SUGGESTION: Allow us to choose between Helmgart maps and other DLC in QUICKPLAY

It’s not relevant to this discussion and if you consider it a meaningless detail then I don’t know why you’d mention it at all…

Fatshark actually planned on adding a map selection pool for quickplay but for some unknown reason, it never happened.

December 10, 2018: Patch Notes 1.4.0.2 Back to Ubersriek

Read the highlighted part.

BtU Patch notes

Fyi, it’s also the same patch where the QP algorithm was changed from being weighted towards missions you fail to being a little bit more random. I have it screenshotted below or you can click on the patch notes link and scroll down to the paragraph labelled, “QuickPlay.” Now, I don’t know if this was one of the changes that got reverted after the 2.0 patch (like the optimizations) but, at one time, the QP algorithm had been fixed.

Patch1402

4 Likes

Damn why didn’t they actually do this? The number of times I wanna quickplay but really just want a random Helmgart is very often. Maybe it’d cause matchmaking issues with the not terribly large player base? Like can’t find a game because you’re queueing for Helmgart QP but someone else is queueing for BtU QP? I dunno just spitballing here.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know. Maybe one day they will tell us.

If you go back to the updates, there aren’t any patches for January 2019 so something might have happened that ruined their plans for the QuickPlay change.

I don’t think this would be a game stopper because if none of the maps you selected were currently available to play, the game could just report this to you via a popup and suggest you either host your map, widen your selection criteria or try again later.

If anything, allowing players to select the maps they want to play should make it EASIER to find them and hence reduce wait times.

Bear in mind that at the moment you must wait until one or more of the maps you want to play has started (because map selection is not displayed in the keep) and then manually search for a free character slot for your hero in the browser, which takes time and is still a “hit and miss” approach.

1 Like

Nice find. At least that means it’s been considered before, so there is hope it may be again!

1 Like

Why would you want to play them at each difficulty setting?

Because there are Okri’s challenges for each difficulty setting?

You finish them on the highest setting and that’s it.

1 Like

No, it isn’t. Don’t tell me how to play.
Not everyone can or wants to complete the game the way you do.
There are challenges at every difficulty level for a reason.

Why would you run the challenges for each difficulty completion when you could just do it on Legend and get all of them completed in one go?

What a silly question…

so you’d prefer to do each challenge 1 by 1 instead of complete multiple at once? Fair enough I guess but idk if it’s a good basis for changing a system

This isn’t just about what I prefer or about changing the gameplay.
I think the game already handles the completion of Okri’s challenges well, by not forcing you to complete them for every difficulty, as that would be a pointless grind.

This suggestion is about ADDING the OPTION to choose the maps you want to play, which is only going to become more relevant as more maps are added via DLC. As with any OPTION, you only use it if you want to…

I fail to understand why this is a problem. You are the one who chooses to play in such a grinding way to get the achievements. The game does not force you to play it like that because, I presume, it doesn’t want to force you to play unchallenging campaigns if you don’t want to - so you either enjoy doing the low level grind or you have masochistic tendencies, I don’t know which and I don’t care, do what you want, but your arguments are baseless.

1 Like

The game doesn’t force you to play a particular way. You’re the one demanding that I (and others) do that. There is also a reason why there are Okri’s achievements at every difficulty level but if you don’t understand why that’s not my problem.

If you have a reason for why you think this suggestion is a BAD idea, or can explain how it would make the game worse, (despite that fact that it’s already been considered by FatShark - as pointed out by SirKruber above) then say so. Otherwise, your comments are unhelpful and unwanted.

@SaltySpyre does have a valid point and I get it.

1.) Player choice and preference. Completing all of the challenges at the same time is kind of dissatisfying. A player can then choose to complete each challenge one by one to basically extend the life of the game for them.

2.) New players might not even know about completing them on Legend to auto-complete the lower difficulty challenges OR they could choose to complete it on each difficulty as they level up to basically learn the game and not get overwhelmed by forcing themselves to play on a difficulty they are not ready for in the first place.

Just because most of us have played this game a long time doesn’t mean the way you play is the only right way to play.

I think everyone missed this part. Gaming a certain way is always up to player’s choice. If someone wants to complete each challenge/achievement one by one, that is their right and their choice.

Besides, completing Cataclysm challenges does NOT auto-complete Legend challenges.

For the record, I am for the idea of deselecting maps from QP and if we had this option when I was doing my hero skin challenges, it would have been much easier. I still think it would be a great addition to the game IF Fatshark puts certain restrictions on it.

Restrictions such as:
-Having a minimum of 5 maps selected (assuming you can pick and choose from all available maps)

-Adding/Removing DLC maps only (all 13 Helmgart missions still in QP pool)

-Adding/Removing certain Helmgart missions (minimum of 6 maps still need to be selected for QP pool)

Things like that where it would be impossible for a player to abuse the system and just run the same map over and over and get the QP bonus.

My opinion is that the DLC maps should be the one to where we can choose to Add/Remove from the QP pool. I personally have no problem with any of the Helmgart missions but some of the DLC missions is just too stressful for me with 3 other random players.

1 Like

Me? But you are the one who does not like how the game works and provides an unrealistic scenario why the game should be modified. Your argumentation is baseless and the reasoning behind it is your rather particular preference. Which, in the end, no-one is stopping you from induldging in.

I’m strongly against possibility to remove a map in a QP in general since that reduces the randomness factor in QP. Your reasoning behind it is based on a particular combination of your preferences that is IMHO not shared by almost anyone else and does not provide any significant benefit to the game.

To return to why I originally replied: I called into question your numbers and I still stand by that. It is your choice to approach VT2 and its achievements in this manner. There is still nothing stopping you in playing the game like that (and I hope you enjoy playing those lower difficulties), but obviously you are not finding it perfect, in spite of all the options available to you.

While I have many issues with certain matchmaking elements of the game - e.g. how deeds are not QP friendly, how one monster achievement requires you to either play weaves or win a lottery, how whimsical can the concept of “distance” be, etc. - your desire is definitively not one of them and indulging it would make the game poorer and more segmented.

[quote=“SirKruber, post:38, topic:41290, full:true”]

@SaltySpyre does have a valid point and I get it.

1.) Player choice and preference. Completing all of the challenges at the same time is kind of dissatisfying. A player can then choose to complete each challenge one by one to basically extend the life of the game for them.

2.) New players might not even know about completing them on Legend to auto-complete the lower difficulty challenges OR they could choose to complete it on each difficulty as they level up to basically learn the game and not get overwhelmed by forcing themselves to play on a difficulty they are not ready for in the first place.

Just because most of us have played this game a long time doesn’t mean the way you play is the only right way to play.

If you look into my previous messages, you will see that I acknowledge individual preferences. However, I disagree with his numbers, in addition to which, I point out that it is SaltySpyre’s choice to do the grind.

I don’t agree with the “new players” point. If they don’t know or prefer to grind, they will either learn or grind, what is exactly the problem here?

And, again, I’m not forcing anyone to do what I say. I’m just pointing out how niche and incorrect is the logic behind this request. You can grind or you can avoid grinding - but don’t expect any sympathy with a borderline suggestion since you want to grind, but just not that much and not without QP (what is the point of QP bonus to someone who would grind that much, anyway?).

Personally I can make a number of better arguments in favour of this suggestion, e.g. that someone might want to play with extra cosmetics and weapons and/or cata, but not particular DLC levels, or that someone prefers not to have beastmen, but my problem with each of them would be that they would make game more segmented and selective. And just like his problems, all this can be solved by selecting particular levels.

I think everyone missed this part. Gaming a certain way is always up to player’s choice. If someone wants to complete each challenge/achievement one by one, that is their right and their choice.

Besides, completing Cataclysm challenges does NOT auto-complete Legend challenges.

For the record, I am for the idea of deselecting maps from QP and if we had this option when I was doing my hero skin challenges, it would have been much easier. I still think it would be a great addition to the game IF Fatshark puts certain restrictions on it.

Restrictions such as:
-Having a minimum of 5 maps selected (assuming you can pick and choose from all available maps)

-Adding/Removing DLC maps only (all 13 Helmgart missions still in QP pool)

-Adding/Removing certain Helmgart missions (minimum of 6 maps still need to be selected for QP pool)

Things like that where it would be impossible for a player to abuse the system and just run the same map over and over and get the QP bonus.

My opinion is that the DLC maps should be the one to where we can choose to Add/Remove from the QP pool. I personally have no problem with any of the Helmgart missions but some of the DLC missions is just too stressful for me with 3 other random players.
[/quote]

I haven’t missed it, see above. But he is demanding that the game adapts to him, not vice versa. Your preferences seem to be the same and I disagree because they would reduce the point of QP. (Also, why would you want a QP bonus?)

As far as cata challenges go, apparently that is sometimes so, sometimes not, I find it illogical and I’ve already raised this issue with FS in the context of another strange challenge bug.

You did miss the point. Fatshark planned on adding that feature in January 2019 and so what if you don’t like it. That’s not your call.

Please respect other people’s opinions and don’t be so judgmental.

2 Likes