Thank you for Engi (but please nerf ‘Ingenious Ordnance’)

First of all I would like to thank you for changes you made to Engi. All his talents are now viable and fun. There is so many ways to play him now and he no longer needs Trollhammer to survive. He was a favorite of mine even before, but now he’s a pure joy to play. Also changes to 1H Axe and 1H Hammer are very good and it is safe to use those weapons instead of a shield now.
Only thing that need to be changed is ‘Ingenious Ordnance’ - it is too OP and it makes every diff trivial. Also, people with this talent tend to wait until the team has 6 bombs at the start of a mission - that’s pretty lame and boring. I think it would be the best to just change the talent back to ‘Leading Shots’ - it was ok talent that many people liked. Or you can change the time from 80 s to 120 s or 160 s. Or change “explosives no longer deal friendly fire damage” to “explosives deal a lot more friendly fire damage” - that would be fun. :smiley:
Anyway thank you again for all the changes, the game is much more fun now. .-)

5 Likes

I do agree he’s a little op with his constant free bombs.

Alongside Warrior Priest they went a bit far buffing. Hell Warrior Priest never needed any buff

2 Likes

Seconding this. Really ill-advised talent. Engineer was in no way under-powered before, he was just pigeon-holed into a very specific build, but that build was incredibly strong. Simply making him safer in melee is all that was needed to round him out, really hope this gets changed quickly, otherwise we’ll just be trading conflagration/javelin for new problem outliers.

1 Like

To me OE is perfectly fine, rather he’s still too weak when a messy situation happens and you literally can’t use your ult

1 Like

That’s by design, look at how insane his DPS is when he gets to unload

2 Likes

I can get behind a longer time for ingenious ordnance, but that’s the best thing they did to the engineer!
Scratch that and you get an improved bombardier (tried it once, didn’t even get the 3 bombs at the start of the mission, maybe the two talents interfere?), some QoL and a worse crank gun (except gromril) that’s mitigated by the speed talent and overcrank: but generating bombs is precisely the extra panic button (with forthought, so not even exactly a panic button) that the engineer needs if you want do without the torpedo. Those 3 starting bombs just wouldn’t be the same.

Having you wait for 6 bombs is stupid, that’s a waste of 7 minutes, I’m not doubting your words, but I just can’t see a party waiting there. More likely that silly engineer would be left alone to die.

I’m not saying the engineer isn’t in a good state, but IMO the core of its goodness is precisely in that talent. That and perilous overclock. I’m not against balancing them, but crafting bombs and getting your ult back (since a longer ammo hopper isn’t great now) are necessities of the career.

Might just be my OCD’ing arse being particular again but that change that lets engi crank his gun at full pressure to maintain max stacks alone is a big win for me :joy::joy:

The results of my last few games with him, even skipping the bomb build and trollhammer entirely, were all good.

I kinda still wish crank stacks fell off 1 by 1 though, or that there was a talent for it.

I might be wrong, but I think with superior gasket they decay one by one now (and only while you’re shooting)

1 Like

…In practice you are correct, quite so indeed. But i am greedy and i wanted that for the others!:triumph:

It´d be more comfortable, all in line with the original goal of QoL!

The patch notes really needed a before and after comparison when reworking talents

But yeah what you just said.

Free bomb talent at start of mission didnt work for me last night.

Also, the crank gun charges up noticibly slower.

He feels worse except for the not ff damage, thats pretty broken!

I wonder if FS made this nerf because they wanted Linked Compression Chambers to stand out, because they did make that talent also buff fire rate as well.

I’d say it’s not that big a deal as the build up is still pretty decently fast, and the buff to basic build pressure is pretty great at making the cranking less tedious. Plus, maybe there’s actually a reason to pick Linked Compression Chambers now

And this is true, I agree, but as Fatshark itself said, if the character becomes useless as soon as he finds himself in a difficult situation… then there is no point in existing

For me they can also change the talent of the free bombs (although, in terms of style and lore, it adapts very well to the engineer’s style), but then OE needs other buffs to increase survivability and allow the use of the ult even in the midst of chaos

free bombs are fine, but the cooldown is too short with 80 seconds cooldown and a avarage time for 1 run of 25min you will get around 18 free bombs in addition to the ones you already find during the run, thats way too much. The cooldown should be 120-180 seconds in my opinion.

120seconds sounds fine to me.

2 Likes

Ingenious Ordnance is really OP.

His buff has been overkill.

You know, I wonder. Is it really Ingenious Ordnance that is OP? I mean, I think I get to used to power creep as well. But is the issue the new talent? Alone, it comes out roughly the same as RVs bomb talent. Sure, OE has double bomb effect as well and can carry three bombs at the same time. It just adds on top of the more severe problem.

Paraphrased: Would you think Ingenious Ordnance is OP when Trollhammer Torpedo would not exist?

@Adelion

From what I’ve seen of it, it’s allowing OE to walk through cata matches, deal 60-70% of the total damage, and completely remove every formation of density with ease.

I played SoTT Bleed build, and it didn’t even feel like I could stack bleeds on anything, as they would either be Bombed or shot to death.

They should have changed the Crank Gun and made Drakefires/Guns better on him.

Simply by throwing bombs?

Bombs and shooting with the Crank Gun. So probably a bit of both, but 80 seconds on Bomb with Grenadier was always going to be stupid.

This genuinely made me want to look for a mod to block certain Careers joining. Even BW didn’t do that.

Not sure why the forum is removing my quotes of you btw.

1 Like

Maybe to much hostility from my side :stuck_out_tongue: Forum is blocking it.

Interesting that the talent alone is already this devastating. But this is with a timer of 80 seconds. If we assume 15 minutes runtime ( 900 seconds) it equals about 11 more bombs. If you take Trollhammer Torpedo on top, you have another 20+ bombs.

I don’t think you can nerf Ingenious Ordnance but leave Trollhammer Torpedo untouched because it is the worse case.

Yea ^^’ I don’t think I have won much this patch. Before I left each lobby with Griffon Foot, Coruscation Staff or Javelin. Now, I will leave lobbies with Griffon Foot or Outcast Bomber.

At least for the last few days, the public games were enjoyable despite the new powergaming stuff. It is like all the annoying powergamers stopped playing while the rest has not yet figured out the new “meta”. Aside from one gaming were the Engineer was shooting Trollhammer Torpedo all 20 seconds.

1 Like