FS Doesn't Like Fun Builds [Rant]

I just read that that FS ruined the Battle Wizard by moving Famished flames to the same talent row as Lingering Flames, the problem is that Famished Flames is absolutely useless trash by itself when not combined with Lingering Flames. This is a clear indication that FS has no idea how to balance things. If FS devs were smart they’d simply tone down Famished flames a bit, say 100% more DoT and 20% less non-DoT damage, but nope FS thought “HMMM lets move this Famished Flames talent so that it no longer has any synergy and is generally another trash tier talent, since we don’t have enough of those in the game already”.

It’s bloody disgraceful that these devs are this bad at performing such a simple balance tweak. I guess that only makes sense though, since 2.0 in general is a dumpster fire compared to 1.6. I’m not even a sienna main either, so don’t say “Uh you’re only saying that because you want overpowered stuff in the game” It wasn’t even because it was a strong combo, it was because the elitist nob-jockeys bitched about it being relied to much on in weaves, who cares if it was used alot in weaves, weave players are in the minority, i bet less then 10% of the community even plays weaves, even less play high level weaves.

Lastly FS literally lied once again after they said the game wouldn’t be balanced around weaves, but this change was made because of weaves, so that means FS lied once again, great another dev team that tells its own community one thing and does a 180 to do the opposite.

I bet the FS suck-ups will be in here defending this kind of behavior (the lying, not so much the horrible balancing). I’m very sick of seeing this BS from dev teams and not just FS, but the games industry as a whole.

Anyway rant over, i hope FS reads this and realizes their mistakes.

8 Likes

I actually completely agree with your idea regarding just adjusting the numbers on Famished Flames. There are a few things in this post that don’t correlate with my experience I’d like to comment on though.

Firstly you’ve got it backwards, it’s lingering flames that’s nearly useless without Famished. Famished on its own has strong synergy with beam staff, flame sword, and I think conflag and flamethrower staff to an extent, as well as obviously strong synergy with kaboom. I’m sure we’ll still see plenty of famished builds, but lingering flames will likely be abandoned since on its own it’s basically just a DPS reduction for any build that stacks burn dots (i.e. a lot of them).

Secondly I think the change was at least as much to do with Cata as it was about weaves. I’ve seen plenty of people on these forums complaining about BWs ruining their Cata games. This complaint seems to be based around BWs basically killing everything too easily thus in a way taking gameplay from the rest of the team as they’re left with little to do. As a normal Legend player where there isn’t enough enemy density for BW to be as OP, I don’t share this grievance, but I certainly can understand where these people are coming from.

It is a shame they went kinda drastic with the changes but BW still has heaps of fun, viable builds (more than most classes) so I can’t say I’m too cut up personally.

8 Likes

I used Lingering Flames in 1.6 and it seemed fine with the beam staff + flamesword or crowbill combo. The reason i think famished by itself is garbage is because it reduces your immediate impact damage alot, it seems better to hit hard with impact damage over DoT (unless you have unlimited Dot with Lingering Flames), but i guess i could give famished another go, but i still think FS went about balancing famished the wrong way.

I don’t think balancing the game around DLC exclusive modes is good either.

2 Likes

I’ll agree that’s it’s a bit ham-fisted and doesn’t do the BW tree as a whole any favors. However, it was well and truly out of line and did deserve the nerf.

Fmaished Flames is very strong still, it single handedly turns Flame Sword into a monster. It also breaks even on Fireball staff, and has possible synergies (I havn’t checked numbers to see if it breaks even or what) with Conflag, Beam, and Flamewave.

Volcanic Force is a very powerful alternative as well, take a look at it before you complain too much.

While I’d like to see all the talent trees including BW be more “tidy” (make sense, have synergy, multiple viable builds, etc) I’m happy with this change because it makes other builds reasonable choices again.

1 Like

I agree Famished Flames needed a nerf, i just hate how FS went about the nerf. Simply tweaking Famished Flames numbers down would of been better, because then people could still use it in synergy with Lingering Flames, which imo was one of the most interesting and fun combos in the entire game.

Volcanic force is very good in a conflagration or flamethrower staff build.

2 Likes

I agree. Moreover now weaves are much much much harder than before. Totally unfair toward those players who must still complete them.

2 Likes

Agreed that sometimes the characters tweaks are too radicals same for thp in the past

1 Like

Not for season 2 weaves at least, since everyone starts with the new balance there.
Just assume that most people who have FoW Cata or season 1 weaves 100+ were using Battle Wizard as a crutch.

This has been discussed to death in the Beta Forum. And the consens was that the old BW was no fun for a large part of the players. It did have a negative impact on the gaming experience for teammates and it was absolutely boring to play itself. Also BW being statistically overused showed a clear sign that she is out of whack. There was the chance to test this in the beta and give your opinion.

Balancing is not done around the Weaves, never had, never will. I know people love that argument but it isn’t true. The balancing for BW was a result of her overperformance in FoW, Cataclysm and partially Legend difficulty. Weaves could be and still can be completed without BW.

Majority (look Steam Reviews) has come to the understanding that 2.0 is an improvement over 1.6 on nearly all fronts, especially weapon and talent balancing.

1 Like

Those pair of talents were absolute and broken. If you feel it unfun play lower difficulty to kill everything in touch, if you find it fun, cause that what bw was, apply dot -> block -> wait

Most unskillfull facerolling canсerbuild is gone and im happy about it

4 Likes

It was also unfun to play with. Spinning around and seeing BW afk with block up, but still tops damage and kills. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I honestly don’t get how this is an opinion that anyone in the world holds. No, BW was overpowered, period. It wasn’t just in weaves, it was everywhere that was hard, like Cataclysm, FoW, C3O and so on. Famished FFA Kaboom was even worse in lower difficulties. Famished Kaboom was OBJECTIVELY broken, it was overpowered and fundamentally terrible game design because it encouraged an extremely passive playstyle where you simply hold block, dodge and press F every once and a while to disintegrate everything around you. Every other career in the game has to engage in melee, let down their guard, expend ammunition and actually put themselves in danger.
Not only that, but it was NOT fun to have a BW in your team. The goal of the game is to have fun, not to win. I know that when I had BW’s in my team, I felt really bored and annoyed at how everything died and how little action I would get. I didn’t have fun and it would devalue any win I got since it was with a broken career. It got so bad that I would sometimes even consider kicking people simply because they were using BW. I don’t want to have someone on my team that disintegrates everything it touches. This had NOTHING to do with weaves, it fundamentally threatened the very fabric of this game.
What a terrible opinion.

3 Likes

Who. Cares. About. WEAVES? Why do we need to have overpowered careers that break the game in normal difficulties JUST so that weaves are ‘completeable’. Surely that just shows how terrible weaves are and that they need BALANCING?

1 Like

The talent move was a mistake. Famished really does need to be put back where it belongs and reworked since FFA (and Kaboom) sent it from questionably strong to the fiery wrath of Aqshy.

But, I actually haven’t had a chance to try new BW yet. The only Sienna I saw in Cata last night was a Bolt user and she was great.

1 Like

What, so you can have Lingering Famished again? No! Horrible, terrible idea. Why do people want these blatantly overpowered and fundamentally bad talent combos where you don’t even have to try?

1 Like

Lingering + Famished and Kaboom were bad, but nowhere near the same realm of nightmarish that was Famished + FFA.

They could have just played with Famished and Kaboom and left FFA alone, imo

1 Like

No, I don’t agree, cause FFA would let you spam your ability like crazy, and even if it wouldn’t disintegrate everything around you, you’d still be doing tons of damage, crowd control everything around you (which strangely seems to never get mentioned, since Firewalk was really good crowd control), and huge mobility while still being nearly completely safe and not have to break block or dodge. It’s fundamentally bad game design.

1 Like

I disagree :man_shrugging:

ok. good talk

2 Likes

I already can correct you, that you have no idea about balancing if you spout such nonsense

1 Like