Developer Blog: Versus Closed Alpha Test - Lessons Learned & Takeaways

In this dev blog, Vermintide 2’s Design Director, Joakim, talks about the takeaways and solves that Fatshark learned from the Versus Closed Alpha Test.

Greetings Heroes and Pactsworn alike,

My name is Joakim and I’m the Design Director for Vermintide 2. In this dev blog, I want to look at some findings from the Versus Closed Alpha Test and give you an update on the state of Versus.

To kick this off I want to extend our deepest gratitude to all of you who participated in the Closed Alpha Test. From a developer standpoint, it is always a scary feeling putting things out to you players for initial impressions, but we came out of this with the feeling of overwhelming success. You seemed to have a good time, we got a ton of good feedback, the servers were fairly stable and we did not see any overly alarming crashes or issues preventing play. In short, we couldn’t have hoped for anything more.

Now, on to some stats!

The Closed Alpha Test saw slightly over 3600 players on PC participating in a total of 6056 rounds across 2093 games. The overall majority of those ended up with a clear winner, with 7% ending in draws, and with matches concluding in general within 20-30 minutes on the Screaming Bell Versus mission.

For the Heroes, the top career picks were Mercenary, Battle Wizard, Ranger Veteran, Waystalker, and Witch Hunter Captain, with an overall meta solidifying around handguns and the longbow. For the Pactsworn the spread was fairly even across all specials but (not surprisingly) with a higher pick rate, playtime, and damage rate for the Globadier.

More than a thousand of you also answered our survey, which together with the forum and Discord posts made for some (long and) great reading. Again, a big thank you to everyone who took the time to provide us with thoughts and feedback for the good and the bad.

94% of the survey respondents have played Vermintide for more than 60 hours, and 85% of those usually play on Legend or Cataclysm difficulty (with an additional 13% players on Champion). Naturally, this showed in the test as well: high-performing Hero teams were outplaying the Pactsworn early on, although we did see a shift toward the end of the test as players were getting more familiar with kill-slaying as Skaven.

In terms of feature requests the majority of the feedback touched on the following:

• Balancing being too much in favor of the Hero side, with a low amount of AI-controlled enemies and an abundance of healing items and THP.
  • Requests for playable bosses or elites.
  • Requests for a training area for the Pactsworn specials.
  • Requests for abilities or talents to deepen the Pactsworn gameplay.

All of this feedback aligns with our current goals and we aim to bring you more news soon on our plans going forward. As for balancing, we’re continuously tuning it and further tests will help us figure out a sweet spot where a majority of players can enjoy Versus. Given that the Closed Alpha Test feedback is skewed towards more experienced players though, we are hoping to get more Recruit and Veteran players into the next tests to get their input.

Rest assured, we are tuning things for the next test to mitigate some of your frustrations. Matches were often too close in terms of scoring, and the Hero team reached the safe zone far more often than we liked. As a starting point we have upped some of the Pactsworn specials’ damage output, tweaked the amount and type of pickups in missions, as well as having adjusted some of the Versus Hero talents and abilities.

For the next test, you will play on a new map, see the addition of premium careers, get kick and mute options, see a match score screen, and Versus specific menu settings. We’re also aiming to do the next test directly in the Vermintide game and not on a testing app, and for this reason, we’re adding a title screen, just like for consoles, with shortcuts to Adventure, Chaos Wastes, and Versus.

Speaking of consoles, you are due a clarification here. Unfortunately, the outlook is not great for seeing the game mode on Xbox or PlayStation. There are a number of reasons for this, but primarily it’s due to technical limitations on the memory and network side. Vermintide 2 was not built with Versus in mind, and as we are bending the game and engine even for PC there are no good alternatives available for console at this point. We could of course have decided not to pursue the game mode at all, but from what we’re seeing we strongly believe that PvP+E is a great addition to Vermintide and an innovation worth pursuing. In the end, we’re making the call that it is better to release it to some than not at all.

Deciding to separate the platforms and player base is not an easy one, and we understand that we are letting our console players down in that regard. To some comfort for you, as well as for the ones uninterested in Versus, know that we have exciting things in the works this year.

As for the next Versus test, we’re delighted to announce our next alpha will launch very soon, and will be open to all owners of Vermintide 2! We hope that you are as excited as we are and that you watch this space for any updates! On behalf of the team, thank you so much for your continued support. Together we can make Versus a great addition to our beloved Vermintide.

See you in a poison wind gas cloud soon,

Joakim, and the Vermintide team

22 Likes

Can’t wait for the next test and to see what other content you all are working on. Keeping fingers crossed for another weapons pack :crossed_fingers:

Thanks FS!

3 Likes

With the survey asking for the amount of experience of players having 60 hours as their highest option, I’d love to know what the actual amount of playtime for your average player looks like for the regular game. Of cause for the introduction of a brand new gamemode which hopefully brings totally new players, it needs to cohings impensate specifically for them and my view on ts heavily scewed as an almost 4k hours modded player. But how is the playerbase actually made up? Constantly attracting new people to spend a dozend hours before they move on? Lots of casual players with two, maybe three hundred hours? Or held alive by the veterans who’ve been playing this game nonstop since release?

Not sure if I’m at liberty to share the numbers we see on live backend day to day, but I can post what I said earlier on Reddit as this line in the dev blog makes it seem like the amount of new players playing the alpha is larger than it is.

We were pretty open we sent out 10k keys pulled from who registered in our sign ups, of which the vast majority had 100+ hours, so the vast majority of those keys were players with 100+ hours. Whether they actually tested the game mode they signed up for and filled out the survey is a different matter entirely (activate your keys and do the surveys, folks!).

Brand new players, and players with lower hours have access to this game mode, too and it’s a playerbase we don’t get to hear too often from, so we felt it important to get their feedback as well, so we can make a game mode that works for veterans and new players.

This next alpha is open to all owners of V2, so if you didn’t get a chance to test or your worried veterans won’t be able to play, now’s your chance; participate in the upcoming one.
The survey is but one data point we pull from. We also have in-game stats, forums, discord, reddit, watching those who streamed. This isn’t just “new players” pulled into a vacuum

Whatever our top end option was on the sign up form is where the largest percentage of signups came from.

2 Likes

Now this i think is very nicely written and good comms^^

3 Likes

I appreciate the transparency on console. I cant say i am hopefull in the truth that anything is coming anytime even remotely soon to console in the future though. Last thing of note we got was necromancer and that took well over a year and i imagine versus will take at least the rest of 2024 to finish and patch up.

I wonder if this will cause another “Pearl Clutching” issue like darktide with the free aquillas and the PC exclusive cosmetic drop…That was not fun to sit through.

There’s definitely stuff coming for console, we haven’t forgotten you all! <3

2 Likes

Thank you Aqshy! :heart: your a

Beacon of light in these forums…fire light of course.

1 Like

Things we are still missing like twitch mode % increase? Or more content also coming to pc (besides vs mode) and a month+ later for console?

Looking forward to trying out the changes, looks very promising!

1 Like

Well thanks for clarifying where consoles stand atleast.

Hope the “exciting new content” is more than just weapons or a new map even if they’re quite welcome (I miss the days where the two are bundled together)

Be nice if, say, the roster of enemies was beefed up. ESPECIALLY for Beastmen who are lacking in elite, specials, Lord, and monster varieties.

Great update-news-thing. Can’t can’t wait for the play-game-thing to drop-release, yes-yes.