Rapier Block Recoil Issue

When blocking a powerful attack with the Rapier (like an elite overhead), even if the attack does not take all of your stamina it will cause a recoil that makes aiming a charged attack difficult. Additionally doing a push attack so that the push attack occurs immediately after the attack is blocked causes the push attack itself to go off in random directions. I didn’t find this feature on any other weapon. It seems odd that the Rapier, a weapon with strong blocking capabilities, would have recoil added to it when other weapons don’t have recoil on blocking powerful attacks or attack from behind, only when they run out of stamina.

• Steps to reproduce the issue
    For the charged attack:

1. While using the Rapier, Block an attack from an elite. I believe it has to be a powerful attack like one from a Stormvermin with a halberd, or block any attack from any enemy (even Skavenslaves) that isn’t coming from in front of you.
    2. Immediately after blocking, try to do a charged attack. It will veer off towards the right.

For the push attack:

1. While using the Rapier, Block an attack from an elite. I believe it has to be a powerful attack like one from a Stormvermin with a halberd or any attack that is not coming from in front of you.
    2. Time your push so that the push attack occurs just as the damage window of the enemy’s attack ends. It will go off in a random direction. This also seems to only occur for the Rapier.
  • How consistently the issue occurs for you
    The charged attack issue occurs whenever I block a powerful attack with the Rapier and then try to do a charged attack immediately afterwards.

The push attack issue occurs if you time a push attack so that the attack commences just after you block an enemy’s attack.

Both issues occur for the Rapier if you block any attack that is not coming from in front of you.

This issue does not occur for the Rapier if I do not do a charged attack or push attack immediately after blocking an attack from not in front of me or from a powerful enemy.

• Screenshots and/or video evidence
    I have recorded two videos of this. The part where the recoil for the Rapier is tested is at: I recorded testing of the Billhook to provide evidence of this not occurring for other weapons.
    Charge & Push Attack blocking an elite head on:

Charge & Push Attack blocking Skavenslave not in front of me.

• Link: https://youtu.be/EVVzLU1D-xM
    • Timestamps: Rapier charge attack 0:00, Rapier push attack 0:17, Billhook charge attack 0:32, Billhook pus attack 0:41.

This can make landing Ripostes quite difficult. You can adjust for it but it’s unnatural and difficult to do so. Note that I am not running out of stamina in these videos. I did not record it with the Parry trait but I can at least say it has no effect on this.
I tested this in the Modded Realm with Creature Spawner but it does happen on Official as well. I don’t believe there is any way these mods could have effected this.

3 Likes

Is this really a bug, though? We all know that weapons hit not necessarily where you’re aiming at with the crosshair but where the weapon itself is swung at. Just from the looks of it, the Rapier’s blocking animation ends in an upward movement. Going for an immediate attack starts from this location and leads to hitting air - which seems about right. I realized that it’s become muscle memory on my end to move the crosshair down after blocking with Rapier in order to avoid this.

You said you tested it with other weapons. The Billhook’s blocking animation shown is simple and it doesn’t seem to leave the weapon in a weird position at which you get control back over it. So no surprises here.

I think this has something to do with where the blocking animation of a weapon ends.

EDIT: The fact that this doesn’t happen when you’re using charged attacks or push attacks might indicate the same thing. Because going for charged or push attacks cancels the blocking animation prematurely and starts a completely new one whereas regular attacks would like to cycle back naturally into the common attacking animations.

1 Like

Fair enough. Changed to feedback.

I’ve only really ever encountered this issue with the Rapier. I’ll do some more testing with different weapons when I get a chance.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.