Is Brahms some sort of Amazon?

Kind of wondering after the recent update… After all, Brahms:

• Mentions she’s glad that mother isn’t around to see the current state of the Mourningstar, implying that her father wasn’t connected to the matter of running the ship

• The only known crewmember of the Mourningstar is Alice Hallowette, who is apparently also Brahms’ enforcer/fixer/assassin

• All of Brahms’ voidmasters are women (which can be ascertained from the fact that she orders Rejects to the voidmistress of their deck under certain circumstances, but also makes reference to troublesome voidsmen amongst the crew

Sefoni might be another piece of evidence, although I suspect she’s more likely to be part of Grendyl’s entourage, but yeah, the whole thing seems like a very “amazonian” arrangement in the old, Classical sense.

Or it’s just bad writing. That’s always a possibility.

Eh, there’s Kayex, the Chief Enginseer, and all the dudes in fancy clothes (and therefore, presumably, important positions) seen in the World Intro Trailer.

2 Likes

Probably the latter. Sometimes writers get really caught up in the whole representation stuff that and forget to make the whole coherent and fitting. Especially bad within the entire rogue trader concept, writers generally stop thinking about the fact that they’re operating within the wh40k setting.
The most interesting and coolest characters in darktide imo are the new penance NPC (forgot her name oops) they introduced and Enginseer Kayex. Precisely because they’re so quintessentially 40k, rather than being defined by being a totally unique OC that the setting has NEVER seen before (!!!)

3 Likes

I’m not sure if all her Voidmasters are women, and not just the one of the Deck we are housed on, but Rogue Trader are a particularity, they are Dynasties on their own right, where it’s a Meritocracy, so everything is possible.

As for Hallowette, I don’t think i’ve heard the voice lines implying that she was an Enforcer and an Assassin.

You wouldn’t have said anything if the genders were reversed

It can’t be a hereditary, dynastic system AND a meritocracy.

It’s both, you have the Rogue Trader kids/cousins… that have to prove themselves to their elders

And it’s also a meritocracy for their own crews

Anything involving someone being “chosen” isn’t meritocratic because it is easily influenced by personal biases in an autocratic system like a rogue trader house. You can’t have a system where advancement is possible because daddy likes you more or where thinning the competition by assassination is perfectly viable and then call it a “meritocracy”

Nah she just works for Amazon

1 Like

Brahm Bezos

Our reject are barely treated better than Amazon Warehouse employee

1 Like

Right, I forgot about dear old Kayex…

Agreed.

I heard a shipboard vox from Brahms mentioning a Voidmaster Rex literally just a few minutes ago, so yes, it appears that not all of the Mourningstar’s voidmasters are, in fact, voidmistresses, but it is curious that Brahms refers to them collectively as such (or maybe all of the voidmasters with collective authority over each deck are women; I dunno).

One of the new vox messages from Brahms in the update has her addressing the Rejects concerning the rumours that she exiles problematic crewmen to an asteroid (seemingly calling back to that one exchange between Melk and Hallowette where he’s trying to go through her to get an audience with Brahms), with Brahms stating, irritably, that no, she doesn’t space her enemies, she poisons them, and then she goes on to further clarify that she actually has Hallowette handle such dirty work for her (referring to Hallowette by implication as her “hound”).

The ordinary is usually not worthy of comment.

LOL

Yeah. I know Rogue Traders are supposed to be habituated to acting independently for the most part, but you’d think that Brahms could set aside her irritation with Grendyl commandeering her vessel on the basis of the sheer stakes involved in the Atoma situation and stop taking it out on us poor Rejects… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.