Does anyone find Darktide way too grindy?

I think this fact would really turn a lot of potential users off the game because of it. This and Vermintide series don’t really need this level of grindiness. The game shines when you are fully leveled up and fully geared doing harder and harder difficulties. I don’t understand why they made the progression so slow to hinder potentially a much more enjoyable experience. This game isn’t supposed to be an early 2000s MMORPG. The game at the start is flat out boring. You can’t experiement with different gear or different feats because the game askes you to spend 20 or 30 hours PER character to level up to 30 at least.

11 Likes

No, you’re not the only one. I understand not wanting to overwhelm new players-this is very much the opposite. Levels take a while to get, especially later on, and you can’t even settle on weapons you like because the game is constantly forcing you to swap them out until level 30. If things had been reduced so the time it takes to level 20, or even level 25, is the time it takes to get to 30, it would be much better imo.

2 Likes

Yeah

Not really no, but it’s clear this is going to vary a lot depending on your player profile

~30h to reach “end game” - barebones at the moment, can’t wait for the crafting system
Pretty light to me

Gives you a comfortable introduction to most mechanics

Your second character you’ll be much faster, because you got better, and because the playerbase got better in general

1 Like

To me it feels about right. You level up on every game play. In fact in 2 games I think I went to level 3. That’s plenty fast IMO.

Wait until you’re in the 20s. Then it’s 3 or 4 games.

3 Likes

But there are only 30 levels right? I see some people at level 30 and the game has been for 2 weeks?

Levels aren’t terribly grindy. Weapons are just super irritating to get, took me multiple hours to get a subpar bolter. Especially in a beta. I honestly wish they just gave you every type of gun to test, but ehh I understand why.

I think it is just at the right pace to level up.

Such a game is meant to play for years to come. I see no reason why people often complain about leveling.
For me it is part of the process to understand how a game works. And i dont want to boost trough the levels.

Maybe this is only about me, but i allready see a lot of peoples just rushing trough the levels without enjoy the gameplay. I understand you are now level 30 (i am also) and want coins for weapons. But why must this be this fast, so fast you want skip all the mobs if possible ?

I played VT2 for 400 hours and was happy as the implement the wasteland rogue like mode. Only because i get bored as my charakters all have max gear.

Maybe someone can explain to me why it is so important to have all maxed out in a few days and then mayve dont know what else to do beside speed runs.

I mean both in terms of gear as well as levels. V2 was grindy for red gear really. Level wise, not so much. For this game I feel gear is a lot more gindier since there are no items shared between characters. But at the same time, I can’t comment too much until the crafting system is implimented.

I had around 2000 hours in V2. Really frustrating to have when you want to have your friends play, but it takes 40 or so hours to get them to get to the point you are, while trying to coordinate each others busy schedules. It takes so much fun out of it. And Like I said - the initial part of the game is so boring since you don’t get to choose your play style and locked into a very limited number of weapons. I can also tell some people will be turned off since the early part is so boring. You want to max out so you can actually enjoy trying different items and builds and enjoy the game at higher difficulty. Not grind for the grinding sake.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t really like how grindy the levelling up process is. Honestly you should get a level per game as the talents are important for fully unlocking the class mechanics. With level per game you can test out different talents for a few games and then you get a new one.

For gear I don’t mind it that much if it is grindy, assuming the crafting system will help to get the gear you want/need like in VT2.

2 Likes

You do get a level up per mission, if you stick to your intended difficulty

Problem is, right now you don’t really have the tools to stay at your power level, since crafting isn’t in game, and because of the shop and requisitorium time gates

That means it’s practically impossible that you will be well equipped enough to tackle Heresy before level 30 and stalking the shop refresh, at which point you no longer need the experience boost

The leveling curve is fine, the time gates are pretty terrible designs

It’s not very pleasant as it is, both gameplay and around.

1 Like

I have nearly 44 hrs in the game and have a Veteran at 30 and an Ogryn at 22.

From my perspective it really depends on how future classes will be handled.

• Are new classes seperate classes that need to be leveled independently, or

• Are they sublasses like in VT2

If each new class is going to require 20-30 hrs of playtime to get to level 30 it’s going to kill this game.

1 Like

Don’t have an issue with being required to level up each class separately. What I strongly dislike is the lack of shared storage and money.

Personally I think the the leveling pacing is just right.

It’s pretty clearly designed to work around the monetization that’ll be put in place when the game officially releases. It’s one thing for the devs to charge money for cosmetics–still obnoxious considering they’ll likely be in day one with a game we’re already paying full price for, but it doesn’t actually impact gameplay–but when they start selling “premium currency” that can be used to obtain actual weapons and gear, it becomes a genuine problem. Add the layer of currency being character-locked and then take into consideration the fact that the currency for the best weapons (melk’s stuff) is timegated behind weekly tasks, and it becomes an obvious case of a dev introducing a timegate that you can only bypass with real money. It’s a scummy move and implementing it will evaporate any sort of goodwill I have remaining towards fatshark as a dev team.

yup, too grindy

Yea for like 25 hours I have a level 21 Zealot and a 25 Ogryn. I think a big part of it is the books and general mission set up, we had guaranteed book spawns in VT2 and could grind a short mission if we chose so the grind could be tempered. There was also about a dozen month+ periods of double and I think at one point triple XP. But having done the grind twice in VT2 (after I upped to PC from console) this isn’t even a new XP system. It is still equally tone deaf from a development perspective, but its basically 1-1 the VT2 bar only levels are longer and books are random spawns. People forget that they also affect XP gain even if low tier chests are bad, I similarly see no reason not to grab whatever scriptures/grimoires appear in DT, but if you actively search for them you are adding like 5m to each completion because of all the potential spawns you’re checking. Both of these things on their own make the mission completion rate slower even without comparing to a very short level like screaming bell.

Also extra XP is a stat you can potentially stack multiple times but it looks like you’d have to play some 20+ games to actually save a level played. Not really as useful as the extra money which can at least keep you from being priced out at the shop before money becomes non issue. But this is the pre beta no crafting or re rolling system.