Damage still gets through toughness

I’m not sure if this is an intended mechanic or a bug, but according to the tutorial damage is supposed to come from your toughness first, health second, akin to THP in vermintide. In practice, toughness only reduces the damage you take, you still take some small amount of damage even before your toughness is fully depleted. This is especially noticeable on the Preacher after your invincibility passive gets proc’d.

If this behavior is intentional, then the tutorial should be updated to clearly reflect that. As it stands, the tutorial gives the impression that toughness totally absorbs damage rather than simply reducing it.

17 Likes

It’s hideous when you play zealot to die when you have remaining toughness

12 Likes

Melee deals chip damage through toughness.

2 Likes

Yeah. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason a lot of the time.

2 Likes

Ranged damage seems to do so as well in my experience, at least sometimes.

4 Likes

which is stupid for melee classes, especialy zealot, oh your cheat death saved you? well the next hit will kill you even with full toughness

8 Likes

Yeah with Saltzpyre Zealot it was totally his MO to be on 1HP, sustained by temp health. If you don’t keep up temp health, you die, that’s fair.

But with Preacher Zealot you can have completely full Toughness but die in 1 shot. It doesn’t feel tough at all.

5 Likes

I don’t mind the existence of chip damage in general, but it shouldn’t be able to take out your last hitpoint.

7 Likes

I signed up to forums just for this. I’m playing zealot and the fact you can die with full toughness just to be killed by one of the dreg horde zombies left alive by accident is just bad design. Makes me reconsider playing zealot as a melee - main class. It feels especially bad when it happens when you’re the last man standing cleaning the few remaining enemies before you’d revive your allies.

8 Likes

I’m hoping the 25% dmg-heal trait will set me free of this issue… But it’s honestly just a bandaid. It’ll make getting to lower health more tedious, while still only being a temporary solution until 25% is 2HP.

I played/loved the hell out of zealot as victor…

1 Like

im having this issue too, often meleeing through hordes then just drop dead with a 75% full toughness bar as they somehow managed to deplete my whole hp bar

4 Likes

The issue with the Until Death invincibility is that its icon disappears from the UI once you select the Holy Revenant regeneration feat. So I can’t even play around that because I don’t see whether Until Death is still on cooldown or not. If I don’t have that feat, the icon is there - colored red if available and greyed out if on cooldown. With the feat, no icon whatsoever.

1 Like

I’m fine with chip damage from melee hits but you should be safe from getting downed until your toughness is broken.

4 Likes

The only real way that you can deal with this on a redline build that I have found is with the talent that heals yourself for the damage you do while in near death state. As long as your teammates have an understanding of what you are about (big if) and don’t kill everything in melee range of you, you can easily heal yourself back to full hp in those 5 seconds. When I play darktide zealot compared to vermintide zealot I no longer go out of my way to tank my hp to 1 at the start. Instead, I take the risks, I play super aggressively until about 20% hp, and then i do my best to stay there. When you hear the world go on mute, spam melee damage as fast as possible, get back to full hp and just repeat the cycle.

Preacher is working as intended as FatShark has said many many times in other threads.

The community has been saying this since we got access after the CBT. Fat Shark has been silent about the class besides a single post saying the class is working as intended.

1 Like

I never said it wasn’t working as intended, i said that Zealot feels miserable to play because of this horrible design

And sorry but Zealot have a ton of issue currently. One of his first feats doesn’t work, as well as his passive not giving the correct dmg based on missing health or his ult not giving the amount of toughness indicated in the description… I don’t think he “works as intended”

2 Likes

Don’t worry. They’ll sell “health hardener” consumables in the cash shop to solve the issue.

5 Likes

For me at least. I’ve noticed the chip damage happening when attacked from behind or side. Assumed this was intended mechanic.

My main complaint is that the warning sound of I’m going to get shanked is not present so chip damages feels cheap; Especially when enemies materialise out of thin air sometimes.

It’s weird, there are some matches I don’t get an audio cue when locked on to at range or an enemy is about to attack my back, but other rounds it functions correctly every time.