This F.A.Q will contain all the information you need to partake in the upcoming CAT, and be regularly updated with answers to common questions. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask them below, or in the Vermintide Discord.
- The CAT will run from February 8 13:00 CET / 06:00 CST until February 11 23:59 CST. As a priority, please try to play during these prime times so we can accurately test the servers!
- EU: 19:00 CET / 18:00 UTC / 12:00 CST each day.
- US: 19:00 CST
- If you have not received an email for the test, please make sure to check your spam/junk folder. If you weren’t selected as part of our alpha test this time, please don’t fret; we’ll have more opportunities for you all to test in the future!
- Any data received during sign ups will be deleted after the test is completed.
- If you are banned from Vermintide 2, you will not be able to participate in this test.
- Please adhere to the code of conduct! We reserve the right to ban you if you don’t behave or adhere to the EULA. In short, treat each other well and with respect. Have fun!
What is a CAT? / What are you testing for?
- CAT stands for Closed Alpha Test. The purpose of this test is to do a technical test of both the Versus game mode and the servers, as well as gather feedback from playtesting.
Do I need to own Vermintide 2 to be able to play Versus?
- Upon release this will be the case, but during this test you do not need to own Vermintide to be able to participate.
Can I still sign up to the test?
- Sign ups to the CAT are now closed, but there will be future opportunities to test Versus.
Is there an NDA for this CAT?
- There is no NDA on this test, so feel free to share and discuss while you are playing! However please keep in mind that this isn’t the final product, and many changes may still be made.
How Do I Access the Versus Test?
- Please redeem the provided Beta key in Steam, you will find it in your email.
- In your Steam Library install the ‘Warhammer Vermintide 2: Versus Closed Alpha Test’ app
- Launch the External Testing App normally*
Note: If you’ve been part of previous tests, pleases make sure you opt out of any beta branch you might be on!
Please note, you do not need to have Vermintide 2 installed. Only the Warhammer Vermintide 2: Versus Closed Alpha Test.
If you have any issue with redeeming your keys, please contact us in the VS section of the Vermintide Discord, or on the VS section of the Fatshark Forums:
How do I activate the code on Steam?
- Launch the Steam client software and log into your Steam account.
- Click the Games menu option at the top of the Steam client.
- Choose Activate a Product on Steam…
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
Can I give away my key?
Yes! If you are unable to participate but know someone else who can you are free to pass to code onto them.
Can I play on controller?
Gamepad is not supported for this test, so it most likely won’t work.
What is Versus?
- Versus is a free new Game mode for Warhammer: Vermintide 2! It’s an asymmetrical PvP+E pitting up to 4 Heroes against our AI enemies and up to 4 special players, what we call Pactsworn. A match will take place over several rounds, with each team swapping places between playing the Heroes and the Pactsworn each round. To simplify, each round the Hero team must play a regular game akin to Adventure mode, while the Pactsworn players have to stop them.
Will the style of match be like Adventure mode or will it be like a Survival thing?
- At the moment we are only exploring Adventure map style gameplay, but with a mix of objectives.
How many players will there be in a Versus match?
- Up to 8 (4 v 4) but with bots taking the place of absent Heroes. We will have some mitigation on the Pactsworn end if that side has fewer players.
How Do I Play With a Party of Friends?
If you want to play as a party of 2-4 you will need to use Steam’s ‘Join Game’ with one another in the Keep before you queue for a match.
Will Versus work in other game modes, like Chaos Wastes?
- No, it will be its own separate mode.
How does the scoring system work? How do you win a match of versus?
Versus maps are based on Adventure counterparts, but split into multiple sections.
Heroes progress through a map section, completing objectives as they go. For each objective they get a certain amount of points.
The Pactsworn goal is to try to stop the Heroes by killing or disabling them (which stops them from getting points). When the Hero team has either reached the end of the map section or have been fully disabled, the teams switch sides, competing for points over multiple sections and rounds.
The team with the most points after a match wins.
When will Versus come out?
- We’re aiming to release Versus later this year.
Will this be available on console?
- Versus mode will only be available on PC.
Will Versus be a standalone game or will it be a game mode?
- Versus will be a new game mode integrated into the main game as a free update. But it is separated & has its own rule space, more than for instance Chaos Wastes.
Will there be separate balancing between Versus and base game? How will you balance Versus?
Yes. However we will strive to have it as close to Adventure as we can so that the experience is as close as possible. We will not do balance changes to Adventure in favour of Versus.
We will look at Hero weapons and talent balancing, but also looking at, for instance, buffing or tweaking the Pactsworn side. We’ll be relying on player and internal feedback, as well as our statistics to achieve a good point of balance, but it will be an ongoing task, for sure.
What difficulty setting or settings will be used for Versus?
Currently Versus is only one ‘difficulty’, custom built for Versus balanced separately from Adventure. The goal is that difficulty mainly comes from the opposing Pactsworn team.
This is something we aim to iterate on together with the community leading up to the release.
What can you play as when you play as the Pactsworn?
- Currently it is only the Skaven specials: Gutter Runner, Warpfire Thrower, Packmaster, Globadier and Ratling Gunner.
Will there be a ranked system or leaderboards?
- We are focusing on a more casual PVP experience.
Will there be official dedicated servers or is it host based peer to peer like the base game?
- For CAT we are using dedicated servers.
Can I play with just my friends? How does matchmaking work?
- Right now you can make a party of up to 4 players to join you in the keep, just like in the base game, and try to find a match that way as one team. Or, you can quickplay on your own into a match.
Has there been any testing done by players?
- Yes, we’ve had a few smaller rounds of testing throughout development, but nothing on this scale. We are eagerly waiting for your feedback on Versus; from an analytics perspective getting the stats in for things like balancing and wins/losses, and from a design perspective we want to hear your impressions.
Why was Versus originally delayed?
- It is a mix of things. Part of it is that we announced it way too early! But also, during our initial testing we weren’t happy with the results, so we put the project aside to focus on other content while regularly revisiting it. Because of this, we’ve had a solid foundation for quite a while, but it was only last Spring that we jumped back into full development on the project and said “Let’s actually do this!”
Why make Versus?
This is a big question, for sure. The super short answer is: because it is really fun.
The long answer is this: We want to fulfil that fantasy of: What would it be like to be the Pactsworn? What does it feel like being a Gutter Runner?
We want to provide a fresh challenge to Vermintide players. It isn’t harder enemies - it’s smarter enemies.
Technically, we land in the territory of PvP+E, which means that it’s not as far away from PvE as it might sound. For the Heroes it plays out like a PvE game, it’s just that you play on another tactical level.
Lastly, just as we love L4D, we love L4D2’s Versus mode. Modern asymmetric PvP games have been taking a slightly different route, but we have the means to explore this one. Who knows what we’ll find out together?
- There might be some FPS drops when searching for servers (we’re hoping this won’t be an issue)
- Matchmaking isn’t fully tested for the amount of players who’ve signed up, so it’s not impossible that some issues related to it come up
- Hoisting players with packmaster in various areas might drag players through the terrain
- At the end of a match, the summary can sometimes show the wrong score and round information.
- VoIP does not work in the keep
- The Bretonnian Longsword is currently stuck using an Empire Greatsword illusion.