Give us real steel

im hyped for up-coming season. hell yeah.
well king slayer dont just let his blade be after the combat.
ive never seen such person who let their blades being dirty in games of thrones.
for magical wise, it might be impossible for our heroes to recreate or adding new material.
the filthiness from battle is mostly because of bloods, and with the powerful protection of arcane magic i think its safe to say theyll become bling once again after cleaned.

Well that’s kind of a big step from rare just rare Gromril to Ghal Maraz (and the likes).

1 Like

I’m not suggesting the weapons should have a mirror shine to them, but look at the sword Olysia has on her hip. It looks great!

The pictures @anon31175957 posted, I think the UB5 weapons don’t even look as good as each weapon on the right in each picture. There is a difference between functional and oiled(to remove from the scabbard) and thrown under your bed while you go and get drunk.

Historically, as England is constantly getting rained on, Medieval English Knights used to constantly oil their metal armour to prevent the onset of rust and form a barrier against water. Old documents mention boiled Linseed Oil as the main choice. Metals can absorb oil and so this built up quite a layer of oil on and within the metal.

To polish it they rubbed on salt, or put it in barrels of sand and rolled them around effectively sanding any rust spots off. Loads of fun being a squire.

Oil tends to make things a bit more shiny, although different Knights of Different orders sometimes shunned the shiny appearance and worn dun, matte armour ,especially if they were orders who had taken vows of poverty or similar.

There is still a difference between a well maintained, functional tool of war and something that looks like it was brought at a cosplay Expo from a bargain bin.

3 Likes

Oh dear, the blades they use are maintained and replaced on a regular base.

I just took a quick shot of my three sharp fencing blades. Sharp edged blades wear off way faster than blunt ones and way faster than you expect.

The first blade just had about 200 strikes in it’s lifetime. And it already looks like a sawblade.

The second was used for about 75-100 strikes (hard to count actual hits while fencing)

The last blade had just 25 strikes in it’s lifetime.

These are the parry marks on the blunt side of the third blade.

The blades are the ones used for fencing weapons like Saltzpyre’s Rapier so they have by far not that much force as Zweihander have.
Oh, btw. The blades are from 2010/11 thus made of high quality steel in a modern process.

3 Likes

you call this to well maintained?

i dont see any shine within. even a bit, edges must be shined.

1 Like

Elves do have their own special metal, Ithilmar. Given that it all comes from Vaul’s Anvil (in Ulthuan), though, the Asrai must not have much except heirlooms from before the War of the Beard.

This argument has come around a few times, and while I personally don’t mind the weapons being ugly - and while not realistic, this game is not realistic. At the same time I get why folks want their weapons to look better. I do hope we get some new skins OR they allow us to create some custom skin packs at some point on the official realm.

1 Like

i am all for visual improvements
as long as its purely visual and this doesnt lead to me sitting in the keep, and clicking a button cuz the devs gave me a polish my weapon before battleoption that lets me do more dmg

While I wouldn’t mind more bling, bringing “realism” into this whole affair is a VERY sketchy subject. If you want to go that route, you’d have to change how shields worked alot, how “blocking” worked and every block that uses the edge of the blade and not the flat. There’s also a difference between “sharp” and “battle sharp” (there’s a reason katanas are, contrary to all nerd fantasies, pretty bad weapons overall. They are incredibly sharp and cut unarmoured opponents like nothing else, but the blades are brittle, their shape is not very functional and pretty useless against any kind of hardened armour).

BUT I agree: Veteran weapons with magical runes and probably made from very high quality materials shouldn’t look AS battered as they do.

This is what I still use today. I also use it to harden wooden training equipment like rattan-sticks (just let it soak in over a couple days and then dry. The linsed oild crystalizes inside the wood’s texture, giving it alot more durability).

1 Like

let me fix your words, not only katanas are bad againt armour but every blades - even the finest we could made right now - is no match for the full plate armour.
knights: defense >> ofense
samurai: offense >> defense
but overall as nodachi cant shreding through plates, will stand no chance againt knights.

I can do that myself if I deem it appropriate, I neither need nor want your solicitation.

Almost no weapon was capable of causing serious harm to plate armour, blade or not, at least not by brute force, and plate armour made you virtually impervious to arrows (the theory that bodkins were utilized as some kind of armour piercing shot has already been debunked. Before the advent of black poweder weapons, there simply were not materials or techniques known to harden arrowheads in a way that could make them pierce plate mail in a reliable fashion). There are, however, very well documented techniques how to properly use swords against plate armour.

First of all, this game is by no means realistic. Both our heroes and enemies are way tougher than realistic, sans slaverats.
Our heroes are also facing at least 8 times the amount of enemies they should be able to kill, and this happens pretty much every round.
The 2nd thing - you are showing fencing weapons, that are not really made for combat.
3rd thing - our heroes go to battle with pretty much broken weapons, clearly trash level.
I’m quite sure you would do your best to properly sharpen and maintain your blade, if your life actually depended on it.
Our heroe, on the other hand, take weapons with visible and obvious cracks (cracks in steel are a HUGE no-go), chips, nicks and whatever, all clearly indicating, that the weapon is soo to break, and they go on an extremely dangerous mission. That’s not just stupid, that’s suicidial.

Oh and even if some weapons are not really damaged (some elf weapons, Saltz’s rapiers, bows), they are not just poorly maintained, they are clearly not maintained at all. Bows and gun stocks made of dry, untreated wood, sure to crack when under stress, dirty, unoiled and clearly unsharpened blades.
This is just ridiculous and takes away from immersion - Saltz is a professional, and no true professional would go to battle with weapons that are in bad condition because of his own negligence.

@LuiKangBakingAPie The English Longbow was considered capable of piercing plate armour - within the considered kill zone of… 15 - 20 meters.

The damage wrought at battles such as Crecy and Agincourt is solely due to the sheer number of arrows and accuracy of the longbowmen. There are many accounts of longbowmen being able to put an arrow through a bangle at 200-300 yards, and it is estimated that in the opening moments of Agincourt in 1415 approximately 1000 arrows were fired every second. Any footknight fighting with his visor up for visibility could expect at least two arrows through the visor slit.

Most of the knights were killed by the “true killer”… a knife roughly the length of your kitchen knife that was plunged through the eye of a downed knight by the archers. Once you’re on your back in the mud in full plate armour it’s game over really.

Back to the game. I don’t want glowsticks of doom with magical runes and mirror-flash swords, just make it look like the people who rely on these weapons for their own safety and survival actually maintain them , even if it’s just something to do when they’re bored.

3 Likes

1000 arrows a second? Blimey, that’s a lot of pointy-bits flying at you.

I think I have to agree with @Yzneftamz in both accounts. I think all of the gear they wield looks awesome and certainly fits the theme of the game (gritty, dark, not-pretty); I also wouldn’t mind some pretty illusions so that the people who want them can have them! :smiley:

However, let’s try not to allow ourselves to fall into the ‘realistic maintenance’ fallacy. If any weapon wielded wasn’t magical (let’s reference @Ricordis and his picture of blades), it’d be a useless, twisted pile of metal by the end of a level. 100s of bad-guys die per level, 100 of which are in plate. Maintenance doesn’t occur; the weapon would be worth nothing after an encounter with a Chaos Warrior (again, assuming realism). After spending 20 hours toiling over fixing your damaged sword, you would go out and… wreck the thing in 20 minutes because you have the stamina of a demi-god and never stop fighting.

20 hours later and… oh, hey there, 20 minutes and it’s a noodle again. After the 10th full repair, I’d be done. If I were Markus, I’d grab the nearest sorta-sharp sword, do 20 minutes of work on it, then toss it into a scabbard and take a load off… because I just single-handedly wiped out a small army and I’m sorta tired.

If anything wielded by them is magical, it’s as ancient as time itself and has likely been beat up. If we have magical weapons, no one in the party can actually maintain them. Hence, it still wouldn’t be shiny. At least, that’s how I see things. Everyone is certainly welcome to believe otherwise :smiley:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.