Does anybody else hate the "peasant" lines of the GK?

Kruber wasn’t French in V1 and the careers in V2 are alternate paths they have taken. None of the careers exist in the same time.

People also don’t develop accents after learning about your own family’s heritage.

2 Likes

You are talking Nonsense here. The Lines are Good!
ahhh Peasants…

2 Likes

Uhm, so. Kerillian is a Wood Elf, a High Elf and a Dark Elf, but give Kruber proper voice lines in French. Heresy… Please. There’s already a racially confused Elf, proper accent voice lines are the least they could give him.

You’re not Bretonnian if you’re from the Empire and the Lady of the Lake would never in a million years choose a person from the Empire to be a Grail Knight - even IF your family magically gave up on being Nobles (no Noble would be that daft) or you tried to flee from being a peasant (enjoy your flogging). It goes against all established lore.

1.) all elves are the same race
2.) high, dark, wood elves are just separate classes
3.) none of her careers exist in the same timeline. they are alternate possible paths that Keri has chosen after the events of Vermintide 1

Kruber can’t have a French accent because he didn’t have one in the first game.

He was chosen because of his Bretonnian heritage he was unaware of which is part of his new backstory.

You don’t get a French accent after finding out you’re X% French from 23AndMe DNA testing so why would Kruber?

3 Likes

Blockquote 1.) all elves are the same race
Blockquote 2.) high, dark, wood elves are just separate classes
Blockquote 3.) none of her careers exist in the same timeline. they are alternate possible paths that Keri has chosen after the events of Vermintide 1

Elves are not all the same race, the same species - yes, the same race. No.
High Elves, Dark Elves and Wood Elves are certainly not separate classes. They’re separate races and they all split off from each other thousands of years in Warhammer lore. Wood Elves literally need Athel Loren to do good in order to not go insane they’re that connected - a connection none of the other Elves need or share. Dark Elves have grown accustomed to the frigid north and are partially corrupted with Chaos taint - the only Elves that have not changed are High Elves save for the fact that they’re less of a peaceful race as they used to be and now a warrior race.
If none of the careers exist in the same timeline, then neither does the Grail Knight and then nothing prevents him from having a French Accent. You’re literally contradicting yourself.

Kerillian as a Shade has purple skin, no amount of alternate timeline would have her skin go from “fair” skinned to purple skinned from choosing another career path. Again, there’s absolutely nothing preventing Kruber from getting proper voice lines according to being Bretonnian all of a sudden.

You don’t get purple skin, just because you all of a sudden discover you have dark elf heritage, you’re either born as one or you are one of the few surviving Dark Elves landing in Naggaroth in the first place - in either case not a single Wood Elf would spare your life. Dark Elves were the masterminds behind the plot to murder the Mage Queens sister - caused the Mage Queen to become tainted with Dark Magic and effectively ensured centuries of madness and corruption in Athel Loren.

Enough with the lame excuses. The lore has already been contradicted several times in this game. There’s no reason why Kruber can’t have a French accent to go with his Grail Knight other than laziness and lack of willingness to spend the money on it.

And as I already said, no amount of heritage will have the Lady of the Lake choose one from the Empire to be her shield against Chaos. That is solely for Bretonnian knights and nobles. No one else, certainly not a grunt from the Empire.

1 Like

@Ashreon I think you are right there.
I prefer Kerillian’s careers to the GK as you can sort of think that she started to listen to Lileath or Kaine, and for some - admittedly odd - reason she decided to imitate the looks of your avarage handmaiden or shade as a consequence.
I’d be ok with something similar to happen to Kruber - “didn’t I ever tell you I’ve always fancied being a grail knight as a kid? Must have been 'cause we were always so poor, and I grew up too close to Bretonnia. You hear the stories. 'Course, those sodders wouldn’t give us the time of day. Thaal curse them.”
Instead they had to modify his background - ruin it in my opinion - and do it in a way which doesn’t even fit vermintide lore well, since Kruber’s familiy hails from Talabecland and not the Reikland… just so they could make him into an actual grail knight.
EDIT: Which for me is objectionable, regardless of the lore. I mean at least Kerillian stays true to her character no matter the career, but Kruber’s always been about being down to earth, sensible, critical of the rich folks and the nobility (“now, i don’t want to hear more jokes about Ubersreik’s poor quarters” when getting into the skaven town in Into the Nest, or the lines in Bogenhafen, for example) but now? He’s all about his noble ancestry, and calling his former superior - which he rightfully respected and feared - a peasant, every turn, because yeah.

By the way, has the Lady ever appeared outside Bretonnia before?

They are the same race.

Wood, High, Dark are just different FACTIONS of the elven RACE (singular).

Careers taken AFTER the events of the first Vermintide game. Kruber did not have a French accent in V1 so it wouldn’t make sense for him to have one now. Each career in V2 are POSSIBLE OUTCOMES so that’s why all of their careers cannot exist in the same timeline.

Do you know your complete heritage? Because I don’t. The Lady of the Lake chose him because of his Bretonnian heritage he was aware he had.

It’s like waking up one day and going to the Ancestry website and finding out you’re a quarter French. Do you get a French accent all of a sudden?

No, you do not.

1 Like

To be fair: you are accurate in your analysis, but we were promised something along the lines of “Kruber trying out absurd french accents” while all we got are the “peasant variations”.
While I don’t fancy the idea too much, it was pretty much something which was talked about - while of course not something Kruber had by birth.

1 Like

Source? I don’t recall anyone from Fatshark making any promises about Kruber having a French accent…

I want to help you but I don’t recall exactly. I think it was somewhere here on the forum, as I don’t much follow the streams.
It probably wasn’t a hard set-in-stone promise, more like a guideline for what they were going for, anyway definitely something which was talked about. I don’t much care for it - my point is just about how poor the actual execution is - but I get Ashreon.

If you find it then please link source.

I don’t ever remember anyone promising that at all.

Well, I did find this: Markus de Mandelot - A Blog Post by Lohner

He’s still our Markus, even if he does keep attempting that dreadful accent.

One line, that’s about it, unless mentioned in other blog posts/comments that I’m not going to bother looking through.

2 Likes

No where in that post says that Fatshark promised to add an accent to Kruber.

Just Lohner telling a story and making fun of Kruber for attempting the accent.

Kruber has the Bretonnian bloodline.
Kruber has earned his place in battle.

And that is why the Lady has chosen him.

Like I said before, there were no promise made by Fatshark to actually give Kruber an accent. It was just his backstory explaining why he was chosen to be a Grail Knight. Much to the confusion of Kruber himself not realizing his own heritage.

Sums it up nicely.

You should look up Bretonnia lore, then you might understand the joke better. They are all about chivalry and nobility and stuff. Non-knights are “peasants”. In Warhammer Total War non-knights usually have the trait expendable for example :rofl:

20211125_113150

4 Likes

Sir, necromancy is not viewed favorably by the common populace or even the uncommon one and you may be subjected to…memes.

1 Like

The funny thing is the way Kruber doesn’t want the affection that Saltzpyre has for him. Saltzpyre is constantly praising or fawning over him. Kruber doesn’t want the attention and you’ll notice the whole team has a tendency to rib on Saltzpyre, even when he does exceedingly well.

One convo always demonstrates this to me in a funny way:
Kruber: “A good kill, sir/peasant. But keep your elbow up - your guard’s open.”
Saltzpyre: “You dare… Thank you, Kruber. I shall heed your advice.”
Bardin: “As you should, Grimgi. No one wants to lug your corpse around.”

It’s just their odd relationship where Kruber doesn’t really like Saltzpyre that much, but Saltpyre is weirdly neurotic and flattering toward Kruber.

Although I will admit, it being sort of a constant thing, hearing peasant in place of sir, it gets a bit old; but nowhere near as old as Kerillians constant banter gets. I think it’s accentuated by the way many toxic players constantly play DPS only Kerillian builds.

1 Like

If the topic is relevant to someone, I don’t know why every online forum cares if someone responds “necromancy” to a thread that’s 10 years old. If it’s a joke, it’s not original and extremely overused. What’s wrong with responding to an old topic?

1 Like

It isnt strictly against the guidelines to bump old threads if you are interested but it is considered mildly annoying generally since it often pings people who arent interested anymore.

It also significantly raises the chance that someone might accidentally reply to an old comment that isnt relevant anymore creating clutter and confusion.

Oftentimes its better to just make a new topic and refer to the old one if you really wana continue talks or keep it low to avoid above stuff.

I have some forgiveness and sympathy for the VA and Lines for GK as they were recorded (I think) directly when the entire world was incarcerated in their own home against their will. Actually recorded in the VA’s home I think, or not in the usual studio at least. Some of the lines even sound like they’re inside a helmet, but I think it’s just where it was all so tremendously difficult to pull off and sound enclosed by accident.

They might have been the first and only pass at the lines, with no option to rework or redo.