Chaos Wastes Feedback and Poll

Who needs chain lightning when you can run blazing echo and have twin burning heads for every cast. :fire:

The timer is seven days. I have not read a single comment about last weeks viewer days being a problem in this forum, or reddit. It doesnt make much sense either, since the expeditions wouldnt get locked. All that would happen is maps being different, and the last one not being the same every single time.

Thats not only a positive for people who would like to do a run or two every couple of days, but also for people who just want to get done with it and get screwed by a certain modifier. That way they dont need to wait a week for that one to change.

The seven days timer will kill a lot or replay value for people who like the mode and would play it semi regularly otherwise.

You only need to play Cloak of Mist Shade, WHC, or Pyro plus Chain Lightning to make the whole run a snore festival. Its not like other combinations that require atleast two specific boons for that to happen, which is indeed rare. Just adding an internal CD to it would fix that.

2 Likes

Yeah but I was mainly addressing the quoted combination. Obviously 100 % crit careers can have insane powerspikes with just chain lightning alone. With sienna you can proc the crit talent by just venting which makes it 100 times more consistent for her. (Or you could play high crit pyro)

Chaos Wastes is fun, but I prefer the standard gamemode more. Once I get completion on all 5 characters I probably won’t be playing it much. CW is just a little too long and tedious for me.

My internet crashed and I got booted from the game literally right before we prayed at the altar on my last run, kind of killed the motivation for me. When the game lasts 90-12 minutes, you really feel that loss.

New weapons are a lot of fun though, and they are all pretty good.

2 Likes

One has to admit that Fatshark has managed to increase the crash generated level of frustration to a whole new level.

3 Likes

I think you are exaggerating / playing at low difficulties / have way too much time on your hand (speaking from my own perspective of spending way too much time on this game anyway). I simply cannot see how seven days with the existing branching possibilities and other random factors can kill replay value. But OK, let’s agree to disagree.

Well, they already tried packing things like that with WoM and it didn’t work out at all due to many reasons, so it’s hard to understand why they’d try it again. Also, the “we can grind towards” bit is probably the one thing that a lot of people are glad to be done with. If I see a fancy hat I may want to catch rats while wearing it now, not after 2 months of weekly grinding to get enough quests for shillings done, or after having gone through something like 100 map completions. By that point I’d probably want a break from the game, if anything.

They did not try this, they added a new race yes, but it was still kind of limited compared to skaven and Chaos. And they added one map with this, the main selling point with WoM was WoM, another game mode, that totally failed.

So this have not been tried… What they do try now is to add yet another game mode, this is kind of WoM 2.0. But I do think CW is much better but still kind of the same concept, a new game mode.

The problem with CW and why I think it will die kind of quickly is;

It takes to long to complete.
Its very easy to wipe with Randoms.
When you join in the middle of the game you are so gimped that the run gets pretty boring.

You get only chest as reward, instead of coins that we could buy skins for. I have all reds in the game and then some and I have all the coin skins… (but this is a general problem, probably the biggest problem with the game for long time players atm)

If you buy skins with coins, (that you have to earn) you should be able to use it straightaway, then the skins become more interesting and will feel more like you earned em instead of “pay to get” scheme. But i could even go as far as to meet people who think like you half way, make the skin so they can be bought with real money AND in game coins, this is easy the best solution. Then people who like to grind can do that and people who want quicker access and to support the company with money can do that.

As I said before, they could take a higher price for these kind of expansions. That would probably bring in more money than this sell ridiculously priced skins plan. If you want the 4 new skins and hats its gonna cost you close to 40-50€ that’s 100% more than the whole original game. But sure soon one skin will cost 50€ and people like you will still sit and defend this kind of business plan.

If you buy all careers with skins and all new skins that’s close to 100e. Then you have the hat-packs.

100e, for how much content compared to the base game? 5%? for 400% the price, that’s just a joke ^^ But if you don’t understand that and defend that next time the skins will be 50$ per piece and you will probably still sit and defend this ^^

This skin thing could be OK if they added like 10 other “coin” skins for every “lol price” skin, but they don’t.

They have added like 5-10 new (none cash) skins in 3 years lol, and before that they used re-colour of old skins :smiley:

Apply for a job with Fatshark then

Sorry, but I’m going to hazard a bet they have a better idea of what is making them more money at this point in the game’s lifecycle than you do

1 Like

I couldn’t be happier with this DLC. This was IMO the missing piece of the equation. They have created an experience that has very high replay value and it also feels like you are progressing. Keep the boons as long as you die or finish the full run is ok with me because it’s as if I’m playing a game like diablo on hardcore for the ladder. That’s how it feels to me at least. A leaderboard would be a nice add on or maybe letting you give coins to party members but overall this DLC has really impressed me.

I really hope Darktide has something similar.

And that they know what they can take on their plates, they aren’t a really big studios and they don’t have an easy game to balance/debug

My biggest concern about CW is the random talents, specifically the ammo pickup talents.
They are ridicolously underpowered and on many classes totally wasted.
Least harming is when you get from trial chest or shrine cause then you get other options (or not if unlucky) but at least it doesnt cost a single coin.
If you get it from boon, you just wasted 200 coins for absolutely nothing.

Waystalker does not need to pickup (if she does, she is really clueless)
Moonfire elf cant pickup ammo at all, yet, still can get ammo talents (why???)
Same for flamer/pistol bardin, why??

Those should be really reworked, either triggered by any ammo refund talent/traits or be adaptive and change if the player has no ammo weapon.

And the worst part is, it is insanely high chance you get those if you play range character.
Playing as WS 50% of the time i get ammo pickup talents and i dont have to pickup any ammo during the whole run so i can leave them for my teammates.

I mean, they’ve also gotta be balanced around the fact that RV exists… An RV in the party usually means multiple people can have ammo pickup effects active most of the time, at which point they become pretty damn strong.

Admittedly getting it with Moonfire is annoying, but also the game can’t know whether or not you’re going to be sticking to the one ranged weapon the entire expedition. Would certainly be nice not to be able to receive those boons with Moonfire equipped.

Cant argue with RV, but then, these talents should be “locked” to RV, as in these should be upgrades for his ammo packs

The health on ammo pickup is a really great talent. I got it when running RV and it was great. I also got it when playing Handmaiden with moon fire bow. I just picked a random ranged weapon at the next ranged pick up station (getting longbow), so that I could use the trait. It was well worth it. You can use any ammo box to to recharge your full health bar - just stand next to the box and fire 1 arrow then pick up ammo and repeat until you are back to full health. With the amount of ammo in the CW, ammo sustain is never a problem. If you love the moon fire bow more than health then just forgo the benefits of the talent.

I see a lot of people complaining about the randomness of the wastes (especially the random weapon pick ups), but that’s the whole point of this game mode (and what makes twitch mode great). You get unexpected builds and synergies that make you OP or you can have to adapt to getting a weapon that doesn’t synergise with your talents. That’s what makes it fun. We have the adventure mode if you value predictability and consistency in your builds. I would argue that we need more unpredictability in the wastes, especially at the chests of trials as the single monster spawns are already boring. We need some more variation.

1 Like

At least heal on ammo pickup is not totally wasted, although still a messed up talent if you got unlucky with weapons (e.g you exchanged your range into nonammo one)
But what about faster reload on ammo pickup?
Sure, really strong for a trollhammer dwarf and absolutely useless for any elf bow/huntsman bow or drake dwarf

A talent that you pay for that only can be useful if you have RV in the team (since there isnt perma ammo chest at every corner) is frustrating to say the least.

What im saying is either these talents have to be triggered by any ammo refund/sustain talents or they should be locked to appear only if there is a VR in the team.

That is actually incorrect since active average player has easily tripled. If they would stick around, that would finally be a huge victory for V2. I just hope they do, and I hope with the splitting us up in different game modes, it will still be felt in a positive way.

Only time will tell us that though. As for your second statement, I think implementing something like this including the new maps, into the base game together with a new difficulty would have found a similar effect. At the same time that would have increased people playing the game as a whole for certain.

As for the chaos wastes gameplay, it’s pretty good for a free DLC, but that’s not what I am angry about. It’s that to me, it seems they don’t think carefully before implementing new things, which may end up killing their game instead.

For now it seems to have positive results and I hope that remains. But imagine a negative receptions of the new game mode, with 30% still liking it and starting to play that, no new players flocking to the game and staying around.

But OK, enough doomsday scenarios, so far it seems to create an upwards flow rather than a downwards flow, and hopefully it continous that way.

I like the mode and would play it more. But my friends and I have failed 5 times to make it through because eventually some big boss knocks each of us off some ledge. Please change the hanging on a ledge game mechanic so that we can climb back up by ourselves and in exchange for some loss of health. It’s really annoying for the party to wipe because we’ve all been knocked off a path and can’t pull each other up without getting knocked off by a boss.

This one game mechanic is what kills the Chaos Wastes mode for me and my friends.