Sound cue improvements?

I was playing Vermintide 2 the other day, and it struck me how crisp and clear the sound cues for Specials spawning, moving around, and attacking was compared to what we have in Darktide. I have 0 complaints with how sound cues were executed in Vermintide, so I think we can look to VT2 for improving the sound cues in this game.

Mind you, I think Darktide is about 80% to 90% there–it just needs a few more sound cue improvements to get it perfect, and it already does a lot of sound cues very well.

For example, the Mutant in Darktide: its distant echoing roar is very audible, and its constant yelling and stomping makes it pretty much impossible to forget it’s there or miss in a crowd.

In contrast, the Mauler, Crusher, and Ragers are very quiet compared to other Specials both in Darktide and Vermintide 2. The Plague Monks’ loud screeching in VT2 made them easy to detect in the middle of a hectic battle, while the clanking of a Chaos Warrior’s armor made it hard for them to sneak up on players.

So, here is short a list of Specials in this game that I think could use a little extra improvement in their sound cues:

Mauler, Crusher, Rager: see above. Like with Chaos Warriors and Plague Monks in VT2, I don’t think they need a sound cue for when they spawn, but I’d like it if Ragers made a distinct screaming noise as they went on the attack–something more than the smug threats they sometimes make at players as they charge. For Maulers, perhaps a constant revving noise from their chain axes, while Crushers could clank and constantly growl out threats as they approach you. On top of giving extra locational data to players, these sound cues could add to these enemies’ screen presence and aesthetic qualities.

Snipers: I’d very much appreciate some sort of sound cue indicating that a Sniper has spawned–too often, I feel like a Sniper will fire off a round just as a player character yells “SNIPER!” Some extra sound cues to alert players that a Sniper has spawned, a few seconds before it opens fire, would add some fairness to how Snipers work.

Scab and Tox Flamers: the sound cues for them spawning and attacking are perfect. This suggestion isn’t necessary, but I wouldn’t mind some sort of prominent sloshing sound or similar when they move around? I remember the Warpfire Stormvermin in VT2 having a similar sound cue for when they move about.