AI bots are still Quite thickheaded

The mod has only three specific bot behavior modifications as stated in its description. All bot behavior outside those three, including those issues you mentioned, are not because of the mod, but due to vanilla game bot behavior.

Issues not fixed by the mod are: pathing issues (falling off ledges, not being able to follow players or get items in certain spots), poor special handling (chasing after specials with melee weapons, and not using ranged weapons on specials), facetanking enemy attacks (mostly attacks of specials like firerats and globadier gas), poor decision making on when to use healing items, poor decision making on when to revive, among other issues.

I agree. Fatshark themselves should improve the bots so that we won’t need to install mods, and deal with incompatibilities and desanctioning. All 3 of the Bot Improvement - Combat modifications should’ve already been in the game. Bot Improvements - Impulse Control should’ve already been in the game.

Bots have always liked chasing after specials with melee weapons to the ends of the map, instead of using their ranged weapons. They will prioritize this even if someone needs reviving. They also are keen on facetanking flamerat attacks (among other enemy attacks). See various similar reports from 2018-2020 here: Bot suggestions to fix them and make them more immersive (possibly adding features) - #19 by hollerbach (all reports there are before the Outcast Engineer update).

Here’s a pre-Outcast Engineer update screenshot of me getting stabbed by an assassin rat while the three other bots wander off (one bot actually passed by me and ignored me):

pre-Outcast Engineer update screenshot of getting stabbed by an assassin rat while the three other bots wander off

3 Likes