Mission selection preference poll

There has been a couple of threads about the mission selection screen.

The random difficulty is not doing it for me, although I see the appeal of the randomized maps and modifiers. I also think in the current state, weekly challenges such as “complete map X with secondary objectives Y time” is a nonsense.

That being said, I am quite curious to have a tendancy about how the Fatshark Forum Community would like to see it evolve.

• Randomised mission selection is fine as it is
  • I would like to choose the difficulty level, but random maps are fine
  • I would like to choose the map, but random difficulties are fine
  • I would like to choose the map and difficulty level, but random modifiers are fine
  • I would like to choose the map, difficulty level and modifiers
  • I would like something else

0 voters

I think there just needs to be more missions per difficulty. If there was a difficulty selector at the bottom of the screen (or something) and then it would swap between 4-5 different possible missions per difficulty, I think that would be ideal.

1 Like

the problem with letting us pick the map is we will ruin the game :wink:
someone will run the numbers and discover one map[ is 30 seconds faster and has 20$ diamintine with a 5% higher success rate and it will be the ONLY map we ever play again.

im a big fan of the random mission . not that it matters but were disposable rejects… we dont pick where we die.

the weekly contract issues well i agree completely but the system needs a redo

I just love Deep Rock Galactic’s system, and Darktide’s is not far off.
Just give me random maps, with random missions, with random modifiers and then let ME decide the difficulty

3 Likes

YOU might, I certainly won’t. Never did that on VT1 or 2.

I’d have liked the maps to have a certain story line through them like VT2 did. Once I’d gone through it from start to finish I just did the quickplay button mostly. So given I can’t have the first bit I guess random maps with my choice of difficulty would work fine. Random mods works fine for me as well.

i wouldnt say ruin but the same few maps turning up every time i hit quick play did get a little dull , thankfully chaos wastes rackerd up and i didnt run a normal map again

Even with a very small group of respondents so far there is a very marked trend toward wanting more agency in the mission selection screen.

I really hope Fatshark will consider this in a not-so-far future community survey or patch.

I want all maps available and to get a random map, like Quickplay. I don’t want to choose maps.

if you mention deep rocks system then dont forget to mention it has a mission browser as far as i remember, meaning you have that random available maps thing but you also have a browser to chose some specific mission somebody is already running and see how many players and what classes it has, no?

and in general, clearly id want more control over matchmaking in every kind of way, not only which mission i want to play or with what modifiers or difficulty.
including a session browser and quickplay with ALL maps (including outside the current rotation) and filters of all kinds and the possibility to switch class inside a lobby and see others loadout or at least have time to discuss it in order to be able adapt to the team, which still gets abandoned after every mission so i end up with new randoms every mission. imo this topic requires far more work than a simple control over what map i play with which conditions in terms of difficulty and modifier.
let alone the horrible map selection ui that doesnt even fit all maps in its current random rotation at times and takes too much time to look around and get an overview of what maps with what difficulties are currently available and for how long, after WALKING to the terminal every time and taking time to load the hub when leaving a lobby i dont like! but hell, they are already working on a solution to make us spawn closer to the terminal to solve that issue instead of make the mission selection accessible from the esc menu… since more than a month… must be really complicated to set up another spawn location, let alone a button from the menu or a hotkey… …like vermintide already had? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the easy fix to that is you have everything available.
Then you got quick play that finds you a random game on random map on the difficulty you pick and you get a bonus reward that’s more than the 5% slightly more efficient meta map.

quick disclaimer obviously im just speculating here but…

I imagine the system is as is for a few reasons. the first will be to keep que times fast and make sure lobbies are filled timely, the second i suspect is to stop us chain running efficient maps and the last reason i can think of is to plan for the future as they open more areas (the sister city to tertium is being teased heavily and that sounds either completely taken over /bombed) there just a lot of places we could go.

so with that in mind i think the mission map offers us a selection of maps based on the amount of each difficulty currently being played, allowing it to dynamically shift to player demand .

if im right i dont think they will offer us a free selection,(i think private pre made lobbies and solo +bot lobbies could be given free choice but as thats going to increase a lot of UI needs i doubt its high priority) it might be ok today but a year from now with lower player numbers and more places to go it could make it hard to fill lobbies and its not something you want to give then take back.
id hope to see an increase on the number of maps available and perhaps an increase in cycle times

All of that is what quickplay already should be and is.

There is no other benefit to so heavily restricting the selection/difficulty of missions especially when it tries to be linked to another system that wants you to do specific maps and/or secondary objectives. I’ve had entire sessions where there were bad map/difficulty combinations/no secondaries and that turns me off playing, exacerbating the player numbers issue.