Grail Knight by comparison is a weak hero

Ok, I stand corrected on the data, but that’s still a good buff.

For ledging, that’s the only one I’m aware of. Shade puts out much, much higher burst than him.

All of them bar HP regen are quite meh, but damage resist and the cooldown regen are particularly mediocre. Power is just a bad choice in general because it’s always going to be either useless or by far the best choice, depending on breakpoints.

Those two in particular though I’ve never felt the impact of at all. You save like, a couple seconds off your ult, and that amount of damage resistance just works out to be a few health points on basically every attack. They might be better if you could build around them, but they’re nowhere near good enough to be as RNG dependent as they are.

Why? The cdr talent is just straight up better for what RV does.

I can claim 5% extra is a mediocre stat because it’s not reliable, and it’s weapon property tier. Merc gets double that, near 100% of the time, while also being able to give himself 15% more power and 25% damage reduction by adding a couple talents to that same passive.

A talent is not a useful measurement because foe feller and castigate are both talents. The old beta BW build that completely made every other class pointless was still only three talents, yet I doubt anyone is arguing that build is four times worse than GKs passive.

Yeah comparing ults to melee NOICE :slight_smile: and surely you can go as fronter with xbow easy pease ! He have way more reliable high elite damage than anything that you pointed out as fronter.

Takes one headshot without crit to kill with very easy to do breakpoint, no idea what are you doing but you are doing it bad.

You can even oneshoot hookrat without bigger problem.

He’s better for different reasons. Conc vs Patrol or Boss.

• He spam staggers the boss, where Shade stealths and someone else has to deal with the aggro
  • He can more safely land 2-3 Elite kills per Ult while spamming
  • The cooldown of his Ult + Conc or in general

Shade is busted, but the point is that in those situations his CC and Ult Cooldown are better for dealing with those situations. And as you mentioned, he can knock.

I disagree.

As I mentioned in my edit:

AS is never bad, unless you’re already too high AS and get RSI.

DMGR is never bad, and if you already have some it becomes even better.

CD regen is dependent on the Careers in your group, but is still good. E.g. CDR WHC becomes a god.

Because it offers sustained damage and safety. I don’t like relying on the Ult for that.

Yes, but so what? You then get other buffs from him too, which is better than nothing. AS is extremely useful, so I really don’t see a problem with getting an extra 5% or 7.5%.

I take my comparing to Talents example back actually, because Talents don’t give more than 1 effect.

I’ll also add that these buffs effect everyone in the group. That means 4 people get 5% AS or 10% Power, etc. This means more safety and killing power in general, and not as the result of one Ultimate.

1 Like

As much as i agree with the OP:s points i still don’t really see the need for any massive changes. As he is now he is pretty close to what you could consider balanced character. Problems really start arising when we compare him to mercenary which is just absolutely busted.

The only things i would personally change would be the talents that do absolutely nothing currently and maybe passive 10% damage reduction or something. Otherwise i think he is in really good spot.
Sure he will probably never be taken in the top level weaves as he is but those are an absolute abomination of difficulty already where only very few types of builds and strategies can work.

5 Likes

I think GK is a good concept, he is roughly in a good spot, but he is a tad bit too… gimmicky. It would really help if he could select his quests, simply for the fact that it would allow himself to build around it, a luxury basically any carreer has when it comes to conditional power+, and he does need something to balance out the lack of ranged a bit more other than running faster and blocking warpfire. I still stand behind my idea of giving him high passive AoE resistance (which you could sum up under “fearless”-demonicer, since that is, in the table-top, one of the GKs shticks: They are awesome at protecting flanks simply because they can reroll - iirc - their fear checks) and resistance against getting knocked back. Give GK the ability to simply walk through warpfire and rattling gunfire without being slowed down, or better yet: give him immunity to every kind of slowdown. He is fearless, he charges through resistance, he persists in the face of woe, he does not back down even when under attack.
Lower-ish crit-chance could be countered simply by giving him access to a quest that increased his crit chance. I know this would result in a hard meta in most cases, but that is still preferable to an ability that borders on being an RNG gimmick.

2 Likes

He gets pigeonholed into Exe sword or longsword so thats kind of moot, additionally, both of the anti boss shade weapons are generally considered some of the overall best options for shade (DD / SnD)

The str pot quest is very good and can remain consistent, however, his other duties are determined by RNG, which in and of itself is fairly problematic.

2 Likes

Slayer, Shade, Merc, Zealot, WHC

Slayer, Zealot, and Merc all have comparable power buffs to GK, but also have higher attack speed options, all three of them can outclass GK in elite killing and wave clear. Shade and WHC also have niche options that make them reliable melee elite killers depending on what set up they use. GK is simply outclassed in melee by other melee careers without gaining their added utility.

I agree that he feels well balanced as a stand alone, but he is comparatively lackluster.

P.S despite his faults by comparison, he is still one of the careers I enjoy playing the most (although the glow / shout from his active gets really old really fast)

4 Likes

He does? I’ve been using 1H Sword, 1H Mace, 2H Mace, Shield Weapons and the Dual Wield has become one of my favourites for him, because of the Push-Attack Crit build.

Exactly, so if you don’t run them, you’re not as good, which is my point. She has the problem that she’s overly good with DW Weapons while being actually mediocre with no short CD 2-3 Elite killing Ult without them.

His Ult makes all of his Weapons good.

I don’t see it as a problem as him or when playing with him. The 3 quest Talent reduces the RNG a bit, so I can run my build with 10% of the Power I usually do and pray to be OP, because it allows me to take other stats.

They’re just a bonus that don’t really have a huge impact on his playstyle.

Yep, GK needs some work / revamp

-Quest passive was a fun idea… at first then repetitive and RNG wears out, need a selective option, lady’s blessing (That is aura)Or new passive
-Ult is fun but singular needs a secondary function of attackspeed and/or movement.(also ult having variance based on weapon or weapon slot would be fun sweep/stab baseline)
-Bastion of Bretonnia letting all weapons block all range at cost to stam.
-some sort of damage reduction needed in talents or passive
-remove all melee weapon restrictions
-some talent rework

1 Like

So why would you not run them? You’re basically saying that if you actively try and be bad then GK can step up to the plate… well yeah, clearly.

I assume you are talking about the push attack kills with the 4x crit talent, why would you not just use OH Bretsword / Shield for the large push arc?

True but its pretty much his only added utility outside of raw output.

Additionally, some of the things I mention GK is lacking in my OP, I dont think he should explicitly have, damage reduction for example, I could care less about, but pointing out that other heavy hitting melee careers do, while maintaining comparable damage output.

2 Likes

Because you enjoy using the Weapons? Some of them can fill roles fine on her, it’s just that the DW is too strong.

Just because something is OP does’t mean it’s the only thing you should play, unless your fun is beating things because of being OP.

Why not use anything? It’s all good.

Because you’re deflecting.
Obviously GK would look better by comparison if you are intentionally playing sub optimally on other careers. That isn’t a critique of the class design itself, its determined by your choice of play-style.

So everything else in the game is power crept af except GK? I kinda agree with that.

2 Likes

Yeah kinda, Legend is babyland frolic now, and Cata can be easily made trivial by running certain builds. But realistically do you think its more likely for FS to nerf every career in the game or make GK more rewarding to play?

1 Like

I’m not deflecting anything. You’re saying things are bad which aren’t, and then only comparing them to the most strong thing possible.

I’ve had no problem doing his role with any of the other Weapons.

On his quests, I’ve explained why I think they’re good.

On his Weapons, I’ve explained that I use his other Weapons just fine.

Other than some pointless argument about Shade vs GK what are you trying to say?

1 Like

More rewarding to play? What does that even mean? And it’s funny that you say this:

So you say that he’s balanced as a standalone career, judging from how he plays without looking at other careers, then say yourself that he’s fun, he’s perfectly capable in higher tier difficulty, but you ask to buff him because other careers are way stronger than him? Why? So that GK can steamroll difficulties that he already performs just fine at?

3 Likes

Im saying things are bad by comparison, or at least worse by comparison to other things used optimally.

Also you keep saying “fine” yeah GK is fine, but like usual you are missing the point. Its not about GK being good or not, its about GK being compared to the other careers that exist in the game. His lack of range trade off is not significantly made up for by his other options, he doesn’t stand out as doing anything particularly well, aside from having reasonable wave clear /CC, and decent elite / boss handling ability, both of which are outshined by other similar career options.

Well, my point at least is that other careers should probably be brought down to GK levels, and not other way around. It’s more work, but I think it’s better for the game.

2 Likes

I mean, probably, I suppose I should of changed the title, since im not necessarily advocating for actual buffs, but with the amount of people saying he is OP, or too strong, I felt it was important to make a counter point and really highlight his drawbacks compared to other careers, which I feel are being somewhat ignored as people have their GK honeymoon period.

2 Likes