Fatshark engagement with the community is a joke

There’s being unable to totally control the narrative, and then there’s abandoning it. Fatshark has abandoned it with Darktide. They’re not saying anything. No company avoids all flak or muffles all criticism, but simply doing nothing doesn’t help or mitigate that. Most players aren’t into or even aware of such drama, but are absolutely going to stop playing/buying when nothing is happening, and the numbers prove that Darktide has a dire retention problem.

As has been pointed out several times before, Fatshark can absolutely make a post about feedback and future plans without getting swamped in frothy edgelords.

I’ve posted this before and I’ll post it again here, the VT2 Versus Alpha test thread got nothing but positive and calm responses. Your assertion that anything they do will only be taken in bad faith and dragged into irrational fights is simply nonsense.

Notice there’s aren’t hundreds of angry replies?

Yes the title was hyperbolic, absolutely. It’s hardly the end of the world, and by videogame industry standards is about as tame as they come, and the tone is still far below what you’ll find in many other games. If Fatshark can’t deal with that level of minor nerd-rage on a forum, then I’m not sure what to say.

When your CM comes out and tells “we don’t have anything to say” but that they’ll try to get a Dev manger to do their job and tell customers anything about what to expect out of your product for the year, and then dumps a patch a week later without notice, and weeks later still can’t get a Dev manager to say squat, you’re not just failing to control the narrative, you’re abandoning it. Simple as.

Ultimately, the community being a literal sh|t-show is Fatshark’s problem however you slice it, they’re the one Fatshark is looking to get money from. Other companies and products demonstrably manage this better, Fatshark has a real fundamental problem here. This community is incredibly tame next to stuff like CS/CoD/WoW/LoL/WoT/WT communities. It’s in the state it is because there are longstanding issues that FS refuses to address, and FS isn’t offering anything to look forward to. We see this reflected in play rates and player retention.

3 Likes