Suggestion for Red Items - Brainstorming

Assuming the reason we don’t have Red items yet is because the team hasn’t found a good way to implement it that they like, and fits with weapon makeups, crafting, looting etc. … I’ll just toss my ideas into the ring (again) on some thoughts I feel could make Red a fit for Darktide [less so just what Vermintide does with them]:

TLDNR my opinion/idea:

• Reds drop/craftable(from Orange) : focus on Modification freedom over “just perfect” through say having 20 re-distributable [for fee] ‘enhancement points’ on attributes + having up to 4 modifications of blessings/perks form the base limit of 2
  • Reds still very rare drops, and very expensive to upgrade (possibly limit to a unique resource like VT when bartering reds for Red currency needed to upgrade)
  • Reds in Darktide should respect RNG/loot stats (focus on enhancement/customization, not replacement of items as a ‘perfect drop’) → turn your great roll into an even greater one

— Long version —
My opinion:

• Red’s should be very rare drops of course, increased drops on higher difficulties, etc. (usual)

• Debatable: Red’s can be a CRAFTING upgrade — this could be handled two ways: (1) the Olde way – by ‘Bartering’ reds you find, you get currency that can be used to upgrade an Orange to a Red with enough – (2) Make it “easy” (I’ll tell you why soon) and it’s just a (very expensive) straight upgrade option.

Going off of (2) above, I personally never liked the idea that Red was just “Perfect” in every way… as basically once you get one for the weapon you like most, you’re kinda like… done [with loot]?

This game’s crafting has added a lot in terms of control and customization, and I think to take ‘Red Items’ into a new direction with Darktide would be very interesting to try out …a direction that focuses on “GREATER CUSTOMIZATION” instead of just flat out ‘Perfect for whatever you roll it with’.

With this in mind, my thought is something like this for Reds(con’t):

• Red can have up to 4 Modifications of Blessings/Perks
    :: while this let’s you turn your weapon into a “perfect” roll, you still need to unlock the required Blessings to fill out those two, and looting/shopping is still valuable [and rerolling to alter stats as needed or upgrade a blessing is also significant goal]

• (this is the ‘odd’ one) Red, upon gaining or upgrading have “Distributable Stat Points” (call them ‘Enhancement Points’ (EP) for now) … so that magic 80% limit we have…instead of just giving a weapon with 100% everything, we can spend crafting currency to adjust these EPs and apply let’s say a minimum of ‘20’ (1% bonus each point), points that will boost a stat on a weapon in selected categories.

This means with this weapon, you are still respecting the ‘Roll’ of that weapon, but can be allotted 20 [or more] % addition EPs to either: (a) turn one (or more) of those nice 80% rolls into 100% rolls - OR - (b) bumping up stats that were lower than desired to balance the weapon out.

{I use 20 as an example because it feels intended… perfect 380 rolls become a 400,where those last 20pts are customizable}

…also 20pts wouldn’t make or break the balance of things I believe, it allows to maximize a single stat potentially in an extreme case (very helpful of course) but only that one stat at most, otherwise its more a balanced enhancement and fine tuning that I don’t think creates any weapon to be “game breaking” beyond it’s own mechanics/design … just “a bit better than before”

Anyways…
Again, this would still RESEPCT RNG, loot and the sense of having a ‘good drop’, without it being flat out overwritten by being/finding a RED [that is simply ‘perfect’] but moreso the ‘RED’ rank giving peak control over maximizing efficiency of a good weapon that’s been previously found [or good drop].

It also encourages to spend resources rerolling more stats for certain missions or builds to try [by being able to change stats as well as the usual blessings/perks]

EDIT:
Low level Red dropping also don’t feel like a slap in the face entirely if they can be ‘bartered’ later past their useful life, but also still give benefits early on of pushing a weapon 20pts beyond it’s current level limit which is still a nice thing to see/have even if you get it earlier than you want to [or even opt to craft/upgrade it early on! Assuming Consecration cost scales with level as it does, for Reds as well]

Anyways, just another idea into the ring!

Feel free to judge, suggest your own, give feedback etc!

EDITS: Fixing typos

1 Like

I like some of your ideas HOWVER (and I will keep saying this every time reds get brought up until this changes) currently I don’t want reds, not until one glaring issue is addressed first that will prevent reds from being what they should be. That will just be another thing to brick at the very end of this abysmal crafting chain. Crafting has to change first.

I started a red item topic a few weeks back and we came to this conclusion: we do not like RNG, RNG should only be in determining what item you get at the end of a mission and what is available in the shop. Players should have 100% agency in the crafting and should be able to craft their way to perfect even if the weapon starts off bad if they are willing to pour enough resources into it. To this end a red item drop should, in fact, just already have perfect stats and come with all maxed out perks and blessings and only be drops. They are a lucky shortcut to perfection but all players should be able to get perfection without them.

Until crafting is overhauled or at the very least the lock system is removed that is all we should be flooding the forums with. Reds should not magically not have locks, nothing should have locks.

#BreakTheLocks

Hard disagree as I don’t respect the RNG of this game in the first place because it is an insult to players who don’t have the time to sink into it.

All weapons should be able to be crafted to all 80%. In another crafting discussion we alked about how really that 80% should be 100% since the bar should go to 100%, not be artificially capped at 80%. The weapon balance can remain the same (just shifting the numbers to align with a 100% scale) but that 80% BS has to go.

The ENTIRE point of reds in VT2 (other than cosmetic) was to subvert the crafting system. You got max rolls when you re-rolled the weapon unlike orange which had variable. Reds should therefore be to subvert RNG in this game. If RNG is to remain, reds need to be that thing that you get lucky on and then don’t have to worry about the RNG any more.

#BreakTheLocks

1 Like

Thanks for the input!

While I personally (a very important word) wouldn’t agree, it’s a good and interesting (and I’d say totally valid opinion) and has my respect no doubt.

[Definitely agree on the crafting front it need works, but my argument is they can still at least make it somewhat serviceable as-is/developers intentions/vision for it, even with Red introduced and before a major overhaul ]

My fear is the “what do I do after I get a red” … some people need an excuse, or reason for progression beyond just challenge/having fun these days [not sure when that happened since "the good olde days"of like… early Valve HL, Left4Dead for example].

I don’t see ways to get premium cosmetics +currency coming any time soon (though i made a post asking for it a while back) as a ‘hard to reach, but consistent grind/goal’ …and just by looking at stats, I feel like I’ve played VT2 in it entirety [most reasonable quests, all chars max level, champion on all chars all levels, max lvl in Winds, etc.] which for me totaled just shy of 200hours of gametime.

Darktide, even as unfinished/broken as it was/is, has already got me past 230hours without reds and… really because I’ve been rolling items/progressing and playing with crafting to try our builds and build up a "lirbary"of blessings to use. … It feels odd, but for some reason it helps me (personally) feel like eveyrround I play I’ve “gained something”

If a Red comes in as ‘Perfect’ (like VT2 did to me), I feel like there is nothing else to gain except knock off some achievements [penances in this case] for fun and then call it.

I don’t have a prefect answer, but the big question is “How long can we make this game last?”

• The gameplay is great, and probably the biggest draw.
  • The resource gain, RNG and “progression” of the crafting options (as you get the previous two things) helps to make replaying feel purposeful/progressive [even if not fully satisfying as-is]
  • Penance completion is a fun goal (but short-lived until more are introduced)
  • Premium Cosmetics (or at least unique) are a fun goal to obtain as well…even if it’s just “cash” or penances for now

I just feel if Red become a one-and-done, it single handedly destroys so many “grind/RNG” reasons to play the game and spend time immersed in it’s setting/gameplay … it’s like “Okay, I Got Gud now …lets try some Aurics and call it a day [forever]”

If Reds leaned on Enhancing crafting and longevity of “the grind” it just adds more life and longevity to the game overall, and doesn’t cut short what already exists and makes it replayable … “To me” that is ofc.

Its like those game (Risk of Rian 2 maybe as an example?) where you unlock every character and get all (reasonable) achievements… okay now what? I might try each one out once or twice but the game is effectively ‘done’ [but they do make it a very long/fun journey to give them credit!]

So does FS make Darktide:

• Shorter, quicker and more satisfying for people to become ‘Perfect’ characters
    OR
  • Extend RNG, replayability and longevity [but for people who RNG, will not be happy about it and often feel ripped off due to poor luck [I have terrible luck in fact… 200 hrs in VT2 I only got like 4-5 reds total lol, so I do get it]

My vote is still towards “easier to obtain”, so it feels satisfying and even those of “poor luck” will still be likely to come across reds AND/OR be able to directly upgrade to them [maybe even without a unique resource] with “enhanced crafting capability/options” to focus on “Build Making”, which is most fun for me in terms of customization … but also still allowing the satisfaction of “getting a good roll”

Like … the feeling you got something unique for yourself and can be proud of it, as opposed to feeling like… “I need to catch up to all the try-hards” because all these guys keep kicking me from squads because I don’t have full Red gear equipped …if that makes any sense?

Anyways, just my thoughts again! Hopefully others can chip in on both of our ideas and share/discuss their sides!

People STILL play VT2, some even play it instead of DT despite having full sets of reds for at least one preferred build per character. Why? People just want to kill things.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.