Launch Error Unexpected error (0xC0020015)

I have not been able to play this game once. I cannot find any reference to the above error code, or any list anywhere of error codes to know where to start troubleshooting.

Very frustrating. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, ended up with the same issue.

GUID: d62456b6-d41e-4bb4-8263-811d763d7c7e
Log File:
Info Type:

I seem to have the same symptoms, but the GUID is different.

Reproduction steps:

1. Open steam, select Warhammer: Vermintide 2
  2. Click play
  3. Wait for launcher to appear
  4. Make sure that “Official Realm” is selected, and click Play

Observed failure
Launch error
Unexpected error (0xC0020015)

GUID: b4d8578c-9d2a-4d37-b0a3-cb565e25d378
Log File:
Info Type:

Expected behavior:
Vermintide 2 will launch

Additional information:
Launching with “Modified realm” does not cause failure.
Suspect issue from EAC.

Pertinent log file from EAC gamelauncher.log
[Info] Desktop screen settings detected. DPI: 96 DPI Multiplier: 1.000000 BPP: 32.
[Err!] Failed to load localization for: ‘en-US’.
[Warn] Localization error: ‘F’.
[Info] Defaulting to the default localization (en-US).
[Info] Using custom name for Settings.json.
[Info] Settings file full path: ‘D:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Warhammer Vermintide 2\launcher\EasyAntiCheat\Launcher\vermintide2_dx12.json’.
[Info] Start. ExecutablePath: ‘D:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Warhammer Vermintide 2\launcher…\binaries_dx12\vermintide2_dx12.exe’ LaunchParameters: ‘’ WorkingDirectory: ‘’.
[Info] Finished window initialization.
[Info] [LauncherProgress] 0%.

Info] [LauncherFinished] EACAsyncResult: 4 Message: ‘Unexpected error. (0xC0020015)’.
[Info] Exit button pressed by user.
[Info] Unloading the EasyAntiCheat library.
[Info] Destroying windows.
[Info] Exit.

I do have process monitor logs. Let me know if you have a dropbox where I can upload it.

Please note, I was able to launch another EAC enabled game, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2, without observing a failure.

This is an error produced by our anti-cheat service, Easy Anti-Cheat. If you haven’t already, please repair Easy Anti-Cheat using the EasyAntiCheat_Setup executable located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Warhammer Vermintide 2\installers\EasyAntiCheat

Furthermore, please ensure the appropriate Anti-Virus and Firewall exceptions are in place for both Vermintide 2 and the Easy Anti-Cheat service.

Lastly, please check that the Easy Anti-Cheat service is enabled by:

1. Open the Command Prompt as an administrator
  2. Enter the command:
    services.msc
  3. Locate Easy Anti-Cheat within the list and double-click it
  4. Change ‘Startup Type’ to ‘Manual’
  5. Save your changes

If the above solutions are unsuccessful, I’d recommend you reach out to Easy Anti-Cheat directly: https://www.easy.ac/en-us/support/game/contact/tech/

I figured out it was EAC. I have tried all of that. None of it worked.

Have you tried repairing Vermintide 2 as well in Steam? (I assume you have)

Which version of Windows are you using?

Do you have the lines above this one? Might be helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.