release with all the crazy dialogue intact and added books please. Makes me wonder why they didn’t do this right after they introduced it some time ago. I mean, map’s already 99% finished. Just add hot water, err, books (and probably add item spawns as well) and it’s all set. Making it an event exclusive map is a bad idea imho.

1 Like

In terms of DLC I would appreciate a new act. Maybe not all at once, but slowly dropping out.
Similar to the base game with a new unique boss fight at the end.

Why not enhance the main game with a whole new story line? There’s got to be something the U5 might destroy, plot againt, etc…the story has to continue somehow somewhere!

Old (V1) maps could be thrown in in between.

So I would love if the game at the end would look like this:

Main game: the whole arc followed a specific plan which was wonderful and conclusive!

• Act I 4 maps with a bossfight
  • Act II 4 maps with a bossfight
  • Act III 4 maps with a bossfight
  • additional conclusive map with endboss fight

Second story arc or each act conclusive on it’s own with a whole story to tell!

• Bögenhafen: (Act I) with 4 maps and bossfight (some tentaclestuff maybe ;)) + plus new weapons
  • Dark Omens: (Act II) with 4 maps and bossfight + plus the whole new race
  • ???: (ActIII): with 4 maps and bossfight + new weapons
  • …and so on ;)!.. + whatever

So they double up the whole content.

In between some retro stuff! That’s always good in some way! Return to Übersreik was totally fine! Upcoming Drachenfels might be too!!
Would be very happy to buy good fresh maps/acts. Don’t have any love for cosmetics…

Stuff like Weaves or the Emporium shouldn’t be tied to map DLC. Could be thrown out for those who are interested. On the side. Not a “main-thing”.

I’m not so much a fan of “here and there one two maps…”. Whole conclusive arcs would be so much better. At least for me…
It’s interesting how the story might go on. Would love the see/play that!!!

Edit:

@Auralee

Totally agree on this implementation!! But instead of books it would be nice if they carry their booze back they’re actually looking for :)! I think this fits better. Who cares about books when drunk :)!

1 Like

You can still play this map on Live Servers.

While new maps might not give longevity for players to stay, they do re-engage lost customers.

HOWEVER, those lost customers come back and see the same infuriating crafting system, the same mismatched Legend Skins/Hats, the horrible RNG to get reds, plus horribly OP beastmen, gutter runner leaping backwards from a distance of 600 miles to silently stab someone, plus horrible Weave design and matchmaking and a simple regurgitating of old material and leave pretty damn quickly.

FS would make a massive step in the right direction if they just get something working magnificently. A complete Rework of Crafting. A proper effort to make deeds valuable. Bad Luck protection when opening chests. Hats match Skins. Something to do with scrap/dust/jewellery. Kerrillian shot from the highest window of Taal Horn Keep like a Goblin launched from a gobbo lobber.

Everything else is so half-hearted that a new map just makes the randomness of QP a bit more variable.

5 Likes

Yeah, like the Big Balance Beta was. That was awesome. Shame we didn’t get to enjoy it for long thanks to WoM and their genius plan to scramble all balance again.

Actually, we can’t. As the matter with FS stands now, you can just barely have either the one or the other and only after a painful silent waiting period.

2 Likes

I have searched this thread and found it greatly saddening that “Map Editor” has not been mentioned.

Yes I know Community Maps would have a bunch of poorly designed maps initially but if we had such tools to make our own maps I wouldn’t doubt for one second that we would have already had some fantastic maps if we were given the tools a long time ago when Modding Tools were posted on that silly Roadmap of theirs (and yes “Modding Tools” for me would’ve included Map Editor).

If we had Community Maps available that would make it far easier to deal with the wait for new content coming out from Fatshark. If we had Community Maps then Winds of Magic adding some superfluous competitive game mode and only 1 map wouldn’t have hurt nearly as badly.
If we had Community Maps we would have a greater variety and hey maybe even some VT1 remakes as well. Maps that can be continually worked on could even potentially be better then Fatshark maps where the developers haven’t touched on old maps in meaningful ways (Blightreaper ending being super anticlimactic as 1 example).

1 Like

@Froh It does feel a bit like FS have decided to simply pump out new content - ravaged art, weekly events and then WoM without tackling the deep-seated problem players have complained about since day one. Bugs and content can be done alongside each other but FS are hoping content will cover up the bugs and distract us with shinies. In f act lohners emporium is just that. Shines. Look at the shiny things! Ignore the chaos warriors in heelies!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.