How would you react to this post if it were by FatShark?

Cool wow thanks. And? Darktide will either update or die.

I never said I was the silent minority or that they are even enjoying it. But ranting the same five points every five minutes is old. Don’t like them don’t play. Like play. It’s really that simple.

2 Likes

But isn’t acknowledging their failures the first step towards fixing them ?

It was, they have very clearly stated their view on the game on the media by now, I don’t want to be lied to my face again.

No, there’s no first step anymore, they’ve burned that card, only fixes can help, but apparently they believe they’ve fixed a good portion of the issues already, as said by one of the studio heads on an interview.

4 Likes

Wow childish hiding direct responses. Trolls really are. If it doesn’t fit your ooh bad narrative it’s off topic? Please.

2 Likes

Well if they want to be the kind of company to sell dreams and deliver shart covered gems, sit on their ill-earned sales money and carry on doing that so be it, but they’re going to have quite the bad rep.

I also personally doubt it’s the case, it’d be devastating as a designer myself to work for profit and not for the love of the medium.
In their shoes I’d strive to make the best game I could, not the game that would sell the most. Sure, it sold, but obviously in a contentious state. I doubt I’d be proud of that. Of course they have to stay positive in an interview and it is not the place to adress community grievances, but the message it sends is still off.

Also, as I’ve already said, I don’t really care about the cosmetics shop or the layout of the mourningstar. I do find they’re expensive for being just cosmetics, but I don’t have to buy them to enjoy the game. Their tactics are bad, they could change them, but other than that, again, I don’t mind.
I care tenfold more about fixing the systems that carry long-term-investment into the game in my eyes : end-to-end equipment crafting and mission selection mainly.

4 Likes

That’s a very binary way of looking at things. If something gets ranted about every 5 minutes, it’s usually because it’s still happening, or in a lot of cases someone new is piping up with their opinion of it.

The “Don’t like don’t play” attitude is incredibly myopic for a game that touts itself as a game “living and growing with the community”. I bet a lot of people still here love the game (or rather, bits of it) whether they’re negative or positive about it and the combination of sweeping generalisations about someone not liking a part of a game as someone who doesn’t like the game at all and dismissing any feedback with “just leave” is incredibly condescending and doesn’t help the game at all.

8 Likes

Actions speak louder than words … so prove it.
Realistically i would never see them saying something like this. Especially not after some of the recent interview shenanigans.

An interview is a publicity stunt.
On one hand he appears delusional, on the other he couldn’t say “yeah the game has issues we could’ve done better” if the point is to make an advertisement. It wasn’t meant as a community announcement. If that were on these fora or on their site and linked by their twitter/instagram etc., then it would be an official statement to us and then it would be intolerable.

(Actually maybe it is and I missed it, but I don’t think it was the case given it’s an article gated behind a swedish paywall and all we’ve had is an automatic translation on reddit)

I agree that if they publish such a post as the OP, there would be lots of doubting - but I would be reassured as to what they plan on doing ; since right now I don’t even trust where they’re going.

1 Like

Obviously yes it is mostly a PR thing, but you have been here long enough to know exactly how inconsistent fatshark can be with these things so until i see it happen i will remain sceptical of anything.

2 Likes

That’s true, they have a lot of inertia. Which is also why I’d like an early idea of their heading, cause chances are they’re digging further into the bad “design intent”.
There is indeed nothing to do but wait and see anyway, I’ll give all y’all that point.

1 Like

Correct. We need thousands.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t that apply to you, too? If you like the game, just go play it. Simple as.

4 Likes

I think I would upvote it and be glad to see it but probably not comment.

reviewers arent “a community” its a sample ofcourse not everyone writes a rewview but, they are representative of the overall reception.

I would be playing, waiting for a bug fix.

If we are realistic, such a post will probably never be written by FatShark. And I don’t think that FatShark has the intention to seriously address all the points. In retrospect, FatShark has always just released content, maybe patched it up a bit to a point where serious flaws became acceptable, and then released the next project in a half-baked state. That’s why I don’t see a 180° turnaround with Darktide, which might be desirable for some features from a user perspective. And even if they express the intention, I would strongly doubt it at this point… I mean, we’ve had this setting before with WoM and yet we’re back at this point, despite all the good intentions FatShark had for 2022 (I think everyone can decide for themselves how far the “WHERE WE’RE GOING” category has been met). Nonetheless, they made something good out of Verminthide that they can probably achieve for Darktide as well, but I don’t think it will live up to the expectations that many derived from the pre-release announcements. Also, as a “Game as Service” it probably won’t meet the expectations that are optimally associated with such a concept.

At this point I think (once again) it is best if actions follow instead of words… also because hardly anyone should still believe these words. Still, the OP is a nice dream scenario that might even have been received positively if it had been posted by FatShark… but at the end of the beta and not now. :sweat_smile:

Half the problem is that they announced that problems like the rng loot acquisition would not be a thing in Darktide. So either they don’t understand, or don’t want to realize that DTs system is ten times worse than VT2s. (That makes it sound like VT2s system is good. It was not. It is horribly time consuming, unnecessarily complicated, full of hogwash descriptions and interactions, and grindy.)

VT2 also wouldn’t be half as nice to play if Mods wouldn’t have been implemented into the base game, and some stuff like the loadout manager getting sanctioned. Both of which is impossible to happen in the current DT.

Exactly. The past showed enough times that FS is taking their own words not seriously.
You cant even trust their patchnotes.

2 Likes

I would get really worried because the moment they actually PROMISE something, it tends to never happen.

In fact, they tend to leave the most impactful stuff out of patch notes as well. I have a feeling some of their developers actually ninja-improve things without telling anyone because they cannot watch the dumpster fire anymore.

1 Like

Not even Code-Ninjas can save us now.
Ever since the Daimyo seized the modding-Ronin’s wealth and subsequently forbade them from entering the realm, things have gotten worse and worse.
Unpaid Forum-Ashigaru have tried to keep things together, but their efforts are in vain.

2 Likes

I read that translation and it didn’t strike me as anything other than typical corpo-speak. Any other CEO would have delivered the same lines in the exact same manner.

This interview wasn’t for us, I totally agree with you. It was for the shareholders.

4 Likes

This is the likely reality, because it’s how FS has always operated.

If you look back at Vermintide 2, players were clamoring from practically day one for a rework to the way deeds and mission mutators worked. They never fully addressed it. Instead they just added a new game mode (weaves), added weekly challenges (which added an entirely different set of mutators that had nothing to do with deeds), and eventually released Chaos Wastes, which was a THIRD totally different game mode.

Those additions were nice, don’t get me wrong, but all we ever wanted was for the core mission system to be improved with more fun mutators to mix it up. We wanted to roll all of those fun ideas into ONE mission system. Instead, we had three completely different modes of play, some locked behind DLC, that segmented the active player base. It was, and still is ridiculous and dumb.

Crafting in Vermintide 2 was the same way. People were screaming for a better crafting system. We finally got one with the weave forge crafting system. Except of course it only applies to playing in the weaves. And Chaos Wastes just invalidated the need to craft weapons at all. Like WTF!? So the core missions where all your weapon cosmetics are used and items are crafted with the properties and builds you want uses the same crappy crafting system after four years - with a promise still hanging out there to “rework” it. It was never reworked. It will never BE reworked. Sadly its still better than what we have in Darktide.

So the reality is that FS makes some terrible design decisions. They implement things in silos and don’t think about how gameplay loops fit together. They pile on new features and systems that don’t address the underlying problems and wonder why people are still frustrated. I don’t think they see why the community and player base values reworking things and improving systems.

All of this suggests the lack of a good design vision and leadership to coordinate all these things and how they interlock into a fun system. I also think their demonstrated unwillingness to revisit prior mechanics reeks of inflated egos from the design team. They think they always know better and that we’re all idiots.

3 Likes