Fatshark Robin answering general questions

It’s true, in an ideal world we’d love to be able to keep our focus on one channel (we actually had closed our official forums mid-way throgh the V1 lifecycle so we could focus on existing channels such as reddit and Steam, but we needed to bring them back for the V2 betas and I kind of fell in love with them all over again).

In an ideal world, I would spend my time here and on the major social media channels, like Twitter and FB, but really, players will go where they feel most comfortable or have the tools they like to discuss with.

Reddit has updoots and downdoots which is a good way to get a loose idea over general sentiment. It also keeps fresh content nearer the top with a natural decay over time and bumping/necro goes unnoticeid (which is nice).

Steam has no barrier to entry as you have to have an account to even play the game (and has no tools to cull the trolls, it’s open season and some people get kicks out of that).

Some people prefer an official forum as it has some cool features such as liking posts, reporting and feels a lot like a traditional gaming forum which old timers, like me, are more comfortable with. But trying to steer people to one place is a bit like herding cats. So we have to spread ourselves thin and do what we can to avoid situations where people feel unheard.

Some studios have notices on their Steam forums that they will not engage in the Steam forums and direct all players to their official boards. I thought about that for a while, but you cannot have a game on steam without one accessible forum available on it for your game. And what you want to avoid is having that one forum entirely un-worked. So you have to work it.

And it’s great for the redditers to have some engagement as it’s very google friendly and some people (myself included) love the reddit format.

And removing official forums is not on the cards unless something shifts, so here we are.

We have to be present on Twitter and Facebook because it’s 2018 and that’s, I hear, where all the cool kids go :slight_smile: It does spread us thin, and it’s desperarely difficult to keep up with everything and as I’ve said before, I wouldn’t change it for the world. It’s a great problem to face and a new challenge every day.

8 Likes