Musings on what a "good weapon" is

And yet, a bad player like me, can use it without to much issues on Footknight on Cataclysm. Elven Spear on Handmaiden as well. These weapons are good.

3 Likes

The weapons are bad, its the careers that make them work by pumping in steroids or supplementing weaknesses with abilities. Like waystalker keri can really just run any melee she wants except dual swords if she also uses hagbane to kill everything…

My point was always, is a weapon that needs a ton of steroid/ability or even another weapon entirely, as investments to work, a good weapon? I think not.

spear and greatsword most certainly doesn’t need steroids to be good

7 Likes

I dare not state with absolute certainty for the Greatsword, but the spear assuredly does on cata. Poor hitboxes, low range(for a spear), average stagger, low cleave and average damage means this one struggles badly with multiple armored targets and just flat out cant handle stacked shields.

Against some 4 stormvermin you end up being able to control 1-2 of them but the remaining ones will always initiate charging attacks, which you dodge, at which point the ones you were attacking will also charge.

Because that´s a thing nowadays…but other than that sure you can eat through chaff hordes just fine.

…

As for greatsword, how would that even work? I know it´s awful against any horde with multiple bigger targets that can soak the heavies and once the elite train starts spamming charges it´s pure misery.

That´s why i truly favor the 2handed hammer way above it, being able to smack a high number of elites out of their attacks and still deal decent enough damage is amazing.

I am not using Hagbane. I am using Longbow. Of what steroids are you specifically talking? Because there is a chance that I don’t use any of them. Both for Greatsword on Footknight or Spear on Handmaiden.

3 Likes

only thing correct in any of that is there’s some hitbox jank on spear light jabs and it has average stagger

rest of it is a you problem

4 Likes

Dual blades on waystalker? ._.

Sure, just gamble away that your team will always handle the elites&shields and chaos warriors for you <.<

It has hitbox problems on all the attacks, something i´ve made bug reports on and gotten confirmed. The damage meanwhile is also truly average even on the 2nd heavy stab headshot.

Its about the same as 1handed sword heavies, despite being harder to pull of due to janked hitbox and needing other attacks to go first. Also, kruber has practically more range on majority of his weapons, including the brettonian sword, than keri does on her spear.

And the charging attacks? Multiple bug reports, with videos, have confirmed it and gotten acknowledged as well.

Off your high horse, sir. I have fact checks for, not all, but a lot of this. : (

I was not talking about Dual Blades O.o Why change the topic?

“fact checks” what you feel is average is literally subjective unless you go and average out all the damage and other stats from across the whole armoury, if you feel spear is average then the average weapon is actually really solid.

Between this and you telling multiple players that their runs are “lucky” in the convocation thread I’m not sure what to tell you.

3 Likes

…Handmaiden has a heap of steroids though? Unless you are using a build that goes like 3-2-3-3-3-1

And heck even without a steroid build you can use bladedancer as a anti horde/group tool at which point you are supplementing the spear´s biggest weak point anyway. Not by a literal steroid but still supplementing.

As i did write, not all of it, but a lot of it.

The charging attacks, bugged hitboxes on all attacks, those i know for certain. As for the damage being average, yes on a weapon that has a single target heavy attack with activation conditions the damage is truly average. Neither bad nor good.

It was later proven though? Some people dont get chaos warriors or disablers spawning whatsoever in their runs. Some might get multiple waves of them + stormvermin rapidly on eachother.

That event is ridiculously RNG in what it spawns, easily jumping between snoozefeast to bullet hell runs and one thing that was pretty plainly visible in all the videos share was exactly that spawn variance.

I could link you multiple videos of people doing insane dps with spear and greatsword and I’m sure you’ll put it down to something arbitrary

A lot of the problems you describe having, not all of them but many, are simply a “get good” kind of problem rather than an actual balancing issue

4 Likes

And this is why I said this :

Yes, you’re supposed to shout at them and get your gun out.

What kind of argument is that? In the same vein I can supplement it by using Trueshot Volley or Infiltrate. Which, ergo, makes the spear a good weapon on all of Kerillian’s careers.

Let me check. I am using 1-1-3-3-2-2. So no attack speed or crit bonus.

So what about Footknight? What are his steroid talents?

3 Likes

Footknight does have steroid talents but I mean, literally every class has steroids that’s kinda the whole point of having careers and talents in the first place. They all enable different playstyles and suit different setups. It’s the intended design and going outside that design and gimping yourself to the point of having an intentionally bad build to prove a bad build is, in fact, bad is so pointless to me.

4 Likes

With handmaiden or shade you´ll find an abundance of vids with plenty of damage i am well aware. But that is still not by virtue of the weapons own gifts .c

As for Greatsword, is there any build using it that doesnt pack a ton of steroids? I did a quick check on ytube but didnt spot anything.

Sureee…me not being able to stagger multiple stormvermin in a single greatsword heavy, while i can with the hammer, and thus getting rammed with charging attacks that are documentedly bugged right now, is a me problem ._.

Problem is that not every career has those kinds of talents, and even when they do have something like that talent might not even be useful as is the case with WS and drakira´s alacrity (15% attackspeed 5 seconds ranged headshot).

Sometimes they might actually have the needed talents or the damage but lack THP generation options instead. One example is Unchained who does not have a burn build thus she cant use firesword well, despite it being her signature weapon of all things.

Dwarf? Dwarf does not have a single truly versatile melee standalone weapon in his entire base kit unless we discard boss damage as a criteria at which point 2handed hammer counts. but that one also needs help to be truly good.

Saltz? Saltz has rapier and…the flail?

Elf meanwhile has SnD, DD and to a lesser degree the 1handed sword.

Yes, it is.

Here’s 2 videos of Not-Merc, feel free to ask for a Huntsman greatsword video which would be the definition of my point about intentionally bad builds.

THP talents are in need of standardizing, that I’ll agree on, beyond that I gotta disagree.

Do you think Hagbane needs buffs since it’s pretty meh outside Waystalker? Or Grudge since it’s not so good outside of RV

6 Likes

Trueflight has a much higher cooldown than bladedancer and is far more unreliable to boot, your build meanwhile includes a power boost from focused spirit*. Meanwhile spear is not a good weapon for shade unless you are playing the mist shade build or an exquisite huntress one.

Steroids galore either way.

Foot knight? Have at thee(or crowd clearer), Comrade’s in arms and bull of Ostland.

Alacrity? No, it doesn’t O.o And yet, I see several Shades using spear coming out with top damage and most elites killed. So it is not only perfectly viable on the career but also yields good results.

As for Footknight, I use neither Bull of Ostland, nor Have a Thee or Crowd Clearer. I do use Comrades in Arms though. So not much steroids there either. It is just that the Greatsword works perfectly fine without them.

3 Likes

The first one is a dang legend video?! And it´s really damn old, i think its from before talents were changed.

The second meanwhile is a Grail Knight one,…a character with steroids being his common talent build and he even has smiter as a passive. Plus he was using exe and the talent that makes his holy sword a sweep to deal with elites.

But if you look at 13.40 you´ll soon see him use a heavy on 2 stormvermin, only 1 of them flinches while the other, just like i stated ironically enough, lands a charge on him.

…

What were you out to prove with this again?

I keep writing alacrity but i mean focused spirit T_T

And the mist build is the normal, and very overpowered build, for shade so nothing weird there.

Guz also has a cata true solo on Merc if you wanna check that out lol, and if you really wanna go digging feel free to trawl through my twitch for greatsword gameplay, it’s in there somewhere

Fact of the matter is you will go out of your way to ignore things, cherry pick or shift goal posts to suit you. You’ve done it in the convocation thread, you’ve done it here and I’m not going to go out of my way to find content for you lol

I could upload a video of me killing a mixed horde with FK using any basic talent set up and you’ll say I’m relying on the talents rather than the weapon, or that I got lucky because I didn’t get rekt by running attacks

4 Likes