Huntsman needs buff

I have explained this in the first post; obv no. I have simply said that a blunderbuss’ hit (weapon with short range and slow rate of fire) + active has be able to inflict more damage than a melee attack or Kiri’s arrow.
Imho, fair damage, should be like BH’s rep pistol (obv using huntsman’s active and only in very close range).

You dont need the 2 seconds draw to oneshot every special (except chaos sorcerers) on Legend, so I fail to see the issue here. Just firing as fast as possible kills everything.

This is completely false. I just hopped into Against the Grain on Legendary and shot some Stormvermin in the field and it was taking 3 to 4 body shots with left click compared to a single full drawn attack to one shot them.

While you may see Beam Staff or Volley Crossbows as boring but the fact is that a weapon like Longbow that is only good at like 10% or 20% of a map when your entire character is focused and built around that weapon isn’t a good feeling either. If I’m going to just do Halberd most of the match why wouldn’t I just play Foot Knight and bring CC or Merc and bring resses and attack speed?

My issue is that Huntsman lacks a versatile ranged weapon. The Longbow is the only actual viable Huntsman weapon currently and it’s a precision weapon that has no precision and is only useful a small percentage of the time. As for the Waystalker comparison they have various ammo mechanics that allow for them to be liberal in their bow usage. They also have their Ultimate which allows them to aim towards specials around corners or over hordes which again the Huntsman really can’t do with his choices.

Again, I never said Huntsman sucks. What I’ve said is his weapon selection makes him sub-optimal. That doesn’t mean you can’t complete Legendary nor does it mean he’s 100% useless. It just means in most cases you would do even better with bringing alternatives because his alternatives bring more to the table.

3 Likes

Kodiak is right… 550 power on champion:
-stormvermin needs a charged bodyshot to die;
-leech with a charged bodyshot doen’t die;
-Big guy with big axe without armor (mauler?) with a charged bodyshot doen’t die;
-hockrat without charged attack doen’t die;
-berserker needs a charged bodyshot;
-to efficient kill CW you need active but it’s last for only 5s so you must not have distractions…

I don’t see big difference from Kery, a girl with infinite ammo, regen and active for special/crowd;
And this only about best huntsman weapon… nobody talks about other garbage weapons (just blunder is good, but it doesn’t damage against bosses).

The worst thing about Huntsman is that you are all but forced to use the Longbow. Repeater handgun may be the worst ranged weapon in the game. Blunderbuss and Handgun has way too few shots. The Longbow is basically a better Handgun. Also while the Longbow is a great ranged weapon, it absolutely does not make sense with Huntsman’s passive headshot ammo return. It’s just not quite accurate enough to reliably get headshots.

1 Like

“Bow absolutely does not make sense with Huntsman’s passive headshot ammo return. It’s just not quite accurate enough to reliably get headshots.”
Another big issue.

I feel like I play Huntsman just to be able to use the Longbow because I hate the repeater handgun, the handgun, and the blunderbuss.

Then I feel frustrated while playing Huntsman for missing headshots due to the Longbow’s inaccuracy. I also don’t think it’s just my ability as a player because it’s relative to the weapons. I think I typically land over twice as many headshots that I attempt with Kerillian’s Longbow/Swiftbow, maybe even three-four times as many.

taking 3 to 4 body shots with left click compared to a single full drawn attack to one shot them.

We apparently misunderstood each other because I didnt mean just left clicks, they’re trash. But using a charged shot and firing it immediately when possible does oneshot SVs among others, and it doesnt take 2 seconds to fire.

10% or 20% of a map

Oneshotting elites, specials and nuking bosses is 10 to 20% of a map? Are you kidding me? Do you even play on Legend?

The Longbow is the only actual viable Huntsman weapon currently

This is a problem I agree with. Handgun serves no purpose. Repeater is a joke.

his alternatives bring more to the table.

They really dont though. Foot Knight brings boss stunlocking which is incredibly overrated and faster boss DPS is much more useful in most teams. Mercenary brings a long cooldown resurrect that you perhaps wouldnt need in the first place if you had a better special killer, which Huntsman is. Huntsman also brings to the table unquestionably the best chaos warrior killing power in the entire game, and can singlehandedly take out a legend chaos patrol, as long as you have a single potion with the tripot trinket. And that’s a massive boon when those patrols are wipefests to most teams.

I don’t think it’s good design to have players want to play a career because they hate all other ranged weapons available to the other careers.

1 Like

Thanks for this post. Too many people that played beta and have no clue how this game works or ability to play it think hes useless now and whine on all different channels. I think huntsman is totally fine right now as well. Minor balance changes could be applied to any career at this point, but i think he fulfills this role quite good. Most players whining just want their press F and win gameplay back so they dont need to put any effort in.

I do agree that he needs a second option for a ranged weapon though. Looking at the handguns that are sadly quite underperforming at the moment.

Bow, in fact, isn’t a garbage weapon… but it is missing some important point:
-it should kill, with one charged bodyshot, also Leech, big guy with big axe (Mauler?) and Berserker (I don’t remember if he can already does it);
-fixed zoom;
-it should not be focused on headshot to damage bosses (this is Keri style);
-two charged bodyshots to kill CW is ok; but the active 5s are few.

The real problem is the other weapons, of which no one speaks.

Huntsman doubles effective range of your ranged weapons, AND gives you 50% more ammo, 18 vs 12. You can already blast specials and elites at midrange, it isn’t a ‘close range’ weapon at all. But with Huntsman you can blast specials far into the distance just point and shoot. It is a very strong weapon, but most of the traits/talents are ineffective with them. But you can use the push right click to headshot to restore ammo, and infinite pushes are very good on the blunderbuss, also do damage to infantry. It is a very good pick one of the best weapons in the game, fast kill time, that with good response time will save your team from a ton of specials and elites.

But Huntsman probably feels best when the rest of your team is built around benefiting from the crit bonus. Make 'em Bleed is verygood.

I also have a friend who uses handgun and he is very accurate with it so I’m not sure where those complaints are coming from.

2 many people that take conclusions before playing the career.

Kruber has some sharp edges, but the longbow is fine.

We apparently misunderstood each other because I didnt mean just left clicks, they’re trash. But using a charged shot and firing it immediately when possible does oneshot SVs among others, and it doesnt take 2 seconds to fire.

If you record it and then rewatch the vid and time it out with a stopwatch it takes around 1.5 to 2.0 seconds to draw the bow far enough to reach full damage and reload. Anything less than that time frame is not full damage. The reload animation is non-optional and can’t be cancelled on the Longbow as well as part of it. Not all specials require a full draw shot to one shot them, but most of them do on Legendary. None of this even addresses the point his ammo return mechanic is tied to headshots when he literally gets less accurate the more he zooms in.

We were talking about what Huntsman excels at, specifically Chaos Patrols and Bosses which saying they’re 10-20% of a map is generous. Any number of classes can one shot Elites and Specials. This is not something unique to the Huntsman. I can one shot Elites and Specials with Kruber’s Handgun on Merc or Foot Knight even (and yes, body shots even).

Your arguments against Knight and Merc are very one dimensional and make it seem like you have very little experience with them. Charge can be used in a multitude of scenarios and anyone who claims to play Legendary as much as you do know that bad things can happen and people go down. More over these are each only one aspect of what these characters bring to a group.

On the other hand you keep trotting out the single scenario of the Chaos Warrior Patrol. Frankly I don’t know why because all it takes is one Ironbreaker to taunt a Patrol and the rest of the team is going to mop them up over the next 15 seconds even if they did so in melee. So saying nonsense like him single handedly taking out anything when you already have a team who can do it is a pretty weak argument considering that encounter still only happens some times.

1 Like

You right, I know… blunderbuss is a good weapon; but it doesn’t inflict damage to bosses, and this is a big problem for dps pg.

I agree. And also: CW patrol will be fixed, so you can avoid them.

A curiosity: “specifically Chaos Patrols” how? Forcing tripot? Because, with active 5s and with bodyshot, you can kill only two CWs; and, an headshot, it’s not always possible.

I’m not exactly experienced with making clips but maybe this at least highlights a bit what I’m trying to say. Legend true duo Screaming Bell. Had a chaos patrol spawn on top of us. IMPORTANT: I threw a frag at the patrol to soften them up so I wouldnt have to go for headshots. I’m not sure about the filesizes here so I can also post the entire fight (about 1 minute) if someone wants it. That’s 4 dead chaos warriors during a single use of his active, with the speed from the previous potion making it so easy. I think I could have even taken out 5 if I timed it just right. Thats why the tripot is so powerful (wasnt using it here tho).

EDIT: I tested out if the frag was unnecessary, and it was if I would have been using a tripot. A non-crit longbow bodyshot will oneshot a chaos warrior to torso when under the effects of tripot. I was also using +8% power to chaos on my longbow and +20% crit power on my charm if they have an effect.

Huntsman is definitely his best class by far. Its great if you just use the longbow and don’t get dicked by weaponswap. Sadly the other weapons are pretty much worthless.

Handgun should get more ammo with Huntsman.
Haven’t tried Blunderbus enough.
My opinion about the longbow is in this post. A suggestion how to improve Krubers longbow

Nice videoclip; in fact I haven’t said that bow is garbage… but is still lacks something:

• it should kill (firing a charged bodyshot) also leech and mauler;
  • zoom should be fixed;
  • changing weapons is terrible… too slow? Just bugged? Improve/fix it.
  • most important: one shotting CW with tripot or granade imho is inconsistent (and a pg can’t base his full style in a single granade/perk)… but shotting without them, is op; so two bodyshots are ok, but active should give us more seconds. Also, basing this discussion on CW patrol is wrong because tripot could be nerf (there isn’t reason, but…) and, anyway, CW patrol will be fixed so players will can avoid them.