Soulblaze now doing half damage against flak

PLEASE POST CRASHES AND ERRORS IN THE ‘TECHNICAL SUPPORT’ CATEGORY INSTEAD

We kindly ask that you complete the questions below. With this information, we can add it to our database for investigation.

Issue Description:
The changes to the Zealot’s flamer burn dot in patch 7 have carried over to the Psyker’s Soulblaze dot. This results in a significant nerf to the Purgatus staff, ascendant blaze feat, wildfire feat, wrack and ruin feat, and the blazing spirit blessing.

Steps to Reproduce:
[Please add the steps that can help our QA department in reproducing the issue. For example:]

1. Load into meat grinder.
  2. Drop a 4 stack AB on some flak and unarmored targets.
  3. Observe dot ticking for identical damage, where previously it would tick for twice as much against flak targets.

Mission Name (If Applicable):

Platform:
[Steam/Microsoft Store]

Player ID:
[Steam ID/Steam Profile URL/GamerTag]

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
[04/05/2023, 00:00AM/PM] [TIMEZONE]

Reproduction Rate:
Constant (100%)

Upload Supporting Evidence:
[Screenshots, recordings, links to Twitch VODs, etc.]

Upload Console Log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\console_logs
  4. Locate the console log that corresponds with the session in which the issue occurred, by looking at the timestamps in the log names
  5. Upload here

Upload darktide_launcher.log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  4. Locate the darktide_launcher.log in this directory
  5. Upload here

its intended they nerfed it

I believe this is part of the adjustment in the patch notes, here:

So to be clear, the nerf to a significant part of the Psykers’ kit was intentional and not an unforseen byproduct of rebalancing the Zealot’s Flamer?

Dev note: “We wanted to adjust the broad capability of the flamer to deal with pretty much all targets, specifically when combined with the Zealots ability Chastise the Wicked that grants armor penetration after use. By increasing the value of armor for our poor burning enemies while limiting the amount of stagger, we hope to create a clearer use for the Flamer. Since the armor penetration effectively degrades Carapace armor to Flak armor, the removal of high damage vs. Flak helps bring flamer-wielding Zealots into more balanced territory. Combined with a lowered clip size, we hope to move away from a general-purpose purging tool that leaves nothing left alive into a more defined horde-clear role that benefits from some help dealing with heavily armored enemies. It should still leave most things dead, but it might require slightly more diligent purging.”

4 Likes

Best way to hide a f-up is to claim that it was intentional. It’s the FS way.

2 Likes

But why.

@MeowBeep, I queried this with our Gameplay Designers and have been told that it wasn’t an oversight and that it is intentional, as burning was changed overall which shares the same DoT settings with Soulblaze. However, we are absolutely keeping an eye on things and monitoring all feedback.

The Purgatus/soulblaze was not even OP, so I am not sure why they were nerfed at all.

Should be put back the way it was, I never heard anybody say “Purgatus and soulblaze is OP”.

Do what you like to combat the zealot flamethrower being OP, but don’t nerf the Psyker equivalent that is way weaker then the zealot version. Doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

Sure, this video does a pretty good job of showing the significant impact to Psykers. Most notably wildfire is now useless while warp battery is necessary. Meanwhile this video I just made shows that a Zealot with no feat support or skill can still drop every crusher within 23m by ulting.

Basically the Zealots have been mildly toned down but are more or less unhindered by the nerf if they play smartly, whereas several options for Psykers are no longer viable in damnation. If this was really their intention then it is very surprising they addressed the dev note to the zealots when it was the Psykers that were actually meaningfully impacted by the change.

I guess this is no longer a bug report though, feel free to lock it up. Thank you for reaching out with the clarification that the devs intended to nerf Soulblaze Psykers.

3 Likes

The gameplay designers aren’t playing the game much do they?

2 Likes

I believe the running joke (not even sure if its a joke) on discord is that they only play up to malice

Barely touched flamer dmg (3 more ammo to kill a mauler), but nerfs about 1/4 of psyker builds, most of which were already off-meta niche builds. (4 Stack AB, Wildfire, Blazing Spirit, Wrack and Ruin, or any combination, etc. etc.)

I wonder if they also intended to nerf infernus, a blessing thats already meme tier, further into the ground.

Like lets think about this for a second, a burn dot applied via a lasgun would only be useful on stronger targets, burn barely affects carapace, and now its bad on flak so whats the point of infernus at all then? I want to know what the balance changers were smoking if they intended to nerf infernus.

3 Likes

I’ve played with @FatsharkLev on Cata VT2, did he drop down in DT? :scream:

Then they need to up the damage ticks for soulblaze on flack a bit to compensate.

Not at all! I’ve got my Damnation frame :smiley: you’ll usually find me lurking in Damnation or I drop down to Heresy to chill a bit sometimes.

Thank you for the feedback all. It’s being noted!

2 Likes

the tinfoil hat in my head says that nerfing Psyker 100% was unintentional, and they’re rolling with it to just not admit that they had such a huge oversight. I mean, why wouldn’t they mention how this affects psyker at all in the patch notes, and had it exclusively aimed as a “Zealot Flamer Nerf”? Why wasn’t it mentioned at all how this is a Psyker nerf as well? Either they need to improve their patch notes significantly or they’re just trying to save face lmao.

In VT1 & 2 this was a constant thing - big change in something, which broke something else completely.

Hopefully this gets fixed quick, and next time the patch notes can cover the full extent of what was intended change, rather than selective, leaving significant things out and letting us find this out on our own.

1 Like

Fatshark’s motto for the entire game ever since its release.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.