New Gamemode idea

I was thinking about some new game modes that could be added and I thought about all the defenses set up in many of the maps.
The game mode would be a defensive still map. Where once you enter you spend about 5-10 fighting to a point and then defend it till reinforcements arrive. But instead of just being a courtyard with some waist high cover that doesn’t really work, there could be some battlements and small towers that players could move between. Maybe have a unique mechanic were the ship captain can fly by and drop supplies?
I think it could also work as an infinite game mode where every wave gives a certain amount of the weekly currency.

4 Likes

The ending area of Enclavum Baross would be a good map to do this game mode into.

1 Like

I think the way to do this would be to do it in a multi-staged, progressive retreat scenario. That is, instead of having the whole map in front of us and attacking into it, players have the entire map behind them and have to use it to retreat through as enemy waves achieve some objective or if waves get too tough to handle. If enemies can push players all the way to the end of the map, the players will probably be overrun and lose. If players can prevent that until X happens, they win.

Honestly, defense maps sound like a cluster**** waiting to happen in games like this. Defense scenarios are easily the messiest this game has to offer and static defense scenarios where you’re just holding a spot until a timer runs out are some of the least interesting gameplay DT has.

They’re just not a strength of tide games. They never have been.

3 Likes

They should have raid modes when the map tiles are fully fleshed out and finished where you get dropped into the middle of the map and have to randomly search for and complete objectives in every direction, like a metroidvania vs. Chaos wastes style thing.
Like you have to get the reactor in sector B online, but there’s missing parts hidden somewhere in sector F that you have to search for, and there’s something nasty guarding it.
Every stage you complete, you get random buffs/blessings, and the maps are all open so you can traverse back and forth (elevators go both ways, drops might need a ladder added, etc.)
The maps are big and complex enough for it, they should take advantage of that core design.

Wouldn’t the servers just lay down and f ucking die if that game mode was available?

Well that’s the bed they made when they decided to force dedicated servers on everyone, they’re gonna have to deal with it sooner or later.
Either upgrade their hardware or relent and let people play P2P like in the good old VT2 days.
Chaos wastes were pretty much the endgame of VT2 and gave people am incentive to keep playing long after every mission was done to death.
Darktide is going to need to get some bigger raid gamemodes at some point to give the vets something to chew on.

VT2 had the Last Stand map. It was quite fun.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.