Announcing Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Versus!

A NEW THREAT RISES

In Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Versus you can play as specials from both Skaven and Chaos in epic 4 vs 4 battles. Will you join the Dark Pact or defend yourself as one of the Heroes of Ubersreik?

ARM YOURSELF FOR THE BETA

Want to be one of the first to try out Versus? Sign up for a chance to participate in the exclusive beta:

https://www.vermintide.com/versus

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: What is Vermintide 2 - Versus?

Vermintide 2 - Versus is a new player vs player game mode for Warhammer: Vermintide 2. It will be 4 vs 4 gameplay, and you will be able to play as dark pact characters from both the Skaven and Chaos, as well as the Heroes of Ubersreik. Take turns playing on the hero or the dark pact side.

Q: Your mantra throughout the Vermintide series has been as follows:

We have no plans at this time to branch out in to a PvP mode for Vermintide 2. At itā€™s core the design is co-op - you and yours VS the bad guys - and we donā€™t want to split our focus away from what really makes Vermintide special. We feel we hit the nail on the head when it comes to a truly rewarding melee-co-op-romp, and we want to continue down that path.

• Vermintide 2 Steam FAQ from 2017

Why the u-turn?

Itā€™s true, we have felt in the past that as a studio we wanted to focus on our proven strengths - making a great co-op game. We like to think Vermintide 2 and itā€™s predecessor deliver on that goal.

We have always had PvP as a mode for Vermintide in the corner of our minds, though. In terms of focus, itā€™s been in the ā€˜cool to have ā€™ box for a very long time, but in terms of priority, the core co-op experience remained at the very top of our list. This hasnā€™t really changed even with the development of Versus .

Versus was conceived during special weeks we have here in the studio, known as Hack Weeks. Hack Week is a chance for teams to work on ideas which they believe are powerful enough to impact the company or to focus on a particular product instead of working on the official content pipeline.

Over the course of multiple Hack Weeks, the bones of Versus was born and it turns out to be really good fun. We feel there is an opportunity in it to bring Vermintide 2 to a new audience and introduce a new way to experience the End Times.

We wish to sustain Warhammer: Vermintide 2 for many years and Versus is simply one of the many new features that we hope to bring to Vermintide 2 during its lifetime. We also want something for the competitive players, and this is what Versus brings to the table.

Q: Have you removed resources from the regular team to develop Versus ?

We havenā€™t moved resources from Vermintide 2ā€™s regular team to the Versus team.

Since we began development of the Vermintide series, and in particular in the last year, we have on-boarded lots of new talent and begun looking at how we tackle development to be more streamlined.

Whilst the results of studio growth are not always immediately apparent, we have taken the opportunity to add resources to the team handling the development of Vermintide 2 as well as creating a small team for Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Versus .

Q: Will Versus affect my regular Vermintide 2 experience?

Not in the slightest, no. Versus is an independent fork of development with its own team, vision and resources. Balance changes in Versus will not roll into Vermintide 2 and vice versa. Thatā€™s not to say some changes may not appear in both versions where it makes sense, you can rest easy that abilities or weapons found to be too strong in a PvP environment will not see changes in the PvE environment unless theyā€™re too strong there as well.

Q: Do I have to play Versus ?

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Versus is a standalone game mode. Whilst players who own Vermintide 2 might get some special unlocks in Versus , there is no deeper crossover between the two titles. If you donā€™t like PvP, you absolutely donā€™t have to play it and you can glaze over it safe in the knowledge that the co-op game you know and love is still seeing development from the Vermintide 2 team as before.

18 Likes

Looks great. Any Info on a console Version?

1 Like

That sounds awesome xD

Iā€™ll check it but I will stick to coop mode.

This is amazing! Canā€™t wait till the beta drops

1 Like

Canā€™t exactly understand how it will be related to the pve environnement.
Is this a totally standalone game ? Cause you said standalone game mode.

What does this imply exactly ?

1 Like

Already they answered i FAQ.

Yes finally all those ā€œneed help as Chaos Warriorā€ meme threads will come true.
:+1:

2 Likes

Where is the link to sign up for the beta? Iā€™ve been up and down the Versus webpage and there is no link.

8 Likes

Thanks. Weird that I cannot see it. Iā€™ll chalk it up to my popup blockers.

1 Like

If you have experience from the L4D2 scene you can make solid comparisons. L4D2 had a whole bunch of mutations available, ranging from 1 player modes to 8 player modes, but most of them doesnā€™t have a healthy population. The game modes that stick out are Scavenge and Versus were left in the spotlight and out of those two Versus is the far more popular one.

So far Vermintide 2 has its main game mode, a whole bunch of user-created modes in modded realm and the weekly mutator mode (all with different ā€œqueuesā€). In the near future it will be expanded by the Winds of Magic game mode and the Versus game mode.

OH GOD YESS! I donā€™t even care about PVP per say honestly!

I just want to play on the Chaos side. Every game in Endtimes lore has you playing empire!!! BORING!!!

Can you imagine if there was a twist to this game, where you played Chaos and had to fight through hordes of Empire units?

I know versus is far from it, but Iā€™ll take what I can get - as long as I can hulk down a map and swing a freaking large axe as a CW, Iā€™m good!!!

4 Likes

Anything that has me playing as anyone besides the over-played heroes of Ubersriek - Iā€™ll take it gladly

Iā€™m wondering if the ā€˜Minibossesā€™ (Rat Ogre, Bile Troll, etc) will be playable? That could be very OP or very UP. I mean, the Tank was playable in L4D2 but the stats are different enough between Vermintide 2 and L4D2 that itā€™s an unfair comparison.

4 Likes

Date?

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, Hedge! I canā€™t wait to dig my heels in and trash my friends as a leader of the Pactsworn :smiley:

You guys are great. Thanks for the additional gameplay opportunities and expanding the game in new and exciting ways. Iā€™ll still be looking forward to Winds of Magic, but I think thisā€™llā€¦ vermin-tide me over for the time being :wink:

4 Likes

Gas Rat Main :rat: :dash:

5 Likes

Just you wait, Iā€™m going to be the worlds most annoying blight stormer lol

2 Likes

So is this a new standalone game or just a dlc within the base game?

1 Like