This game is a step backwards from vermintide 2

This is my opinion. Yes the game is early release right now, but man i had fun for only 1 day and now i just want to wait like 3-5 months until its gets better. because

1. the optimization is bad
  2. low fps
  3. ridiculous minimum requirements
  4. very slow progression
  5. gutted game of features
  6. many bugs and crashes
    7.extremely repetitive
    8.very clunky

ill be returning to verm 2 for some time until this mess is fixed or more fun. backwards step for rushing the game and gutting it.

17 Likes

Yeah you’re not wrong. It’s a mess and that’s so poorly optimized it shouldn’t be passable for todays standards

1 Like

Somehow vermintide had better ranged combat than this game.

13 Likes

Agreed on how poorly optimized this is. I have a Ryzen 3900X, a little dated now I guess? And a 3080 FE. I play at 2k ultrawide and cannot manage more than 30FPS no matter the settings. Not sure what is going on. Any other new/demanding game I can easily push 100+ FPS.

5 Likes

its still too early to tell if it will remain bad, but i dont want to wait like 4 months to figure it out.

4 Likes

Seems a bit unfair to compare a 4+ year old game with multiple DLC’s worth of content to a game that hasn’t even officially released. Not saying that there aren’t some things wrong with Darktide, but Vermintide 2 had TONS of issues on release as well.

7 Likes

I don’t know if you were there for Vermintide 2’s launch but uh… All of that was present as well.

Tbh, Vermintide 2 now is basically a completely different game than it was when it launched.

9 Likes

As much as I would love to disagree, I cannot.

This game is unrefined with many things being a direct step back from VT2.

The game design feels akward as well.

For example lets compare runners and dogs
Runner: audio cue, visible green blades to single him out, usually has a trajectory that means the player can predict, dodge and counter, squishy enough to warrant for the extremely high threat, once pushed, has a window of opportunity to be killed.

Dog: audio cue, same dark colour as the rest of the game, has a very very erratic trajectory, tanky af, once pushed, usually darts out

This disabler is might nightmare.

And that’s not even going to the range combat, where COVER isn’t even high enough to hide you when you want to take cover from an incoming hail of fire. They see you but you don’t see them, which is a game design nono.

Anyway. Still fun, but doesn’t feel as fair as VT2

4 Likes

Dude its beta… also its not supposed to be Vermintide 3 but its own thing.

1. ridiculous minimum requirements - if you dont meet them or barely meet them why buy the game?

I feel the need to address this specific point as I’ve seen this sentiment echoed in other communities:

Dude its beta

Aye, it is, but it’s important to raise these concerns now and have the developers look into it while they still can. We have two weeks before release, people tend to be even harsher towards the game on release if it doesn’t meet their standards of quality. Yes, they won’t be able to fix everything but they can at least address our biggest issues. As someone who dumped a thousand hours into Vermintide 2, stuck with it since day one, and enjoyed it a lot. I want Darktide to be successful. I want Darktide to be a successor to the Vermintide games. However, we have some big problems that simply can’t be ignored.

Creating excuses such as this isn’t productive for healthy discussion and rarely leads to anything insightful. Criticisms can be, well, too critical at times, that’s their nature; but when delivered within a respectful manner it can yield to positive changes. We shouldn’t talk people down or discourage them from sharing their criticism.

The author of this thread has made some excellent points that shouldn’t be ignored.

8 Likes

Besides less subclasses and I guess one less character / archetype what do you feel like it’s missing gameplay / feature wise? So far the gear and perks and stuff feel like a huge step up where there’s more than just 8 global perks which I always felt was a huge disappointment.

Can’t speak much to the system reqs and optimization, I’ve got a new i9 and 3080 and 64gb ram so I’ve been lucky and haven’t had performance issues. Crashes are for sure a huge problem, luckily it boots quick and I’ve always made it back into a match unless the whole lobby closed.

VT2 progression was just as slow if not slower? Obviously the double XP week they just had was great but I remember when I started playing I quit the first few times I tried because just hitting level 5 for that first tmp hp talent was taking forever.

I’d love to see something like chaos wastes, never really did weaves, but so far at least personally Darktide just feels better.

I as well. I really enjoyed Chaos wastes on Cataclysm. The mode is just superb. By far Fatsharks greatest achievement that they did for Vermintide 2, in my opinion. It addresses the staleness of running the same maps by remixing content in a way that makes it feel interesting yet exciting to play. Every map you play is never going to be the same. There’s going to be different areas, different boons, and different approaches to an objective. Also, the challenge chests - which grant rare boons when completed - which can be found scattered on a map, add a layer of excitement to the mode that surpasses what you can get from Deeds. Very enjoyable.

What helps the most is the type of boons you can get per run. Sometimes you’re lucky and obtain a combination of boons that turn you into a monstrous force to be reckoned with. Other times you don’t. It keeps each run fresh enough that it never gets boring. Additionally, the ability to join runs mid way is a good thing. Chaos Waste is just a fun casual way to waste time.

Never a dull moment, honestly.

you know this kind of thinking is what has ruined the gaming industry. games being absolutely terrible on launch and using live service to fix them over time. “its a beta” is a line just shouted nonstop and people keep forgiving bad game companies. Others mentioned that it took 4 years to fix verm, thats a horrible thing to say about a game. imagine halo 1 was released but it took another 4 years to be good or playable. give me a break.

7 Likes

I think it’s too early for such a statement. I also think in some sense it’s better than V2. Just think how long it took V2 to be so good it is today. So many patches… :wink:

1 Like

I don’t agree. To me personally, in terms of gameplay, Vermintide 2 was already good at launch compared to Vermintide 1. Granted I didn’t play much of the first game. However, I played enough that the sequel left me with a strong impression of it being mechanically better. The patches it got only served to further refine that fantastic gameplay it launched with. Melee was, is, and continues to be satisfying to play. In contrast Darktide doesn’t leave me with an impression of it being being better than Vermintide.

5 Likes

I disagree.
For one thing this game is still in beta so of course it’s going to have bugs. That is the purpose of a beta, to find the bugs that need to be fixed.

I really like the feel of movement better in this game than I did in Vermintide. I also like the layout of maps in this game much better than I did in Vermintide.

I really could not get into Vermintide 2. I tried several times with friends and even bought a couple of my friends a copy of the game so that we couid play together. None of us ended up sticking around after a couple of days. We just got bored with it. We tried again after 1 of the expansions and again stopped playing pretty quick.

So far even with the bugs I am enjoying the feel of Darktide more than I did Vermintide 2.

I do agree that the bugs need to be fixed and hope that they will be addressed before launch but until them I will continue to put up with them because this is still a beta and so bugs should be expected. If this is the state of the game at launch I will find something else to play until the bugs get fixed.

1 Like

well good thing to disagree. it is your opinion after all.

Hard disagree, this launch is way cleaner than the v2 one, also, calling the features gutted is a bit misleading, since the beta is getting added content every week till release, which provides even more content, we have very little concept of how complete the game actually feels currently.

Low FPS sounds like a you problem.
The optimization is bad yeah
clunky how?
Its repetitive in the same way v2 is.
The progression as it is currently, is ****ing dog water I agree.

The core combat is great however.

1 Like

you understand this game is still the beta from before with some added things, triple a games had week 1 patches,

minimum requirements should be higher, i have a i7 4790k cpu i bought in 2014 and cant afford a upgrade, it’s 2022 now , im not going to cry if i dont meet minimum specs, i’d rather games be coming out requiring top specs and not be able to run on ps3/4s . games should be better now,

repetitive i agree that is a problem with these games, not just fatshark games but left for dead/back for blood too etc, it will take some time for a bunch more maps to come out and be of decent quality , not something you can moan about when the games not even released yet,

only thing i dont like is still no helmet unlocked yet, and want to be able to give it bright led’s like the ai get,

You’re comparing this to fleshed out 5 year old game.
VT2 was the same way and went through many changes to get to where it is.
Do I think that many features like settings, pinging, etc. could have literally been copy pasted into this game? Of course, did they? No, why I do not know. But this is Fatshark, a company that has bugs in there games that are 8 years old and still exist to this day even in their new title. Looking at you cursor bug.
Will this game get better yes, will it be a while, yes. But the game does offer something new and with some specific changes I think it can be in a much better state very quickly.

1 Like