A question about the character customization changes coming next update

Will you be able to change gender as well? It says nothing about that in the update form, I think it would be weird if you can change every minute detail about your character including stuff that doesn’t really matter like background but not the basis of the whole character.

3 Likes

Yup! Was confirmed by a CM in the announcement thread!

Edit: here’s a direct link.

8 Likes

Even Ogryn? troll face :grin:

That would actually be pretty insane lol

3 Likes

Oh fantastic. I’ve been wanting to turn my zealot into a sister of battle without losing all my gear.

3 Likes

I think at least one thing that’s missing from this game is that female character models look female by having more female proportions. It’s always been part of the artwork, especially with sisters of battle-like armors.

When you create a female character the only indication that your character is female is either the base undewear model (which you you can’t play as, which I think is fair as that kinda ruins the game’s overall aesthetics and wouldn’t make sense in a combat situation), and the face and the voicelines, but there’s nothing about any of the cosmetics that indicate sex/gender.

The exact same torso and legs are used for both male and female characters.

I’m not asking for hypersexualized models that show a lot of skin and would be ineffective armor, nor cartoonishly exaggerated proportions like inquisitor Vakir in Chaos Gate Daemonhunters. Though something approaching Vakir in terms of representing more female proportions seems consistent with canonical 40K artwork.
Vakir’s exaggerated proportions:

And to be sure I get why there would be some items such as this psyker chest armor that would fit equally fine on both males and (most) females:

Which fits how it looks in canonical art:

Before anyone has a meltdown I don’t believe the choice to create generic models has anything to do with politics, I think it’s just to save money and time when designers create new skins: It’s half the work.

But it hurts the aesthetic in my opinion. Adding female skins/model versions would create more variation in the feel of the game. Heck, that could even be done to enemies to also create more variation in the innumerable horde zombies and scab/dreg fighters.

Something could also have been done to emphasize that one of the Karnak twins is female beyond the voicelines. A lost opportunity to play a bit on that aspect of the game.

11 Likes

Yeah, I honestly can’t tell what a female character is in-game until their voice lines activate. I played a full 5 minutes before realizing the Zealot on my team was a female. On one hand, I do like that they have the physique of an MMA fighter, but give a little more proportion, or give the option make the Males more buff. They look so malnourished.

I’m saddened we have no lady Ogryns lol

1 Like

I’m with you - that’s one of the reasons I’m looking forward to this update. My female psyker looking male annoys me - I’m going to turn her male so the cosmetics finally fit.

3 Likes

I think it’s more common for soldiers on deployment to be sinewy rather than muscular in most cases.

1 Like

That’s probably true for troops who have been a long time in the field, living off field rations and burning exceeding amounts of calories from being overworked and stressed every day.

For inquisitorial agents presumably operating out of a large ship in orbit I think they probably have much better facilities for training, nutrition etc. than the average guardsman in a trench.

1 Like

The biggest issue with the female armor models IMHO is that the shoulders (since it uses a male model) are way too wide. It’s a dead giveaway. On any models where these is pauldron and then a less armored arm below it, the pauldrons look like they are floating and not even properly connected to the armor. I don’t care that much the models are literally the same, they just need to be scaled and rigged differently.

3 Likes

Remember, “the average Guardsman” is an elite combat veteran on-par with modern-day spec-ops troops in terms of training and experience (the average Cadian Whiteshield cadet, for example, will normally have a kill-count numbering in the hundreds before his 15th birthday). Our Vets are Guardsman who just came off a stint on a penal ship and whose day-to-day life largely consists of running flat-out for extended periods of time interspersed with intense melee encounters with dozens of plague zombies/cultists/dogs/etc, so a lean, sinewy physique makes sense under the circumstances (don’t want to be weighed down by excess muscle mass when we’re sprinting across half of Tertium while carrying body armour, a lasgun with 9-10 power cells, a chainsword, 3-4 grenades and an ammo crate). :sweat_smile:

Maybe in Darktide 2 our characters can start getting gene-bulked out to Catachan/Tempestus Scion levels, but for now, I think the PC’s physiques make sense. :wink:

1 Like

On the topic of their physique, isn’t the average guardsman stimmed (read: roided) up to hell and back? Especially a veteran would be, right? Why are we looking at real earth history considering thats a thing in wh40k lore?
Also, muscles don’t slow you down, they’re literally what you use to speed up

2 Likes

it won’t be a woman… there’s no woman in wh40k…

(no boobs on women…)

1 Like

which is funny as slaneesh were infamously nude in 80’s, we had nude slave girls at one stage and rogue trader had a fem space marine before 30k was flushed out.

GW have openly said the boys club myth of no chicks was simply metal models were pricey AF in early days but now that its all cheaper plastic they have no valid reason to say no other than its been to long between having any.

the fandom has kind of run away with this mythos only men can be space marines du to excuse x,y,z but the formal answer from GW is its doable they just not bothered to do mdoels.

I think that depends on the regiment, and who’s writing the story. Some units love to stim themselves up, others not so much (also, Heroic Scale tends to make everyone look like an incredibly jacked dwarf regardless).

That’s kind of like asking “why are they still using projectile weapons.”

To a point.

Fixed. :wink:

GW says a lot of things, not all of which are true or make sense. :laughing:

It’s been established in the lore for the longest time that women can’t become Astartes (with the Emperor even explicitly saying outright that it’s impossible in one of the Horus Heresy books). Overwriting decades-old in-universe rules is a very reliable way to quickly tick off your fanbase and harm your business.

4 Likes

Yeah, I get that too, but I just want the option to make them buff, for fantasy purposes…

2 Likes

Fair enough. :+1:

I’d love to see some female SM. That would actually be very cool.

Look how they see women…
Yes they made female models different, that’s absolutely true, or maybe what is true is that they have no respect for their customers.
I am tired of their cosmetic policy and the fact that all women models are, in fact, men models… and no matter what they could say on this…

4 Likes