When we feel that a communication is obstructed or not free, we can also think of something else. We will see if I am muted in 1-2 hours.
Meh, you’re trying to talk sense to a known shill. He isn’t going to stop trying to paint anyone who doesn’t kiss Obesetuna’s feet because you pointed to the battleship-sized holes in his “logic”.
Best to just ignore him. Either he’ll realize that no one is hearing a word he says and slink away or go back to his circle-jerk to get affirmation.
He didn’t point out any “holes” in my logic. I brought up tangible ways in which FS has improved.
I have a different opinion than you. Get over it.
Edit: and I don’t plan on slinking away, sorry. As it pleases me to do so, I often bring up what I consider to be plainly reasonable viewpoints for other reasonable people who might end up here in the salt mines, not for the perpetual mopers who make absurd claims like “game developers are worse than drug dealers.”
And while I said they have improved, barely, Fatshark are still getting bogged down in issues that they have either experienced or solved before.
Bugs returning, uncommunicated changes, poor conveyance of information for features, deliberately incorrect information, the need to come up with a totally new solution for a previously fixed design or bug, lack of iterative patching in shorter intervals.
Their so co-called quarterly patches exacerbate those issues even more when they suddenly drop 50-100+ changes (that they know about or communicate) which then interact in funny ways for the next 3 months because they either didn’t communicate with each other to coordinate changes or the QA stopped at ‘console certification’ or they started working on the next quarter’s patch using the current quarter’s code bar (or older) without incorporating hotfixes as they go along, or all of the above.
From the outside it looks chaotic and unprofessional, and nothing they’ve done has really counteracted that perception. Their PR guys seem to neglect their existing player-base. For a studio that managed to make such a good core game, it’s really disappointing that everything outside of that seems to be such a mess, and that’s the part that Fatshark seems to be having trouble improving on.
I don’t have such a dim view of their recent performance.
Software is tough, bug-free software on a quarterly schedule is tough. They aren’t doing it perfectly, but they’re doing it, and things just aren’t going so bad imo. They’re constantly working on fixing crashes and bugs that have a big impact, while they’ve continued to hit quarterly releases with a pretty diverse array of deliverables, they got out a DLC, balancing is supposedly being made a standard part of quarterly updates, and it seems to me they respond to a lot of player feedback (Arbites cosmetics restrictions rollback, sacrifice system, havoc changes).
The part thatis truly strange is the fact they seem to give zero f***s about it.
Truly mindblowing.
They don’t want their playerbase back it seems.
Review bombing makes things worse.
Review bombing has led to Fatshark actually communicating. Whenever reviews go back to ‘Mixed’ on Steam they suddenly gain the power of speech.
Can catfish come back pls. Fatshark she communicated where Fatshark didn’t hell the devs actually communicated and as soon as she left it’s back to “I KNOW NOTHING”
You’re thinking of Strawhat who took a while to spin up but did eventually get good at comms.
Adding misinformation to your game intentionally is rather stupid
I’m get my cavalcade of the rotating door that are fatshark cms mixed up
I’m curious why this was pushed out, and there are plenty decent reasons for it, especially if they had an expectation that the accompanying update (that would make the updated tooltip not “misinformation”) was coming in hot.
At any rate, I think it’s a pretty minor thing. And they communicated that it was happening.
It’s pretty clear why. The patch included crash fixes that were impacting a bunch of users. The text issue was discovered after the update was submitted to the consoles for approval… The options were to delay the patch that fixes crashes by however long it takes to get approval by the consoles, or mention there was some text that was added early.
In a vacuum, sure, it is commendable to respond to feedback to your own mistakes, but looked at overall, they just keep on making mistakes, and I should reiterate that a good chunk of them are mistakes they have made before. I don’t think it helps Fatshark or players to pat Fatsharks back when they fix a mistake when they go on to continue to make similar mistakes. I work in service management adjacent to software development, and going by Fatshark patches, there would be failed changes all over the place and I would question why they keep rolling out so many things with problems after a while. I’d rather they shape up or at least see why it seems so drunken, hence pointing at possbile structural, institutional or managerial issues.
That’s fine for you to think. I think FS is on a pretty clear upward trajectory, and I’m rooting for them because they continue to make and support some of my absolute all-time favorite games. I build software for a living, and I don’t consider most of the issues the game has had, or the missteps FS has made, in the last 2 years to be much more than minor, temporary annoyances.
The “misinformation” discussed above is a good example. They communicated it, it’s a little scruffy, but I just don’t think it’s a big deal. Not even if they made the same mistake before.
That’s just my opinion.
Do you also release products half baked then spend two years fixing it? Forget the lessons learnt with your previous product and make the next product with the same issues and flaws?
The game industry is already ridiculously lenient with standards due to it being a luxury product, but it also scales. A hobbyist or small indie developer I would expect and tolerate more jank. A professional studio with hundreds? On their third iteration of the same spritual series? Over a decade releasing games in a similar genre? Not as much.
It just feels like excusing almost all of their flaws due to a perceived upwards trend is forgiving or ignoring things that would get developers castigated in any other software industry.
I want them to be better, and they do get better, sometimes, but they also seem to backslide almost just as often. In parts, anyway.
No, but every time someone touches some piece of code somewhere, and any time there are humans involved in any kind of process, there’s liable to be issues. It’s just real life.
I disagree that FS has forgotten all the lessons they’ve learned. I’ve brought up several examples in this thread of things I think they’re doing better on.
I want them to be better too (especially on the communication front), for my own personal enjoyment but also so they can make bigger and better games. And I’m not excusing their flaws; we just apparently don’t view (most of) them the same way.
Yes, but usually when humans touch code there should be an underlying set of standards and processes supporting that, and that’s where I think a lot of their issues stem from.
I think we do view it overall the same way, but we are coming to it from opposite directions.
There are a lot of very simple things they could do to instantaneously improve player sentiment they have refused to do for 3 years now.
Their rate of ‘improvement’ will leave me old and gray before I can even see them as in a comparable light to similar studios