Trusting Fatshark with Warhammer 40,000: Darktide

probably the most accurate way of describeing, how most of us nerds in the forum feel

Respectfully Disagree,

Many version control systems exist.

The “true” code is stored on the cloud or central location, as a dev i download a copy of it modify it on my local device and submit it to be merged into the true code after review by someone else, thus updating the software. All the devs do this and there can be many concurrent branches (add a new sword, add a new voice, add a new mission) that should be approved after being reviewed.

There can’t be “miscommunication” issues because you can see the differences between true and your current edit, and your version and every other version that has ever existed.

You don’t replace the true code you, submit yours for approval as a separate “branch” that needs to be approved by (ideally) multiple people to merge it into the true code.

Also every version of previous true code is stored to be rolled back.

Miscommunication or uploading the wrong version should be hard to do because the many checks and balances in place, as well as the ability to roll back easily.

Im 99.9% sure they use a version control system at fs, this game is too complex not too with a team of more than 1 or 2.

Want to make the distinction so people don’t think the devs at fs or anywhere else are just coding away and then updating the game as they finish, sending people emails of the current game state and 2 people may overwrite each others work because they are out of “communication” with each other.

As for the cause of introducing old bugs with new updates, im not sure but fs probably have specific knowledge after investigating specific instances.

Software is weird and you can sometimes fix or break things that don’t seem to be related or undo previous changes by adding seeming innocuous code to completely different code because of the complexity and many files or dependencies involved for some things.

In the past on a proprietary software stack that controlled the interface a pc showed for around 15k devices I made a change to a background service’s variable for something like telemetry and it broke the interfaces, I fixed it by making an unrelated change to a different unrelated file to these 2 to allow it to work.

Software is weird and weird bugs happen when complexity increases, but version control , miscommunication, and not being on the same page as other teammates from a current version of code shouldn’t be a cause for things like this to happen, not in 2021.

3 Likes

weird things happen usually when using 3rd party libraries you don’t have any control on (like steam ones, just as ex.). If something mess with something else, there is a correlation, I agree it’s difficult fix without breaking. Even worse if it’s code written by someone else.

Well in an ideal scenario you’ve just described maybe its true.

1 Like

I’ve spent plenty of money on fancy hats I don’t care about and a collecto’ver’s edition because I truly enjoy the product and feel like it’s fair to compensate the company for it. At the same time I agree with what a lot of people have said already.

I’m not a Warhammer fan so I don’t have the extra incentive because of the IP. Also, despite how much I’ve enjoyed V2 I wouldn’t put myself through another similar release/development process again. My core issue seems to boil down to what’s quoted below.

3 Likes

You guys are absolutely right. I know with absolute certainty that I will not buy darktide if they bury VT2 like VT1 and no meaningful changes for weaves or at the main game.

2 Likes

VT1 was at least buried in a state one could somewhat call finished. In the end FS can be proud about VT1. It had an honorable death.

VT2 is so far from being finished that i doubt it will ever make it.
Despite all the hours I sank into VT2 I cant help but feel scammed from time to time…

Btw where is the “Trusting FS with the further development of VT2” Announcement? Right.

1 Like

This is kind of what you’re after, maybe?

3 Likes

Dear Fatshark. Please make “Vermintide 3” in Age of Sigmar. It’s all Warhammer!

Here’s the new perfect setting:

Here is the Hero of Our Time. Again with one eye. With stake-hangun.

And without Pаpа Nurgle, please!!!

Would be against Undead/Vampire this time around then

1 Like

Hmm, no Genevieve then… Nah, can’t allow it, can you @SmokerT69?

2 Likes

First, why not? Heroes, villains, and GOTREK GURNISSON from the Old World they often return. Moreover, undead - for Nagash, as the god of death, this is not a problem.

And second. In the Age of Sigmar, vampires are beautiful.

1 Like

Nope, I’m not gonna trust FS anymore. While I’m a WH40K videogame lover I’m not gonna preorder this game and I’ll wait until there are some solid reviews and a discount.

My FS 1st game was VT1. I bought the Collector’s Edition ten days before the release and I have 800hrs of play time with it.
Please, take note I preordered all DLCs of VT1 and VT2, with the exception of the purely cosmetic ones, which I bought anyway.
It wasn’t a perfect game, but it was polished during the time until it reached a good state.
Yes, there are some unbalanced stuff, but in general , it’s a solid game which entertains.

Then it came VT2. A more ambitious game, more complicated rules, greater asimmetry, etc.
Yes, I understand it’s not easy to balance , it’s more complicated, etc
But that’s not an excuse for the poor state of the game nowadays.
It’s certainly got a solid base and it’s fun, but nobody can deny there are a lot of issues.

My theory, based on what I see, is there’s absolutely no clear leadership in designing process. They are a bunch of lone wolves acting as they wish.

The proof is today we have still half baked features from the release date: Deeds, Crafting, Traits and Properties.

On the opposite side we had complete overhauls of the combat system, the talent trees, etc.
They added the Weaves as an additional gameplay mode, with poor success; they wanted to add Versus.

There’s no idea about which is the “main” difficulty (i.e. the one which the game should be balanced around).
QoL features are added after a lot of time and many are lacking . Viceversa they sometimes worsen the existing features, just like the host migration which is now forced.
It seems they have no clear ideas about what the game should be.

In conclusion, while I appreciate they are passionate about Warhammer, passion alone doesn’t make good designers. Being a good designer means to have also professionalism and a plan.

11 Likes

While I love the sound of fighting Vampires and the undead, I would highly recommend Fatshark not stray into Age of Sigmar.

Age of Sigmar divided the Warhammer Fantasy Community and put many veterans off the franchise. (Myself included, for the sake of transparency). While I am long over it and largely focus on 40k these days, I (and many others, I’m sure) delight in playing video games that continue to add to the setting of the original Warhammer Fantasy.

If Fatshark chose to move into AoS, I wouldn’t hold it against them, but I genuinely think they’ll miss out on a fair chunk of the customer base as some Fantasy fans would have less interest in it, while others will simply not play an AoS game on principle.

4 Likes

I personally wouldn’t mind and Age of Sigmar game but like said above, there are many people who would mind it and I don’t think that the Age of Sigmar line has close to the cult status for many people as the Old World in Warhammer has.

Two years ago and you had the right idea

This aged like very fine wine. Trusting Fatshark lol.

3 Likes

I thought it was an actual community update lol, then it was waitaminute, this is a bit familiar…

1 Like

One hell of a rez lol

1 Like

Still an entertaining read this thread is.