Are shillings(and therefore Dailies and Weeklies) a complete waste of time?

I cannot tell you how hyped I was about Lohners Emporium. I thought we’d get all of the skins as something to work towards (including all reds) I might not have, and was thinking maybe there might be potential for some unique weapon skins to be added, not necessarily shinies but things like the Dawnstar Sword, Chillrend, Blade of Sea Gold, and so on. GW IP protection not withstanding…

I was never someone really bothered by full armour skins although they might be nice to have, as I don’t particularly look at the 3rd person very much, but I do look at weapons a lot. But for those who are bothered by armour skins have a look at The great Bogenhafen Backlash of '18™ for how people feel about full armour skins.

Lohner’s Launched. Gutted. I haven’t been this gutted since a girl called Debbie Randall refused to give me a snog at a school disco 35 years ago. I’m still not over it if anyone cares. I still see her working on the cold meat counter at Tesco which don’t help.

Enough of that.

I already had all the weapon skins except a Red Greatsword I badly wanted for Kruber. Had enough Shillings from the Beta to buy all armour skins for FK. Got 4k shillings now. I won a paid-DLC hat from the LoreCrafting Reddit contest which was really cool so I have that too.

So, I almost can’t even be bothered to claim any weeklies or Dailies I complete because I’ll be able to buy everything Lohner has and basically have Shares in his Shop and mount some kind of Hostile Takeover of the Emporium.

Almost Immediately I’d make sure it sold booze so we could all get drunk and trigger the drunk voice lines in the keep.

I’m utterly puzzled as to why it hasn’t even got what’s already in the game for sale - all those hidden hats, all those red skins… NOPE.

To give you a clue as to how poor the offering is, people are asking for the RNG Chests that have been slated since day 1 to be given back instead of 5 shillings. I mean really - “Give me back the chests everyone moans bitterly about the drop rate.” - IF this doesn’t tell you all you need to know I don’t know what will.

Almost even more baffling is that if this is the secondary income stream for future DLC, how the AF are there not new hats all the time to entice people to splurge some cash? Most hats are less than the cost of a pint so if it was me I’d get just one fella to make hats full time. That’s all you do pal, make hats. Crack on.

Will someone,anyone, please tell me there is some point to having shillings? without mentioning “You can have some cake tomorrow.”

15 Likes

I don’t have any shilling sitting in my account, and have still stuff to buy (hats and skins) for weeks but only because i was very unlucky with hat droprates beforehand. I can understand you though, some of my investment for V2 would be gone if i wouldn’t have anything to buy but waiting for the next content drop.

1 Like

I hope there are still enough players to care by the time they finally drop these cosmetics they’ve been sitting on since launch. Seems like the perfect filler to throw out in quiet periods between content releases (eg right now), but I guess they have grander plans for them?

I’m pretty much with you there. I’m very suprised about how FS seems to be neglecting LE. It feels like wasted potential. I’m not a programmer so I have no clue if there’s maybe technical limitations I don’t know about, but it seems like it would be relatively easy to keep expanding the LE inventory, which would deal with a lot of problems in one fell swoop. By adding all red illusions, they’d end te ever-repeating “red droprate” complaints. By just releasing all those datamined-but-never-officially-released hats, they’d end that complaint once and for all. They’d end the circular debates about Shillings and the rewards of daily quests. They’d silence the calls for new content for a while. All without very much (apperant) difficulty, and all without creating even a single new asset. And with just a few new assets as well, they’d be praised even more and end even more complaints.

It seems so obvious that I suspect there’s something we don’t know here since they haven’t done it yet. Remember when in the beginning there was some talk about cycling items in availability through the store? That never happened, maybe because there was a lot of backslash about the very rumor of it. But maybe FS had that planned that because of technical limitations with the amount of items available in the store at the same time or something? I suspect it’s something like that.

But on the other hand, sometimes FS does seem have a little difficulty focussing and improving on one thing, while churning out the next thing, which then also promptly gets neglected instead of tuned before they move on to yet another new thing… So maybe it’s just something like that…

9 Likes

Buying booze at the shop is actually an excellent idea!

I don’t care about dailies. But it’s just because I already bought all models I was interested in. It’s for players with less hours in the game, so no problem. But I pay attention and collect almost all the weeklies in the hope they will release something I can buy later. Hope dies last.

3 Likes

I still miss those emp chests for the rewards anyway. Maybe it could be give a both shillings and a chests.

2 Likes

I hadn’t considered a stock-limit restricting the offer. Possibly rebuilding the entire store behind the scenes could take time.

With no weekly dev post appearing for 2 weeks I suspect we’ve gone back to the good old FS leaving us with our tallywhacker swinging in the breeze. I suppose I could put the shillings next to my 6k piles of each dust (barring Red) in a trophy room like a dragon horde. No purpose other than being shiny.

3 Likes

I refuse to believe Fat Shark has abandoned the dev diaries already, they had them going for a little over two months I think. That would just be too ridiculous, right? I choose to believe that the development has sort of stagnated as a result of the virus.

Anyway I’m glad to see a thread about this topic because I was hyped for the Emporium. I keep talking about it, but cosmetics is one thing I wanted more options for but there’s just frustration and hinderance with every turn. It’s really bizarre.

2 Likes

Remember when they updated LE with a handful of hats all priced at 2.5k+ shillings and the only one of those people would have even considered grinding that much for was that godlike pyro hat?

And then they all got removed instead of just having their price fairly adjusted.

I remember :sob:

6 Likes

Lol exactly, i don’t understand why they would have to remove them and think about a new price for a couple months, they could of just keep them in, adjust prices, and refund shillings to players that already bought them.

I am not a dev so i don’t know how hard certain things are, but surely adding a cosmetic or thinking about a cosmetic’s price doesn’t take THIS long. I know with lockdown going on around the world it takes longer to release things, and everyone has to adjust, but this was going on well before covid so i don’t see this as an excuse tbh.

I do understand alot of little things do take quite alot of time, but i’d rather they shift from their update idea, which they said they wanted to focus on more ‘game health and bigger but lesser updates’ and i just don’t agree with that (this doesn’t mean they should rush content or reworks). I think Qol and bug fixes should be prioritized and worked on and released when ready, while having a group of people work on content updates, balance comes third unless something is really broken.

And adding cosmetics, which already exists + making a couple new ones, adding red illusions etc. is literally the easiest content you could add. Because now everyone is bored and is focussing on how long a new season takes or how long a new map takes to make.

Edit: not all in a response to your comment @dannylew8299. Mostly generally, i ranted

1 Like

The season things still irks me. I get the feeling WoM/Weaves is still the priority and everything is revolving around keeping those going which is causing the adventure maps and LE to grind to a halt.

Console release of Drakenfels has been priority and has been launched during the COVID, so it is possible to do extensive and large updates in the current working environment. Including a big hotfix patch to fix crashes. No content/patches/frames due to “pandemic” has been proven a lie by the console launch. Can we have the Shallya Frame from the community event?

I remember a statement back when Versus was a thing (remember that? Teaser trailer and everything) that there were seperate teams working on Consoles and PC so one wouldn’t hinder the other. Laugh? So funny I almost brought a round.

All evidence suggests the exact opposite. PC get a launch of something and console get nothing, then console get a launch and PC get nothing. It feels like then entire team work on one or the other and having parity across platforms is battering the Dev process and release speed of anything for everyone, as either Console or PC players are entirely neglected while development is directed to one or the other platform.

Additionally delaying releases of stuff to align with the seasons is hurting the game now I think.

There is absolutely no excuse for the failed DevLog post, even if it’s to say “We’re wading through honey trying to get things done but it’s a lot of effort for not much to show.” (which is tripe because of the console launch of Drakenfels proves huge changes can be done) but anything to say… something would be nice, and it is the work of a single person for half an hour to put out a little post.

I have a very horrid feeling that, as usual, some new thing* will come over the horizon, and will hamstring any further work on LE, or Deeds, or crafting, or everything.

I suppose I should be happy that it’s the PC players turn to get some love now, and it’ll be the Console people out in the cold.

Just in case it’s not entirely clear - GIVE US THE HATS HIDDEN IN THE GAME AND MAKE LOTS OF COOL HATS FOR THE FUTURE FFS.

Putting drink in the shop would be something, at least the Character and the Player might drown their sorrows together.

*Versus I’m looking at you. A 3rd quarter launch of VS with no improvements to LE, or Deeds would spectacularly pi$$ me off

6 Likes

The idea was that Versus wouldn’t slow down development of the main mode but I’m honestly wondering if we’d even notice that in the first place, considering it’s too slow as is. I wish Fat Shark would realize I want to throw my money at cool new things, but Winds of Magic doesn’t apply lol :^)

Now, I don’t want to be too rude: I’m sure Fatshark is pretty busy and this period hasn’t helped… but simply I can’t understand.

They released some hats that were very cool and unique. They did a mistake about the price… they could just remove them, fix the price and release them once again. But NOPE… those hats have just disappeared. Hedge said they will be avaible in season3… ok, but why? We are talking about months.

Paid cosmetics can GREATLY help your game. See these free battle royale games how many money earn thanks these things. But, once again, NOPE. The emporium seems just abandoned.

Oh! That’s pretty cool!

I would like fix/repair the Keep too.

Wait, we’re not going to see hats rotate on a season-by-season basis, are we? Because one season is like six months.

Shoutout to those five or six people who care about seasons at all.

Plenty care about seasons. Seasons aren’t a bad thing anyway, it’s just the fact that fatshark doesn’t use them properly that is annoying and makes players hate it.

1 Like

Big console update was released, which, especially with the logistical difficulties caused by the pandemic, took a lot of effort, so it would be more difficult to do other stuff as well. So no PC updates and such. Those things happening are actually not as mutually exclusive as you make them out to be. It’s quite logical, though. But the absense of community updates sgouldn’t be justified for that, really. Maybe @Fatshark_Hedge just has some time off, or something?

This is sort of my fear as well. I don’t think a big new thing is what this game needs, but rather optimisation of all the cool stuff that’s already there but just not quite where it should be. From FS perspective, however, I understand a big new thing like Versus mode would cause more sales, however, and I can’t blame them for that, really.

2 Likes

The last couple of weeks have been shorter due to public holidays. Sometimes I can’t just write updates alone and need some input from others so I’d rather not put an update out than put out a nothingburger update.

8 Likes

Ah, I see. Understandable. But I guess you shouldn’t underestimate the value of a nothingburger update either. Right now you already have people speculating about FS ditching the updates altogether and whatnot. Even a short bit of umgak would have probably prevented such things easily.

8 Likes

So everyone’s phone broke?

I’d appreciate any kind of post saying exactly like the kind of thing you wrote here Hedge.

“We’re all scattered, we’re working like maniacs trying to get the console releases as good as we can, we haven’t forgot about the Frame or the event. Hang in there! Nothing else to report really.”

That’d be enough, and would stop the wild speculation.

6 Likes

I feel you man. I wrote the same thing on reddit the other day when the Drachenfels maps were finally released to consoles and was downvoted into oblivion, lol. It has to be a managment issue within Fatshark, they’re not capable of handling two (or more) projects at once. Everyone who has been around Vermintide long enough should be well aware of those repeating patterns of alternating patch droughts between platforms.

Thankfully, we have a strict 4 months a season schedule… oh wait.

Man, sometimes I just want to scream at all this clumsiness. It’s actually really hard to love this game (which I do nonetheless).

1 Like