They Somehow Made Psyker Even Less Fun to Play

I’m pasting this from a reddit post I made here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/yyasp6/they_somehow_made_psyker_even_less_fun_to_play/

This is my opinion as someone who mained psyker during the CBT (Played enough sienna in Vermintide 2 to get her to 30 as well for what that counts)

TLDR: The nerfs to Psyker involved increased peril gains across his entire kit, which makes his entire kit less fun to play with and ironically incentivizes players to headpop more than ever.

I get that people were saying that psyker spamming headpops was repetitive, and the goals with these nerfs was so that people would find some form of “rotation” between headpopping and using the rest of the loadout. However, this current iteration of Psyker is somehow even less fun to play than in the CBT, and on top of that psyker is as headpop spammy as possible.

For context, I am running a psyker with force sword and force staff. and while I could run non-force weapons, imo if I’m going to use a lasgun or a normal sword because of peril management then I might as play veteran or zeolot.

The current peril generation is just very harsh (Each headpop is 45% peril, a force sword push is ~8%, a force sword special is ~25%, and the staff easily generates ~50 - 60% peril, and the special ability only vents 50% of peril as opposed to all if it back in the CBT, and you have to be ~85% peril to headpop without blowing up). Right now I find Psyker just really restricting to play as, I feel that I gain peril extremely quickly for doing relatively minor things (again two head pops = 90% peril). And once I am in high peril, I can’t use my staffs and more importantly, I can barely even use my push attack. To me this is as if they had made sienna’s fire sword Heavy 1 generate heat.

The most ironic thing is that since the core design of Psyker with his warp charges on headpop has not changed. The only difference is that because of the increased peril gain across the board and nerfed venting ability. I am now incentivized to actually spam head pop even more than before. This is because Psyker has two feats which synergize, “+6% peril resistance per warp charge” and “Can store up to 6 Warp Charges”. By bringing these two feats you can have +36% peril resistance, making headpop, staves, and the force sword actually fun to use. The caveat is that you only have this peril resistance as long as you can maintain your warp charges by killing enemies with brain burst.

In the CBT I would freely switch between the three weapons and use headpop on elites/specials, staff to CC, sword on horde. And while not optimal, I could afford to lose my warp charge stacks. Now I just have to headpop some random poxwalker in order keep up peril resistance just so I can use the rest of my kit, which makes psyker somehow more restrictive and less fun yet only incentivizes me to spam head pops more (even in situations where I don’t want to)

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

P.S. Lets not even talk about how Psyker’s only lvl 30 feat which doesn’t get rid of their warp charges also only buffs headpops.

13 Likes

I agree with everything. I also miss the Beta peril gauge compared to this new UI.

4 Likes

Devs, you should listen to people like this.

Nice job.

3 Likes

the best part is when the Cacha mk 1 sword does better CC then the mk 3 staff and procs the battle meditation more cuz cleave. I can see that want us to rotate but hell make ANY warp kill generate a charge on a timer or something like blessed shot from VT 2. Half of the kit is built around siting at max charges. also fun fact you move faster quelling with a staff then a sword or nothing XD like hell man they need to pick a direction for the class.

in a VT analogy make us pryo don’t try to make us all 3 sub classes

2 Likes

It actually feels depressing to play this version of the psyker. They only had to give BB a small cooldown or have it like it is right now but make it a special one shot so it’s balanced in every difficulty (and change all the warp charge related talents to accomodate that).

They ended up nerfing the ult, the peril generation, quelling, all force weapons, rotations… and basically the whole talent tree because they decided BB was too spammy? Then why make it the core of the class in the first place? Whoever decided this hasn’t played psyker, at all. The current balance is straight up a dumb, laughable mess, and there’s no reasons to justify it.

The current ‘optimal’ way to play psyker is to grab 2 non force normal weapons that can actually kill stuff and completely ignore the overtuned peril management and warp charges and play like a guardsman, but without the perks that make that class good. He is basically a worse veteran that can rarely give some weak headaches to the enemies.

3 Likes

it feels like 3 separate people decided on a nerf without talking to each other (or the person that fixed the peril cast bug) and all 3 things were implemented

2 Likes