Black screen in game except for names / UI

We kindly ask that you complete the questions below. With this information, we can investigate your issue properly.

Issue Description:
My game has a black screen starting with the character selection screen (no background / text), and then once loaded into game the whole screen is black except for character names / UI. I can move around and see people’s names moving, but the whole screen is black. Video cut scenes work fine.

Crash Report (If Applicable):
[Please see instructions on how to provide a crash report in the pinned Topic]

Error Displayed (If Applicable):

Steps to Reproduce:

Happens everytime I load the game
[Please add the steps that can help our QA department in reproducing the issue. For example:]

1. Play Chasm Logistratum as Ogryn (Skullbreaker)
  2. Attempt to pick up the second Grimoire
  3. Crash

Mission Name (If Applicable):
NA

Platform:
[Steam/Microsoft Store]
Steam

Player ID:
[Steam ID/Steam Profile URL/GamerTag]
Executive22

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
[MM/DD/YYYY, 00:00AM/PM] [TIMEZONE]
11/18/2022 all day

Reproduction Rate:
Once - Rare (<10%) - Unusual (<25%) - Common (<50%) - Often (<75%) - Constant (100%)
100%

Upload Supporting Evidence:
[Screenshots, recordings, links to Twitch VODs, etc.]

Upload Console Log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\console_logs
  4. Locate the console log that corresponds with the session in which the issue occurred, by looking at the timestamps in the log names
  5. Upload here

Upload darktide_launcher.log:

3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  4. Locate the darktide_launcher.log in this directory
  5. Upload here
    darktide_launcher.log (284.2 KB)

I’ve added this to our database. Could you also provide a console log, please? :slight_smile:

3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\console_logs
  4. Locate the console log that corresponds with the session in which the issue occurred, by looking at the timestamps in the log names
  5. Upload here

Hi,

I may have dealt with the same issue for a different reason, but the way I fixed it for me might still be useful to this.

The issue I had was exactly as described above, but it was already there as soon as the game was launched. This started after I downgraded from a new RTX gpu to an old GTX gpu to rma the new one.
I had applied RTX settings while running the game on the RTX gpu, like raytracing and DLSS, and an error regarding the setting “eFeatureDLSS” appeared multiple times in the error log, but those settings were not visible in the options menu anymore after running on GTX gpu again. Manually disabling those settings in the user_settings.config fixed the issue.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

I too am having similar issues after recently upgrading my pc. I upgraded to an AMD Ryzen 9 CPU and Ryzen 6650 XT GPU from an earlier gen…and today I started having those issues. I will attempt to upload my logs.
console-2022-12-05-02.23.51-2129992c-b6ec-4e92-af05-d284d8fb7a90.log (29.6 KB)

Were you using an RTX GPU before you switched to the AMD one?

Since patch 1.0.20 I also have this issue. Verified game cache on Steam, updated my driver, still busted.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Launch Darktide
  2. Hit space to enter character selection and observe black screen except for the HUD
  3. Select Create New Operative and observe black screen except for the HUD
  4. Go back to character selection
  5. Select a character and enter the game
  6. Observe loading screen is fine
  7. Load into the hub and observe black screen except for the HUD

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
EVGA RTX 2080Ti
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18
ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E
Game is running on a 2TB m.2 by Samsung

Pretty disappointed that I can’t play the new patch. Hopefully the specs of my computer help.

Hi Guys; Im also having this bug for the first time after the new patch today; as above

Reproduction Steps:

1. Launch Darktide
  2. Hit space to enter character selection and observe black screen except for the HUD

For those looking for a solution, the following steps fixed the issue for me:

1. In the Start Menu, enter “Run,” and then type in %appdata%
  2. Navigate to \AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  3. Delete “user_settings.config”
  4. Go to Darktide’s Steam Properties and “Verify integrity of game files…”

Verifying the integrity of your game files may be unnecessary, but it’s what I had done and what I’ll recommend doing to get it working.

2 Likes

awesome thanks dude; that fixed it for me! <3

Hey Benhart,

That fixed the issue for me as well. Appreciate your post sharing this solution!

After the recent update my game is now doing this bug, every time its loaded in, all that’s visible is UI, everything else is backscreen.
console-2022-12-16-17.30.27-c39edb56-d8d5-4a50-8c94-c6a4442b0da2.log (396.8 KB)

Benharts fix by deleting config and repairing the game files fixed my issue with only the UI rendering and the black screen.

here are my logs

darktide_launcher.log (658.3 KB)