Horrid server lag

This past week, maybe 2 weeks, the server lag has been insanely bad. I’ll start playing a game with about 40-50 ping, and then about halfway through the game everyone will just jump to 300+ ping for no reason, then it’ll go down a little but it will never recover for the rest of the game. Some might say “it’s just the host”, it happens to me even as the host and I know I don’t have a connection like that since this has only been recent and i’ve seen this phenomena happen to multiple different people on multiple different maps on many different occasions this past week. What’s going on with the servers? It kinda sucks starting off at 50 ping and then having to play the rest of the game at 300+ because then it becomes impossible to react to anything; if it were just a steady 50, or a steady 300 it wouldn’t matter you could compensate for the ping deficit, it’s the fact that’s it’s jumping all over the place, anywhere between 50-300 and constantly is changing with the pace of the level (more enemies = more ping issues). This kinda kills any sort of compensation the player can do because you have to guess whether or not the ping is gonna jump up or not. Is anyone else noticing this? Could this be because of Sienna’s new release? (if so this is a bad omen since she’s not even released yet and the connection is so unstable) Something with Steam’s new UI? Anyone’s thoughts?

The game only uses servers for matchmaking, while in game the connection is entirely peer to peer and the quality of the connection depends on the clients and the host, nothing else. It sounds like something’s wrong with your internet, could be the ISP, or your router or cable, or something of the sort.

A sudden spike into high ping that persists for the rest of the match is very strange, though.

it generally spikes with waves, the more enemies the more lag. Not FPS drop, Lag

ping doesn’t correlate with enemy density, that’s not a thing.
what you’re describing sounds like, something causes to throttle your connection.
i recommend to reproduce the state, and run a packet loss test, on a website.

if enemies run through walls or walking in the air, your or your host’s cpu is struggling.
monitor your CPU, a fan might broke down.

1 Like