Grail Knight by comparison is a weak hero

He plays differently though.

Again, I don’t see any problem with him. He’s good at what he does and acts as a support too with his quest buffs.

1 Like

Really wish not every Kruber had to be a support by default. Ironically, FK is the only one that can escape that role.

Edit: To be clear, I don’t have anything against Kruber being a support, I just think he deserves more flexibility with how his passives interact with his talents, instead of being forced into a support role (even Huntsmen).

1 Like

Yeah, Huntsman becomes weird because of the THP and Stagger Talent choices. They don’t really make sense for his role.

Do like me a bit of Spear + Repeater Handgun though.

1 Like

His passive is a game of roulette. If you are lucky you get something nice and useful, if you are not it bearly does anything. Thats just crapy design.

I really dont see how he is good at what he does. He is a burden in terms of special clearing and helping a caught teammates tends to turn into an epic adventure that is lost from the get go when the other one isnt wearing Barkskin.
His Elite clearing is okay at best. You always risk your life when you dive to deep into the wave with your Blessed Blade. It also loses damage after a certain amount of hit mobs, which severely hampers the ability to get Elites killed that come with waves. It really only shines when you deal with an SV patrol, but a sole patrol is hardly something that needs more than a bomb and some hits anyway, even on Cata.

Backup Plans are nowhere to be found. The best bet you have is shoving with Joust. Thats hardly something to rely on. Rattlings will still lock you in place and Warpfire AoEs on the ground still damage you when guarding with a shield. Each gas rat and every stormer turn into a small quest battle by themselves.

If you compare him to actual Elite murdering machines like WHC, Shade, or Slayer, GK looks meh at best. And then they also have range weapons ontop of more utility.

For a career that is only doing one thing, he is not doing that one thing good enough to outweigh his flaws. Changing Stoicism to something useful, giving him some DR to not just die to AoEs and tweaking the cleave values of his Career Skill would be nice. (I would not say no to Confidence just damaging elites and specials while staggering trash mobs so that thing actually does Elite killing and not fail its duty.)

3 Likes

I feel like there is just a difference in definitions. You balance as compared to the content and Revy is balancing as compared to other careers.

3 Likes

I don’t have a problem with that, if the playstyle of the Career and the Weapons they can use is taken into account.

Shade compared to GK is like comparing apples to oranges.

One is supposed to feel agile and have a lot of finesse, with high risk to reward payoff, and the other is supposed to be more durable and have high killing power in close proximity, lower risk and lower skill, higher payoff, with range being what you forfeit.

I think they’ve done that fine.

However, I think anyone who plays this game can recognise that Shade with Dual Wield and the headshot build can deal a ridiculous amount of damage, even when the playstyle etc is considered, and should probably be changed in some way. So comparing others to it isn’t really helpful.

They’re basically comparing GK to a Career that has huge issues of being OP in one sense and not having a lot of build choice in another, if you want to deal that OP damage. So comparing something that feels relatively balanced, in my eyes, to something that’s either brokenly good or brokenly bad/mediocre.

Also add in to that, that GK is also a support and not fully a DPS, like Shade/Slayer/Zealot.

If they brought her DW down and took her other builds up, I would agree with the comparison, but in the current state, I don’t.

The only real comparison that’s worth looking at (in terms of strategy), is who to have Concs on.

2 Likes

Sure he’s support, but he is also missing ranged wep. So if you want to be REALLY lenient to GK, you could say that balances out.

At this point, I’m really not sure what you’re arguing for or against. What melee class do you think GK is better than? Maybe handmaiden?? Maybe?

Edit: GK isn’t really more durable than shade either. Has 30 more effective hp at the cost of no escape ult and only a fraction of the mobility. Unless you’re running like 1H sword or mace. In which case, you’re dps is going to take a huge hit.

2 Likes

I think what the quests offer to all 4 of your team and his killing power with a 40 second CD Ult (reduced by hitting/quest/Trinker), which can kill 2-3 Elites at once more than balances out his lack of Ranged Weapon, yes.

I’m not arguing that he’s better or worse than anything, just that he works fine. I’m fighting the perception that he somehow needs to be ultra-Shade to somehow be worth playing.

I’ve said time and time again that I think he’s fine, and I haven’t seen a single point that makes him seem as bad as people are trying to imply. That has been my entire point. What’s yours?

People saying he’s just ok vs Elites, when he can kill 2-3 of them and maybe more Berserkers in a single one on a 40 second Cooldown is absurd.

He is though. He has a higher health pool, and doesn’t rely on active damage reduction to make use of it.

The reason she can stealth is that she’s not as durable. There’s a difference between durability and avoidance.

There’s also a difference between active durabilty and passive durability. E.g. claiming she’ll always have the 20% damage reduction up, and there’s no point in the game where it runs out or you won’t have it up. Or that somehow she’ll have the Barkskin DMGR up for every hit taken.

You can also take the THP back on taking damage Talent, which me and my friend use just fine, because the Stamina Regen Talent seems overkill.

But you’re assuming his killing power outperforms other career’s killing power. It doesn’t.

2 Likes

No, I’m not. I didn’t say that.

Ok so how does his killing power make up for not having a ranged weapon if his killing power isn’t higher than careers that also have a ranged weapon???

2 Likes

Because he’s capable of doing well without a Ranged Weapon?

1 Like

With all due respect, that doesn’t make any sense.

3 Likes

Why? Because you tried to put words into my mouth and it didn’t work?

1 Like

No, because I feel as if you’re not understanding the concept of pros and cons. Let me use an example.

Let’s say zealot has higher kill power in melee. Zealot also has a ranged weapon.
GK has less melee kill power and quest buffs.

This is what you said. So for your logic to work, his melee kill power needs to be better than zealots to label it as a pro for GK instead of a con. If zealots melee kill power is better then that is a pro for zealot and a con for GK in the comparison.

So the pros would be Zealot more melee kill power and a ranged weapon. GK pros would be quest buffs. So to say it’s balanced, you would have to show that his quest buffs compensate for the difference in melee kill power AND the lack of a ranged weapon.

Not at all. Just because he doesn’t have Ranged it doesn’t mean he has to be somehow the best Melee in the game, it just means that it has to even out with the rest of his kit, which it does.

He’s capable of doing a high amount of damage, if not topping damage, while not having a Ranged Weapon. He also benefits his team with 2-3 supportive buffs, which allows them to better do their jobs. He amplifies their roles.

Just because he doesn’t have Ranged doesn’t mean he needs to be the best Melee in the game. His survival, support and killing power all balance out very well.

I don’t neccesarily need to compare him to other Careers when I’ve got first hand experience of what he’s capable of. If you guys aren’t making use of him how I can, it’s not my fault, and I ask again to see some gameplay, so I can better understand why you think he’s weak.

2 Likes

There’s always the chance for improved health regen :^)

Is that bad?

Y’all making me explain jokes :sob:

2 Likes

Your outlook is so 1 dimensional , and you continue to single out shade, the most obvious example of power difference and have yet to address any of the other points made about careers like slayer, zealot, whc, ect.

relevant how?

How is shade high risk?

But for some reason has less durability, and killing power than other similar careers, as stated above.

So literally every other damage career?

Then they should make his support options outside of the str potion more consistent or viable.

Outside of CWs, who really cares? When was the last time elites posed any sort of significant threat, outside of mixed hordes, which opens up conversations about his vulnerability while using his active.

2 Likes