Critical Strikes should be "Applied" When it is Landed on the Target, Not Sart of the Attack

I make sure my swings don’t miss. :wink:
No really, crits are plentiful enough. Missing a crit once in a while hardly matters.

Yeah like you’ve never missed a hit. Lol

1 Like

What’s funny about this thread is I see both sides and like, I get it.

But I’m also personally indifferent so I don’t have much to offer either way aside from this:

In VT1 killing blow, skullcracker and other procs were done per-hit instead of per-swing and still felt very impactful when you landed them. Killing blow had a very thunderous meaty feeling to it like you’d just caved the target’s skull in, kinda similar to how crits feel in VT2. Not sure how you’d replicate the visual effect woosh of crit swings in V2 though if it were per-hit basis

6 Likes

You don’t. Those sweet-sweet baseballing ratties flying off into the river from The Pit’s beach after you land a crit swing from the 2h Hammer would be lost forever.

Also what’s that about ‘missing crits’? Does that mean that people miss critical swings more than normal ones for some reason? Because if not, than the point is moot - the stats hold true.

1 Like

V1 felt a lot better and I miss some of those sweet traits.

I do agree with @MeleeSlaaneshFnE because it doesn’t feel right to be able to crit nothing. If critical hit chance was reduced slightly and activated on hit instead of swing, it would make gameplay feel more meaningful.

Plus it just feels weird when I accidentally hit attack and get a crit :joy: Just feels goofy af

You tell it to all those HEMA nerds who swing their swords at the air for hours on end to get their edge alignment just right. They can also hear the difference by ear too.

It would also completely skew all the balancing. Again.

4 Likes

No, it wouldn’t. It’s literally in most games already.

It’s pretty hard to find a modern game where critical hits activate per swing instead of hit.

Lol critically hitting the air though. So funny :joy:

1 Like

How do you define modern game? Here, Star Tail from 2017 has Crit applied on Swing.

Realms of Arkania: Star Trail bei Steam (steampowered.com)

And as OrsonMaxwell explained. You can very well “crit” the air. Noticeable by the apparent difference in sound.

1 Like

It may be to a person who know nothing about actually using bladed weapons, so the joke is on you, mate.

What do other games have to do with Vermintide 2 balance? You’re making no sense.

1 Like

Then explain this to me:

Why is it in V2 and not V1?

Also I never heard of that game. Did you find that game in Google search? :joy:

The fact of the matter is that critical hits usually only apply to successful hits in most games. Just because a handful don’t apply that rule means it’s a good rule.

Critical hits are supposed to be luck based which makes getting one satisfying.

You can’t critically hit the air in real life but you can critically injure someone. Games are supposed to have some logic and reason.

1 Like

Doesn’t make it bad either following the exact same logical argument. It’s just another creative choice to be made.

They are luck based in VT2.

You can, and they do. Even if you personally refuse to see it.

2 Likes

No, I applied its predecessor. But I feared you would consider that one as “to old”. So I opted for the newer release.

I can’t read minds. But if I had to make random guesses. Easier to program? Easier to adapt? Maybe they thought it is easier to balance? One of the differences between V1 and V2 is the number of enemies. Maybe they feared that high cleave weapons would trigger it to easily due to the higher enemy count. Although it is now skewed in favour of fast weapons.

That is your perception, not a law.

It is not a rule. And I have severe doubt it is really like this. In most games you just don’t notice missed crits

Yes, you can. Depending how you perceive it. For you crit is a damage modifier. Nothing more.

I don’t even understand why you are twisting logic to this extent. I am not asking of you to like how it is applied. You can still dislike it and favour a different method. But you have to accept that applying crit is something which exists and that there is nothing speaking against it.

Doing increased damage because the swing was extra sharp is far more logical then pure luck based.

1 Like

Okay you’re just grasping at straws now.

Go read my comments above regarding weapons that cleave. It would be incredibly easy to balance.

Idly you’re defending a bad RNG element in this game. Please don’t give Fatshark any more bad ideas.

The game is already on its last leg.

1 Like

What do you refer to? The upper paragraph I specifically said that I am random guessing. There is no grasping straws for the remaining parts.

The rest is just you insisting that crit has to apply to hit although there are existing examples of games doing it otherwise. And from a logical standpoint it also fits better to apply to swing. You have just different preferences. That doesn’t make it bad.

This discussion is nearly as dumb as the one I had on Steam with the guy not understanding the meaning of a simple word -_-

2 Likes

Couldn’t be as dumb as you defending a horribly awful RNG mechanic. I love this game too but I will not white knight a feature that’s awful. There’s already enough RNG in this game to power a small town.

If you can’t be bothered to search for what I said then let me repeat it:

If crits were applied per hit with a cleave weapon then it would only apply to the first enemy hit. Like it does in most games.

Let me know when you figure out how to critically strike the air. We might need you to save the world.
The Happening

1 Like

If you cannot be bothered to google ‘HEMA edge alignment’ to see all those dumb people swinging at the air, than at least please explain how this mechanic is ‘awfully RNG’ as opposed to what you’re suggesting (whatever that is).

3 Likes

You just have preferences for another RNG. So that last sentence doesnt make much sense. I also have yet to see what makes this application so “awful”. It is just a creative choice of the developer team O.o

It happens the moment you get a perfect motion. As mentioned like half a dozen time already? You can hear it by the sound. If we want to go fully ape we could start discussing now about the material composition of air, the contained molecules and the friction and other stuff caused by a perfect hit. However, I am not good enough in physics to make this fool-proof and not idiotic enough to go in that direction.

You don’t like it. I get it. However, it is a purely creative design choice which works and is logical.

1 Like

Critical hits in this game are already RNG based but they added another RNG mechanic on top of that by including missable crits.

How hard is it to understand I want the removal of the RNG part of missable crits.

What’s next? You’re going to tell me that Weaves were a successful game mode?

1 Like

This is really just semantics y’all. If it wasn’t called a “crit”, but a “perfect swing” or something else would you have an issue with it @SirKruber?

I’m yet to see someone raise an actual gameplay issue with the way things are, other than being able to miss a crit, which, well, doesn’t really seem like an issue at all to me.

Edit: didn’t see your last post before I posted this. Missing crits still doesn’t really seem like a big issue to my honestly, though I guess it would be nice if the pseudo random crit distribution took misses into account. I have a strong inkling that reworking crits in the way you suggest would result in FS breaking a bunch of stuff then taking months to fix it. Not worth it for the sake of missed crits IMO.

There is certainly a discussion to be had about how the current system favours fast weapons, but so far unfortunately that is not the discussion we’re having. Keeping this gameplay focused seems like it would be more productive.

3 Likes

You do understand that missing a swing is also a random event which applies to both critical and non-critical swings, so the actual ratio of crits to non-crits stays the same both for missed and landed hits, don’t you?

6 Likes