I’d say he is the most difficult boss in the game currently, more difficult than the final boss in Skittergate.
There’s just not a reliable way to avoid his rapid fire aoe acid splashes while not getting killed by trash, and players often end up getting hit by both. Quite often the squishy players just die immediately on the encounter, and the tanks just try to survive until teammates respawn. I’ve even seen people die multiple times during the fight get a few hits in before getting splashed again.
The 3 splash frontal cone is better than it was, but still decent. The tornado aoe is fine. But the aoe acid splash he does is way too fast and feels unfair. It doesn’t just damage you, it slows you and dots you and messes up your screen graphics, so that beserker or chaos warrior is going to wreck you if the acid doesn’t kill you outright.
I don’t like that it is a valid tactic to just cheese Halescourge by exploiting infinite respawns. I’d rather there be no respawns but also have his attacks attacks be avoidable. The fly swarm freezing you just seems like, why does Halescourge have so many more things to wreck me with than the other bosses? The strongest attack in the game is getting disabled next to a beserker or chaos warrior, and Halescourge has several ways to do that while no other boss does.
Spinemanglr feels fair but challenging, Ribspreader too easy, Halescourge too hard, Skittergate Boss 1 way too easy so long as you have stuns, and Final Boss feels pretty good, mostly fair, pretty challenging, a little rng to it.
But after tons of Halescourge runs I’m not learning any tactics to help me improve and I’m not learning anything I’m doing wrong. It cheeses the players and the players can cheese to beat it.
I’d do the following to the Halescourge fight:
- Remove player respawns inside the boss room.
- No more specials spawn after boss is defeated (beating the boss then dying to 4 specials is still happening: e.g. IMMEDIATELY jumped by assassin after Halescourge dies, then hit with gas bombs from gas rat outside the boss room = keyboard smashed).
- Remove slow and dot from acid splash, just make it direct damage and knockback.
- Slow the speed of aoe acid splash/increase distance between splashes.
- Make Fly Swarm more visible or the audio cue more noticeable when cast
Then I think you’d have a pretty good boss fight.