Moonfire Bow is Overpowered

Where? All i do is remind devs of bugs that have not been fixed in several months if they were acknowledged. Theres nothing snarky in any of my bug reports unless you count that one where i said “lol” in it because of how idiotic it was.

c’mon now like 90% of your posts are snark lmao

Not telling ya to stop, but you should just own it instead of pretending m8

3 Likes

You do not feel its kinda snarky of you to repeat bug reports with the words “seems the devs need reminding of this”?

Fatshark doesnt need your reminders at all, they have an internal database listing all the reported bugs…the reason they do not get fixed? Word goes that majority of the staff has moved on to their new project and only a tiny skeleton crew works on vt2.

The kind of tiny that only works on fixing the most urgent stuff and crashes primarily while the rest gets left well alone, even years, literally years, later. A guess goes that such stuff only gets worked on when there isnt a major problem somewhere else hence the slow pace of things.

Which would be pretty obvious to most by now.

cry about it

3 Likes

from what I know all the skeleton crew claims are unfounded, yes.

2 Likes

100s of those messages? Private too i assume? I certainly could not find them looking over most of the recent topics you posted.

Because repeating reports about already reported issue´s does nothing, i only make a report when i am somewhat certain it hasnt been reported and its possible to replicate it. Something you should consider doing as well rather than making spam reports.

I never stated it was something certain either, but, if you want to be extremely offended by the idea that such would be an answer to the question of why they leave some big bugs alone for so long despite reports then go ahead.

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Please be aware that flaming/ribbing each other, even if done between friends, can leave a sour taste in the mouths of those who browse without posting.

We can’t see what is on Fatshark’s bug backlog, and as someone who does work in a similar industry, I know that sometimes older bugs get dismissed if there aren’t newer reports to corroborate the issue. Additionally, further reports sometimes contain more information.

While we are not paid to offer input or opinions it’s important to try to be professional. It increases the reach and welcoming aspect of these forums. It also makes it easier to read bugs and fix issues.

Possibly, but if creating a unique weapon is the goal pushing boundaries and then reigning it back to fair is a method to doing so.

3 Likes

So instead of adding to the list of whining, why not say something constructive or new about the topic instead?

@CallMeCC I tried to DM you to have a genuine conversation about what you posted without further derailing this thread but it says you’re not accepting messages at the moment :frowning_face:

I really don’t understand the way you behave on these forums. Not trying to hate just wanted to try and come to an understanding without polluting this thread more than it already is. Would be pretty cool if you could DM me or allow messages again.

3 Likes

@CallMeCC please don’t deliberately derail threads. People are still discussing the original topic of the thread, so there’s no issue. Everyone else, just flag the off topic posts and move on. Let’s all take it easy.

4 Likes

What if moonbow could only recharge through melee :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Among my largest issues with weapons like Moonfire Bow or Javelin is how spammable they are while being awfully strong. They have a near constant uptime which is never a good thing.

But as there are people insisting that the damage is fine and all, I tried to come up with the most horrible balance ideas for the Moonfire Bow without actually touching its dps at all. Among my favourites are:

• Holding MFB in the hand slows the player down by 75 %
  • Having MFB in your loadout deactivates your career skill for the whole run
  • Each shot with the MFB deletes a random file from your computer
3 Likes

Or moonfire bow consumes recharge time from your ult bar turning Kerri into an outcast archer.

I would like the resource management to be a thing after enduring so much OE gameplay. Even a dumb reload, the ad only mentions not stocking arrows.

I believe that balancing the moonfire bow on numbers alone is jumping the gun, or the bow in this case. How about we establish a baseline as to what we want the weapon to be and then do numbers?

For example:

I’ve noticed that the general consensus seems to be that people don’t want to step into Longbow territory with the Moonfire. The Longbow functions as a sniping weapon precisely because it has good base damage, and a good finesse multiplier to go along with it. If we don’t want the moonfire to be sniping specials, like the Longbow, then reduce its base damage and finesse multiplier.

This wouldn’t mean that it cannot kill specials, after all, the DoTs are still there. It just means that it won’t be affective against them because it could take up to 3, 4 or how-many-ever seconds, in theory, for the special to die.

You’ll noticed that I haven’t mentioned which difficulty the bow should be balanced around, and I shouldn’t need to. Anybody that thinks Legend is the way to go needs to compare Legend as a whole to Cataclysm. Legend is a difficulty where the 1-handed axe(in its current iteration) can still be considered a good weapon. That cannot possibly be the difficulty we want to balance things around, right?

I understand that we may not all agree on what we do and do not want the moonfire to be, but I know two things. We don’t want it to it to sh*t nor we want it to be overpowered.

At the very least make it require some headshots to reach breakpoints, I don’t care how much damage % nerf that is and to which parts of the damage (Dot or direct) but it just does not sound right that no ammo weapon can do same with body shots as longbow can with headshots in most cases.

1 Like

I agree that a baseline should be established first.

I think leaving the MFB as a body shot with DOT to kill specials leaves it as the lower skill and more consistent version of the longbow that doesn’t need to use ammo or get headshots. But as for finding a specific place FS has already made the weapon, and doing limited rebalance is all we can/should expect.

Modders can certainly change it in dramatic ways, but I doubt FS would adopt those changes in another BBB.

The DLC weapons feel slightly OP; particularly Moonfire and Griffinfoot, but I’ve got over 500 hours in this game in about 8 months of playing to get decent with most weapons. I’m getting tired of hearing people complain about what’s OP, when most of the players I find, struggle to complete Legend with grimoires. The thing is, the game IS difficult enough on Legend. For a level 35 player with mostly red items and a decent build, it seems like it’s a challenge to survive Legend with books. The DLC weapons aren’t that OP, the average player isn’t going around soloing the whole mission with them. I actually think the real problem is that many weapons by comparison are mediocre and need some love.

I have almost every item in the red variant, I’m tired of picking up tomes in Legend, so I play Cataclysm for a challenge and Champion for casual mindless fun. When playing on Legend, in most cases, we either seem to make it through with just tomes or not at all. There’s usually just one other decent player. I see half the people in threads like this pretentiously acting as if the game is “too easy” when I can’t find players who survive Legend with books. Even on Champion I find several level 35 players struggling there as well, albeit they are somewhat more casual and newer to the game

Here’s a long anecdote of a typical experience when I’m playing better than usual in Cata:
On Cataclysm, Bounty Hunter with normal pistols, after everyone went down, one was complaining they were OP; that bounty hunter was OP, while they were all dead and I was alive for about 5 minutes straight sweating to stay alive amidst 4 specials, chaos warriors and a horde. The last comment from the last player who left while I was the only one remaining, was “saltzpyre gaming”. Yet the players in that lobby just before the mission started were pretending cataclysm was a casual walk in the park for them, and talking about which meta they thought was OP. No one is impressed, you can wipe the Cheeto dust from your fingers which must be Flaming Hot, because you’re so extreme pretending Cata isn’t difficult. If they’re butthurt I’m not dying, they often blame me for it, and somehow can see so clearly what I must’ve done wrong, and act as if I didn’t do everything in my power to save them. I’ve been pruning Steam of players like this by looking up toxic ones from previous games and blocking them.

Before hearing what the average egomaniac says about what’s OP because they have scoreboard envy, I would like to legitimately know the numbers. How many matches are won vs. lost on each difficulty? What are the average steam hours of the players by difficulty? What items were they using? Who’s to say what’s OP and what’s actually underpowered without knowing how difficult the game already is for the average player?

When you’re playing Tank Ironbreaker or Foot Knight and getting jealous of a DPS elf with a Moonfire or Bounty Hunter with Griffon foot pistols getting all the sweet scoreboard padding, ask yourself, what’s your role in the party if they’re doing the DPS? Even a tanky handmaiden with the throwing spears is going to get all the elite enemies and specials; that’s what the spears are for. The problem is, I don’t think enough players enjoy playing a class or with weapons that don’t rack up elite/special kills faster than all the other players. I bet most of the people complaining about OP weapons actually lost the game, and don’t realize despite everyone using so-called OP weapons, most matches are still seen to result in a loss on Legend and Cata. I doubt Moonfire is really the problem here, I think some of the other non-DPS classes just need a bit more stagger and cleave power (particularly against monsters), and some of the standard weapons that see far less use need a few buffs.

Mind you, some of the people taking issue with moonfire in this thread have 2000+ hours and at least a few of them can run modded difficulties solo.

But…the problem with moonfire isnt really that it outputs much more damage than anything else, a good WS hagbane, some wizard builds or griffonfoot bounty can also output insane if not greater amounts of damage. The problem with moonfire is just that it´s too easy to use unconditionally and it does too much, an excessively powerful weapon/career ends up hampering rather than helping the fun of a run.

However your point on the differences in perspective between long timers and newer players is absolutely valid still. And indeed, there are people who have a seriously high opinion of themselves like “cata is easy” which is easy to say after one has played moonfire SoT and just killed everything in sight.

A real test of skill is merc with halberd, that´s manly business, slayer is also a perfectly legitimate option.:wink:

1 Like

I’ll also add that the difference between “QP Legend” and “Legend with buddies on voice comms” is night and day too.

There does have to be some entry level classes and weapons, and Elf fits the bill just fine - coupled with Keri’s popularity increasing the sales of Forgotten Relics helps cashflow.

You can irritate a Moonfire bow player using handgun or something by beating them to the second shot and claiming all their kills though.

There’s all kinds of various valid arguments here, but what many (most?) people have a problem with is that it’s just a really cheeze weapon and feels like an absolute cheeze weapon. Pop a shot at a special, stagger it to stop it’s attack and simply ignore it while still claiming the kill, pump AoE into a horde, don’t worry about ammo, good on all elf classes, and so on blah blah. It’s how it feels to play alongside that’s the real annoyance - for me at least.

It’s like someone switched on some console commands in Skyrim.

3 Likes