What's the limit for mods?

A mod has recently come up, i don’t exactly want to be ‘‘that nerd’’, i just want to open up the convo about it

Tree Helper:

-the mod allows the player to see which targets to click on while in the tree minigame.

I am aware that a similar mod existed preiously ( Decode Helper (Decode Helper at Warhammer 40,000: Darktide Nexus - Mods and community))

-this mod allows the player to see in advance which symbols they will have to click while using the decoder.

Both give an advantage but not to the same proportions.

You still have to click at the right time using the decoder, but with the tree helper mod, you skip the whole searching mini-game.

i know its hard to draw a line when context matters so much when talking about what’s an unfair advantage, but, where’s the line?

4 Likes

I think it’s somewhat lame. Lamer than the original decode helper which still requires timing from the player. That being said, it’s a coop PvE game so I don’t really feel like this slight advantage is as big of a deal as some would say. You still need cover from your team or the use of a stealth ability to do it, even if it is faster.

I say meh.

1 Like

And again… seriously… we will have this discussion every months?

There’s a decode helper that exists for several months now… so get over it, this is not against the rules.

I am more concerned by a shirtless mod that permitted to show it to others… as it means someone succeeded to send datas to the FS server… and this is really a bad thing.
I hope they have banned the guys that used it (temporally) and that they, now, track such possible problem.
Cause it seems trivial the shirtless, but if you can send packets to the server, you could also send “put at 100% health” to the server with just a key bind.

By the way, this is the limit. No mod should send packets to the darktide server. The second limit is when the Fatshark team say no to a mod. And they are active on discord modder server. They did it by the past and asked someone to not develop a mod.

1 Like

the rules for this game are set by Fatshark, and the current modding policy has vague boundaries. the guidelines state ‘outright cheating in missions,’ and I believe this mod falls under that category. however, if that’s the case, then health bar and several other mods would also be included.

some people justify it by saying ‘It’s a boring gimmick that the game doesn’t need, so it’s fine,’ twisting the rules to suit their opinions.

In the end, the debate over mods that fall into this gray area will not be resolved unless Fatshark explicitly addresses it.

I have to say in this case I agree. While this is barely over that line for me, it still is. The basic decode helper isn’t the same. While that one does ofc help and lets you see at a glance how long it’s going to take, it’s not like you’ll always have the time to reset over and over to get the fastest outcome either. Basically it’s something that gives you a manner of statistical control, but no guarantees.

The Hab Dreyko decryption however is based on the idea that no-one has any idea how long it’ll take, but you have to expect it WILL take time. The whole finale revolves around that, expecting the team to protect whoever does it. And you’re basically guaranteed to NOT be able to pull it off solo with a single stealth. Something like this trivializes the entire finale. :frowning_face:

I think the topic is more about whether it should be bc they really aren’t the same. Not a clear cut case ofc but we all have opinions I’m sure. :smile:

Not necessarily. I have no idea how the mod works ofc. but we’re talking about a skin that’s already in the game. Everyone can see it in character gen / appearance change. If that skin is just one ID among all the rest but the vanilla game just won’t show it on your inventory, then a mod that does could work fine for everyone without any hacking involved.

I’d assume it’s something like that, since I’ve yet to see hacking stuff and as you said, that stuff should and probably would get the banhammer real fast.

If you can send an information to the server, yes this is a true problem… and worst than seeing a mod that help you with a minigame.
If you have found how to do that, you could also send commands like “put my health at 100%”, “delete every enemies”, “put damages x10”, “delete monstruosités” etc.

An example can be seen witrh solo mod
Will of The Emperor at Warhammer 40,000: Darktide Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

Here the mod description: “Bestowments for solo play maps: God-Emperor mode, 10x wounds + auto-standup, disable enemy spawns, invisibility, infinite abilities, infinite ammo, infinite grenades, infinite warp, no reloading, set move speed, set time, set gravity, slo-mo”

In fact, if you can send datas to the server, you could also send such commands.

As I say, it can look trivial, or funny… but in fact, what did this mod, by allowing a player to change its cosmetic and that all others can see it, shows that datas have been sent and accepted by the server. This is really worrying.

Except like I said, if the only reason shirtless doesn’t work in vanilla is bc they made it so you can’t choose it in the cosmetics menu, but is otherwise supported on every layer like any other skin, then there is no “send information to the server”.

Off course there is. Or the change would only be local!!!

Check for the drip how it works. You can modify everything, but nothing will be seen by others.
And for your information, the shirtless mod has been banned from nexus. It gives a tip how it was breaking the rules.

See…

If I could see this change it is cause the mod replaced the cosmetic of the game by this. So, one value was modified on the server. Or I would not have seen it.

The unofficial hard line is “something that affects the experience of someone else”. The subjective part is if it really affects someone else’s experience. My line is if you wouldn’t notice someone is using a particular mod or not.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.