Is this Auric or The Kobayashi Maru?

Dear Devs,

Are Silent Pox Bombers, Silent Trappers, or Houdini Hellhounds a thing now for Auric Missions??
Seems as if when i’m with a good team and we’re not missing a beat… sure enough through all the fire and brimstone we’ve created …OUT OF NOWHERE …i’m trapped in a net and get pulled through all the fire and carnage … it’s a Silent Trapper… normally trappers make themselves announced by giggling, being a mouth breather… or saying " scary Loyalist" ( i think thats what they say from a far). Either that or its getting pulled from behind …With no warning!..

Same with Pox bombers!! no ticking noise but just see it fly out of nowhere OR from a nearby door …with its chirping noise and BOOM !! i’m screwed!! -_- OR when i’m giving some mauler or crusher a lil TLC and BAM!! a hound literally appears behind them to pounce!! …

So is this a new Auric thing ?? a straight up Kobayashi Maru?? (Star Trek reference)

4 Likes

For me, it seems like those issues have been almost entirely fixed.

With some weaker groups, it can be quite challenging at times, but i have not really had any issues with missing sounds, lately.

5 Likes

This is what the Spidey Sense mod is for. If the game cheats, then so will I.

6 Likes

It took me quite a while to figure out but I’m pretty certain she’s saying “snaring loyalists” :+1:

4 Likes

Auric has been OK for me with the exception of maelstrom - which is 90% impossible most the time atm, or so it seems. Trapper nets traveling through crowds is the biggest culprit for me but enemies have too much HP too. Shouldn’t take 6 swings of an Ogryn club to kill a trapper.

I hapilly survive and complete 90% of auric damnation missions. Loads of fun.

But auric maelstrom… Seems to be a 10% chance of survival tbh. Usually a zealot steams off ahead then dies, then rage quits then leaves us to mop up and hey presto the sadistic game director decides that’s the best time to unleash 200 crushers and balwarks and 30,000 trappers and hounds. I get that it’s meant to be difficult but it feel like a bit of a joke compared to normal auric damnation missions. The pinch points where it can happen too is just silly… Spaces that could never physically accommodate half as many bodies, so you can’t tell what’s going on anyway as it’s a sea of enemies. I think the game director needs tweaked for maelstrom.

2 Likes

There is no HP difference between regular damnation, auric damnation and auric maelstrom.
Damnation maelstrom enemies have the same amount of HP as regular damnation enemies, unless the enemy is shiny green in a maelstrom with “nurgles blessing” modifier.

You can 1-2 shot them. Unless your attack hit a bunch of other enemies before the trapper.

1 Like

Using a shield with 135 base damage and roughly 70% across all other stats, it takes a minimum of 4-5 light melee swings to kill a lone trapper. This is very consistent from my experience.

Even on auric damnation it should not take more than 2 light melee hits to kill the smallest framed enemies imo.

If enemy hp is fine then ogryn melee needs some higher damage points. Its pretty boring having to ‘work’ so much on such puny enemies. Charging the melee attack every damn time is also monotonous AH.

If you choose to hit them with the weakest attack that you have, idk what else to tell you.

6 Likes

This is what perks like +25% maniac damage are for. HP values are pretty fine across he board for almost all enemies.

Same here. Been playing nothing but Auric Maelstrom and despite the barrage of special spawns the sounds are coming through 99% of the time. Very rarely you get the occasional silent crusher.

1 Like

:+1: 25% flak/maniac skullcrusher/brutal momentum heavy 1 / push / light repeat.
usually this way my shield ploughs through anything even after skullcrusher nerf.

bully I with haymaker is my new love, which i found surprisingly late, and knife IV when i wanna go faster.

all in auric maelstrom exlusively and already at 4/5 penance progress as well, again, after the umpteenth time… damn now i jinxed it :rofl:

so europe server late afternoon till 1am i´d say 70ish % success rate.

Not new at all, sadly. Since Oct 3:rd’s console release & class overhaul there’s been a whole horde of sound issues:

• Trappers virtually never made any sounds before firing, so depending on range you’d have 0.2-1s to guess where and when to dodge
  • Dogs & muties often have the same issue, except they have no firing sounds so it’s just an instagrab out of nowhere
  • Poxbursters likewise got soundless after a while, and it took them a few months to fix that (you can imagine what it was like back then I’m sure)
  • Even crushers & maulers occasionally bug out so you can get instakilled from behind with no warning

They’ve actually fixed a lot of these issues, pox bursters especially, and even nerfed the Trapper’s ability to shoot through corners and fences somewhat. But many of those issues are still there. Trappers still almost never make any sounds at all.

It is what it is. Your survival used to be about skill and awareness, but for over half a year now blind luck has been just as important or more. Tbh I just quit and start another mission when the AI starts cheating like that, it’s better for my emotional balance than staying. Wouldn’t be so bad if leaving didn’t lose every bit of progress you’ve made in the mission. :cry:

1 Like

The weakest attack from an OGRYN with an enormous club. on a human.

I don’t know what else to tell you either.

I’m sure you’ll say it’s a “skill issue” next.

Fixed that for you

3 Likes

i´d rather see it from a balancing point of view, what reason would a charged heavy attack have, to spend time and potential incoming damage on, if the light attack was sufficient in clearing mobs ?

bull butcher knife does this pretty decent enough, used it for ages, still its light swinging all the way.

in reality a crowbar gets the job done to cave a head in, take hafthor bjornsson into account doens´t make the victim more dead in the end.

i love my ogryn, like the size and “heft” that feel behind his blows, but the game´s laws gotta function somehow, lest it´ll be light spamming all the way.

1 Like

Nurgle doesn’t make their bones less brittle. Pretty sure an Ogryn bat swing would explode a humanoid skull like a melon.

But whatever. I’m not interested in a pages-long argument over semantics.

I just think the weaker attacks on ogryn melee need buffs. It’s just downright boring having to hit even the weakest enemies over and over. Even taking multiple seconds to charge the melee into a heavy hit still requires more than one attempt to kill a trapper and other similar weak enemies. That’s total nonsense.

I’m killing the enemies and staying alive just fine (before the inevitable “iTs A sKiLl iSsUe” gets thrown in). It just ain’t fun. Having to work on an armoured or fervoured enemy feels normal but having to do it to pretty much all enemies is very boring and unnecessary.

You either spam lights with a bull butcher or use the heavy attacks which have 1,5 trees dedicated to them with talents. I don’t know what to tell you, when a heavy can 1-2 tap a crusher depending on your setup. There’s also the little fact that you’re effectively unkillable in a horde with heavy melee swings due to insane toughness regen. Not every class has to be the same, and Ogryn Melee is in a cool and unique place compared to others tbh.

Ogryn melee doesn’t really need a buff, he just needs more melee weapons in general. Your entire issue could be solved without any melee buffs by simply giving him a two handed weapon with higher base dmg for instance.

2 Likes

I’m setup using the left side of skill tree and in no world whatsoever can you 1-2 hit a crusher. Even a fully charged melee takes at least 4 hits on one of them.

You playing auric damnation?? Because that’s absolutely not the case there.

You are complaining about the light attack damage of the most defensive weapon in the game, that lets you block everything including crusher overheads.

Other ogryn weapons (the one that are about dealing damage) do not have this issue.

Nobody is forcing you to use the shield. Nobody is forcing you to spam light attacks.
If you want to deal more damage, use a weapon that is about dealing damage.
Of course you won’t be able to go afk while blocking anymore, but that is the price you pay for dealing more damage.

2 Likes

False equivalence there. Blocking is nothing to do with what I’m discussing and even if it were, then there is no world in which a giant human sized braining-club is “defensive”. It’s a weapon for mincing enemies.

I swear people would argue the sky in red on these forums.

If you think that 6 swings or an ogryns huge club is acceptable for lowly enemies then “I don’t know what to say” either so guess we’d all stop replying to one another for lack of words.

Dude…

This is a game.
Not real life.
Yes, a massive club swung by a guy that size, would realistically kill those enemies in 1 hit.

But it wouldn’t make for the greatest balance, if an ogryn could just walk around and slap every enemy to death in an instant.

You were not discussing blocking, but you were talking about the damage output of a weapon that has great crowd control and the strongest defensive capabilities in the game.
A weapon with insane defensive capabilities like the ogryn shield, needs drawbacks.
The drawback is, that it does not deal the greatest damage.

If you do not understand this, you might have something in common with the guy that you play the game as.

In this situation, it seems like you are one of those people.

2 Likes