Future of Loot Rats and Lohnar's Emporium

I think a very good change you can make for season 2 is adding what ever the currency for the Emporium to the Loot rat’s drop table. Right now chasing a loot rat is not even worth it 9 times out of 10 but this could add back that excitement and risk/reward of making a death run for one.

17 Likes

That’s actually a pretty good suggestion. It is a loot rat after all, so it would only make sense that he snagged up a few Shillings during his plundering, and adding incentive to chase it in return for being able to cash them in for cosmetics make them far more worthwhile than they currently are.

Adding to this, maybe have Tomes and Grimoires award a small amount of Shillings for each one you managed to carry through to the end? It doesn’t have to be a lot, but just something to make up for doing full book runs once you already have the best gear.

It would also add a reliable way to grind Shillings beyond having to wait for the daily quests to reset or waiting for a loot rat to spawn on the map.

7 Likes

Twitch integration monkaHmm

8 Likes

Well they could just have Sack Rats spawned by Twitch have a different drop table without the Shillings.

They could also keep it in as a reward due to the added challenge of Twitch mode as a whole.

6 Likes

No it goes in contradiction to their time grind mentality. Must create false scarcity in order to have player retention… apparently

2 Likes

Past failures aside, going forward, this is exactly what we should be working against, not towards.

Me personally, I’d rather have the items in Lohner’s Emporium cost several thousands of Shillings, but have them drop regularly (and most importantly reliably), rather than have the items cost just a few Shillings but have them drop infrequently and unreliably.

6 Likes

It’s the same difference. 6 and half a dozen. Only your choice to perceive it differently.

My fear and prediction is it will be another minimum viable product. They will not increase the dailies or flesh out the placeholder daily and weekly system. 1 box per day will still be the max plus 1 weekly giving 8 shillings a week. Cosmetics will probably be 5 shillings each or more to put them in the same kind of “time grind” as bogenhafen.

I despise mobile game mentality poisoning pc games. It’s basically saying, “you’ve earned your one shilling, stop playing and come back tomorrow” the only difference is mobile games let you pay real money to earn that next shilling when you want.

I would really like to be proven wrong but their record says I won’t.

6 Likes

Which is exactly why I propose having multiple sources of Shilling income (daily quests, weekly quests, loot rats, books, loot dice, etc. etc.) so that it doesn’t just end up being the “mobile game curse” where it’s the game that decides when you stop playing, rather than the player.

However, in order to support multiple sources of Shilling obtainment, the cosmetics themselves also have to cost more than a few so that people won’t just be able to buy out the entire Emporium in a couple of grind-fueled days.

Therefore, I don’t think it’s the same difference. One is restrictive (having to rely on timed daily quests as the only source of Shilling income) and the other is a grind (having multiple sources of Shillings that can be completed in the players’ own time and comfort, but having the cosmetics cost marginally more by comparison).

6 Likes

In the end though the rate of buying cosmetics would be the same. I agree that more options to get them feels better to the player though.

1 Like

I’m guessing cosmetics are going to cost a lot of shillings. I mean, they did say that people who have the DLC’S and have done the weekly/dailies will be rewarded for what they have already done. That’s 50 something shillings right there for the weekly quests. God knows how many dailies I’ve done. But I don’t recall the last time I logged in and had stacked up my dailies to the point of being maxed at 3. So yea, 7 shillings per week over 1 and half years since the quest system was introduced.

I mean, long time players will probably be sitting on 400+ shillings when it goes live. At least if I understand correctly the system they are putting in place.

I support this suggestion =3

2 Likes

To be honest. I think frankly the biggest change that needs to happen is fixing it’s AI. The stupid thing spooks way too easily and more likely than nots runs directly at you, willfully leaping into the cold arms of death.

If loot rats were significantly harder to get I’d be all down for them to throw in rare chances of cosmetic loot. But as they are right now? Probably not.

1 Like

Hey can you show me where they said that?

If you are referring to this i think it only means the ownership of DLC’s will grant you shillings retroactively. The inclusion of that sentence was maybe to prevent questions about already owning a DLC, although the previous sentence was pretty unequivocal.

3 Likes

Fatshark have never retroactively awarded players before, why would they make an exception here. In fact they have always done the exact opposite, penalise long standing players and make them start from zero.

1 Like

They gave people retroactive clears when Cataclysm was not counting towards the 100 clears helmets for people.

1 Like

Didn’t know that. However let’s look at a few others:

No challenges unlocked when Okri’s book first came out based on things players had already done 100s of times
No awarding of hats or reds when they increased drop chances
No auto unlocking of characters to level 35 when players are already at +100s of levels
No auto unlocking of cataclysm when players had already killed lords 100s of times

That’s hardly exhaustive and just off the top of my head.

What, you don’t like playing +600 hours to get a single cosmetic - or wasting hours rerolling one or two items, including dumping hundreds of dusts?

If Vermintide does anything as well as it does core combat alone, its wasting players time with insulting timegating in crafting worse than f2p games.

The Okri’s challenges one was because the stats needed weren’t tracked beforehand, and thus couldn’t be awarded retroactively. Some of them were tracked, and those got activated immediately. I’ve no idea how awarding rare items could’ve been done fairly with the drop rate changes. The five-level extra grind was so that people would be on equal standing. Opening cataclysm was, to the best of my knowledge, so that returning players would get at least some experience in the new mechanics (and Beastmen, probably) before getting their butts kicked in Cata (and getting extra frustrated).

All of these have reasons, some worse and some better. In the Emporium’s case, it was stated in Friday’s stream: the limits on earning Shillings are so that the casual ones who play a couple of hours every weekend and the overly enthusiastic players who do full working days playing the game have closer to equal chances of getting the cosmetics. If Shillings were unlimited, but the prices were high, the cosmetics would be unreachable for the casuals. If everything was retroactively rewarded, the experienced players could buy out the store immediately. It’s a balancing act.

And on the original topic: It could be interesting (and fair in normal play), but as @mr_sp1ce pointed out, Twitch mode needs to be taken into account. It’s one thing to generate a dozen dice on a run so that you only need one Tome to fill out the loot bar; it’s another to bypass overall limitations just because you play with a certain modifier. I guess a different loot table could be a solution (like @LordRhinark said), but I don’t know how practical it is. It also depends on the actual value of Shillings; if the cheapest cosmetics are available on one Shilling, getting them from Loot Rats is probably a bit much; if the cheapest are five or ten, then an occasional “free” one probably doesn’t hurt.

3 Likes

I could of sworn it was stated somewhere that we would be rewarded retroactively for what we’ve already done. Perhaps it was in the AMA, I could very well be mistaken.

I don’t think there was anything in the AMA about that, but you may want to rewatch Friday’s stream for that. It was talked about, and I think there was some talk about retroactive rewards, but I don’t remember what it was exactly.

Personally, I think it’s highly unlikely that we’d get all our dailies retroactively rewarded as that’d be a ton of Shillings for anyone who’s been active since Okri’s was put out. Weeklies are a different matter; they’re limited anyway.

2 Likes