Why is Hallowette being pushed so obnoxiously?

90% of the new Mourningstar idle chatter is either her or about her. Is it not enough to have her run missions and scam people with MTX, you now have to prop her up in the story as well?

6 Likes

I have no idea why they do this.

Brahms too. Why just suddenly inundate us with loads of weird vox from her? (I wouldnā€™t mind so much, but shouldnā€™t she be busy running the ship?)

So much of the vox stuff is just boring, useless chatter that feels more like private communications than actual deck-wide vox comms. In terms of design, its awful and actually drives me away rather than keeping me interested.

We need an audio option to mute such voice chatter. If it was designed better from the start (many people were saying that they hoped the voices would be less repetetive and annoying than Vermintide 2, you failed Fatshark. You failed to learn and iterate), I would not have this complaint.

Oh and Sefoni and the Barber running a mission actually made me cringe. ā€œIf we give them 3 different mission handlers per mission itā€™ll feel less boring.ā€ Stop using all your characters like a child with crayons. Use them sparingly, when they feel appropriate. Less is more. Let the mission breathe. Too much chatter, too much attempt at witty background dialogue. Its awful.

5 Likes

Running a trade ship at high anchor with nothing to trade with nobody?

I think it makes sense that she has plenty of time on her hands and is getting restless.

2 Likes

yeah just sitting on the bridge with the vox button occasionally sending us messages to remind us weā€™re scum and gotta go die for the Imperium.

I get the idea, again with Fatshark, someone had a good idea. But its executed badly, clumsily and stupidly. I realise I might sound angry, and I am. Fatshark let me down here, Darktide was my dream game and Iā€™m watching them fumble it repeatedly like a nervous teenager on his first date.

How could they not tell, that after a while walking down the Mourningstar might get a bitā€¦ annoying? How many voices are now yapping in the background? ā€œI hear youā€™ve beenā€¦ā€ ā€œI have contracts availaā€¦ā€ ā€œAWRITE DARLINā€¦ā€

No one else? Everyone else is fine with audio bombardment? Slaaneshi cultists much?

4 Likes

Itā€™s disruptive certainly.
What I would like to have instead are those radio global broadcasts that happen from time to time. Like that phrase ā€œGive the Emperor all that you are, receive from Him all that you deserveā€.
These play on the background and are way cooler I believe.

7 Likes

YES! Absolutely. I think those are actually perfect.

4 Likes

At this point I donā€™t even want a story anymore. Just give me the option to mute certain if not all NPCs.
None of them have anything remotely interesting to say. Both their dialogue and ā€˜characterā€™ is flat af.

3 Likes

Yes please.

Relating to the OP, isnā€™t it weird though, that they made Hallowette so unlikable? Youā€™d think, from a design view, youā€™d want the shop person to be someone you enjoy talking to.

And yet Hallowette is rude, spiteful and self-centred. She has zero respect for others, unless it directly benefits her, and intentionally inflames the situation with Morrow at every possible opportunity. Sheā€™s a literal hazard aboard the ship, and a liability in a combat zone.

I hate how theyā€™ve portrayed her. I always imagined Rogue Trader crews as cool, dangerous people. If she was anything like Lohner, in terms of presentation, Iā€™d be overjoyed to interact with her as an NPC.

I guess it saves me money, as psychologically I am pushed away from the premium store.

3 Likes

By the Throneā€¦ sheā€™s literally a perfect personification of MTX.

7 Likes

fatsharkā€™s using the vox chat to (slowly) move the story along to the next actual event, which is probably the best way to do it given we have no chance of ever actually being cleared for that information so scuttlebuttā€™s what weā€™d go off of. very rarely you even hear voicelines from peopleā€™s characters which is how i heard that rejects are on limited rations since very recently.

halloette is mostly pushed because sheā€™s actively interacting with the rejects. sheā€™s also annoying as crap on purpose, iā€™m assuming to keep people from thinking their goal should be buying cosmetics over playing. the two probably arenā€™t related, but sheā€™s the closest thing to zolaā€™s role brahms has for us. she seems to be the main point of contact for everyone in the warband under rannikā€™s level of authority actually.

They try to characterize her so weirdly too. Instead of acknowledging her as obnoxious (which she is and thereā€™s nothing wrong with having intentionally obnoxious characters in a story if done well), everyone ingame is referring to her like sheā€™s some sort of scary individual that dishes out punishment on the morning star. It doesnā€™t make sense to me at all. What do they even want this character to be?

4 Likes

I remember back at launch she would insult my veteran every time I accidentally opened the store on my way to the armoury. Now itā€™s all ā€œMY DARLINGā€.

The voice chat is a little annoying but not as annoying as the new voiceovers for the hab dreyko mission where no-name nobles weā€™ve never seen or met make seemingly random voice quips about everything while morrow tries to shut them up as politely as possible. As well as not making any sense the voicework feels very phoned in, like they drafted random fatshark members instead of actual voice actors.

3 Likes

There was a patch that literally made her less obnoxious when they could have just Servitorā€™d her into a decent character instead. Seriously when the game came out she would annoy you while you were walking to Bruntā€™s Armory which was over there for the sake of making you walk by Hallowetteā€™s store. I think the guy that designed the smirking giggling hand-wringing goblin in that one LoTR in-game store created her.

1 Like

Thatā€™s her point. Her being obnoxious, bratty, egotistical and ultimately - very utilitarian is the point.
In a way it is self-aware writing, as she does resemble the cosmetics store. The question of whether you will love or hate her really depends on whether you like well-written annoying characters or not. Whether it takes you into the immersion or out of it, to experience the antics of that archetype. I think itā€™s done well, but I understand that you may also get tired of it.
She does have main character syndrome, very clearly. Especially the dumb fights she picks with others on the ship, as if she had the upper hand vs an inquisitor or general.

No no no.

All of the characters are one dimensional, and badly written. There is no way, youā€™re convincing me, that Hallowette is written well. She has a single mode, and its ā€œsmug know it allā€. Just like all the characters. One mode, one concept, hammered over and over until it is so unbelievably boring that you just want the voices to shut up.

Please give me a mute option. Please.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s because they took the multi-personal component out. Originally every character that is a mission_vo had a liked and a disliked archetype and their dialogue would change based on that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.