1.0.8 Too many bug fixes and tweaks, too little changes

@Thintalle @Avar The words are taken from my mouth… who am I kidding, I couldn’t ever state it that clearly. Have nothing to add. :+1:

1 Like

As far as I am concerned, people complaining about the bugs have legitimate grievances.

People complaining about loot systems and cosmetics just need to be patient. They will arrive when they arrive.

Going back to my analogy, you are asking the chef to make additional meal options that are not yet on the menu. It will take time.

For someone to state that they are emotionally crushed by the contents of a patch is the funniest thing I have read on a forum for a long time. It is comedy gold. Keep it coming.

Err… isn’t this a beta patch… that you could … gasp … opt into to test it in beta? Is it possible once the beta that tests the BUG FIXES is complete they might release the full patch that contains the content??? But don’t let me interrupt your episode of foaming-at-the-mouth. Many people seem quite carried away with their irrational, egocentric criticisms so I’d just get it out of your system if I was you - it might do you good.

I’m just happy I get ammo before Spinemangler.

3 Likes

No they do not. Just because something is in the game and doesn’t work properly, and something is not in the game yet, doesn’t mean that the former has higher priority. Because this might be a feature, that nobody cares about, never cared and even didn’t ask for it, and vice versa.

It’s a cognitive bias, called loss aversion. And because of it, you think, that bugs deserve more attention, cause else some content is lost. But adding new content is equal to fixing old content since the result is the same - you end up having something, you do not have now. Only things that matter here is priorities and difficulty.

And most bugs that got fixed are not that important, except for the 2 I mentioned.

1 Like

I do not think loss aversion applies here. I look at bugs in this way:

First the bugs must be fixed in order to allow people to play the game smoothly. It is higher priority because bug can interfere with gameplay and cause people to be unable to play the game properly.

Once the bugs are ironed out, you can then add additional features. If you add the new features first, and they bring more bugs, it becomes more difficult to debug the game because it becomes more difficult to tell if the bugs originated with the vanilla content or the new content.

This just seems like a more logical approach.

Edit: Lets say you are building a house, you will want to make sure that the foundation and frame is placed in correctly with no problems before moving on to the rest of it.

4 Likes

No you did not get 20 gigabytes of bug fixing. You got like 18gig of mapchanges because changing one item that another map has you have to update all maps, if you switch back to the older version you literally redownload all the old maps thats where the size of this comes from.

I take bugfixes over content any day of the week. Because you know why? If you implement content on a currently bugged system you may or may not have to bugfix the content you implmenented. Look at DayZ. 2 Years of giving people content and then they realized “Oh maybe our engine is not layed out for a game like this”. Then they went on to make an entirly new engine while ignoring the game which should have happened at the start.

If my team fails a legend run it literally is due to bugs, especially silent patrols. We don’t fail when we run non meta heros or weapons or talents.

At the end of the day you gotta ask, how many of the 1.000.000 people are affected by red drop chances and green dust problems and how many are affected by the bugs? They made a patch that impacts literally their entire playerbase and the greendust / red item problem affects NOT EVEN 1%.

I can assure you that the art team is working on more cosmetics in the background, the balance team probably has a new patch in the pipeline for next week (as has always been since launch except for the 9 days between 1.0.7.1 and 1.0.8.
And after the beta patch goes live we will have the DLC in 1-2 weeks. So wait a month for your so desired content.
Bugs are what made me stop playing and now I’ll play again because most of them have been fixed.

8 Likes

Except there are things that aren’t literal bugs but that are just as broken, if not more so. Eg. crafting/content. If we’re to say that the crafting system is working as intended and that endgame progression just isn’t a thing, this isn’t a game worthy of praise.

1 Like

I am not saying that endgame content should not be added. I am saying that bug fixing is the priority and that people need to be patient for additional content (such as more cosmetics and bounty board and other features which help with endgame content).

1 Like

Software developing is nothing like building a house - this analogy is false. You can fix bugs at any time you want, as thoroughly as you want. You can even build the whole foundation from scratch and move your house over there, or add as many stories in the middle as you want.

And you can’t iron out all the bugs. That is impossible. And even if you do it somehow, which is very expensive and unproductive, even if you do it, as soon as you add new content new bugs will appear.

So programming is not about “ironing out” all the bugs and building indestructible, it’s about keeping balance between content, bugs and implementation difficulty.

Bug fixing is never a priority, unless that is something game breaking. Loss aversion.

1 Like

It is not like building a house? I beg to differ.

Bug fixing is insanly important in any game. Look at DotA 2’s spring cleaning patches. Do you think 1 fan of the game thinks they are unimportant? I think not, those bugfixing patches are infinitly more important than contant.

2 Likes

Software Development is Not like Building a House

:joy:

That’s because Dota 2 is a finished game - exactly what I said. They don’t have any other stuff to do, so they start fixing bugs.

1 Like

Have you read through that article? It says its not like building a house… when you make software for a client. FS is its own client though and all the difficulites stated in the article that make the metaphor so bad dont apply to the situation at hand, so the concept of building your own house does apply.

I hope you realize that there is alot of other stuff to do in DotA 2 than fixing bugs.
V2 is also a finished game, otherwise it wouldn’t be put on steam or out of early access, go try and win a lawsuit and tell steam its not finished thats why it shouldnt be sold.

1 Like

Actually, I do!
I disagree with you, the overall content is fine, there are not so many changes that are badly needed for balance, and even if there are some, what is clear to you may be contraversial to devs. And they do make balance changes - like huntsman ability, for example, or unchained (pretty huge and very anticipated) buff. And, as it’s been metioned, the core of patch is technical update, that may by itself solve some of issues with weapons.

2 Likes

That bug annoyed me so much when I told my mates “1 second gotta craft”, they vote anyway and the sound loops it was so irritating.

1 Like

Of course not. I don’t read articles on sites, that force me to register on them.

That’s a great completely legit argument. :+1:

Hint for the future: turn off game sound until u’re done crafting. As easy as that.

I never, ever, ever said anything about balance, which makes all this quote irrelevant. Please read OP before answering.

How. The fact, that you call your patch a “technical update” does not mystically make it fix weapons, graphics and such. Not a single weapon fix was mentioned in the notes, so don’t you trust devs? Don’t you think, they do not know what was fixed and not?

You don’t have to register, get ublock mate what the heck?

And my argument with the lawsuit is as legitimate as arguing the game is not finished. Get a grip.

You have a very loose definition of “finished.”

There are some issues when hits would not register if you had bad game perfomance and low FPS, as I’ve heard. So bad FPS makes it difficult to score headshots, sometimes you miss stagger on enemy you should have hit, because of system lag… I have a pretty humble machine, so I felt quite a lot of it.

Ok, this might help then IF fps goes up. Because there is a guy there, that said says that his fps actually dropped down in beta.

As for me, I only experienced it with 3 weapons, and it wasn’t related to fps in any way.

… And Hedge replied

For me (And one of my friends) the FPS gone up - wie noticed an higher FPS from around 10 - 30 fps