Ranged Rifles (LasGun/AutoGun)

It feels that LasGun & Autogun scales badly in higher difficulties (3-5).

As for Autogun, with even 10% damage increase vs infected enemies, 24 rounds from the burst variant, with combat stance ability active, and nearly 50% of them are headshot, yet it still needs extra 12 rounds to kill a mutant. with a very low ammo reserve.

So i decided to switch to LasGun XII (Marksmen variant). cant penetrate medium armored targets effectively, having 2 zerkers at once against you as Veteran is a death sentence, same goes for mauler (fully armored guy) or bulwark (shield ogre).

yet LasGun XII does good damage, but very low ROF , never finished even more than 70% of my ammo in a mission , due that everytime enemies reaches me and i need to switch to melee, and if massed ranged , you can barely do 2-3 shots then toughness is broken and suppressed. Barely can benefit from the Uli

the game tend to gets you more to melee, even with a ranged class.

As many specials are just pure anti ranged, it feels easier to play vermintide with a ranged class than here.

I have not played difficulty 5 yet and as a veteran player, i have larger ammo reserve, more ranged damage etc.

With that disclaimer out of the way, i feel like they nailed it with ranged gameplay. Autoguns feel fine as a weapon you quickly switch back and forth with to take out specials. Lasguns with more fire rate absolutely destroys maulers and zerkers imo. The improved dodging they introduced in this beta makes it possible to kite these enemies, even with ranged weapons as long as you time it right. I remember dodging backwards while ADS firing with Ult on 2 zerkers that are targeting me and I always melt them (tested on Heresy). Maulers were a problem until i realised they have less armor in their stomach area. Half a mag in the gut and they are done for. Also Vet has toughness damage reduction and weak-spot damage increase so head popping targets and getting toughness back that way makes you very reliable in a ranged vs. ranged scenario.

Don’t mean to be an ass but with what experience I’ve gathered so far this sounds more like a skill issue (no offence). If you have trouble with these things, try a Heavy Laspistol (you have more mobillity that way, to reposition, dodge etc.)

Autoguns are fine on theory, but once you see the damage they do over how limited ammo you have, it starts not to be fine, imagine wasting 36 bullets on single target (Mutant) (Weapon stat 10% damage vs infected). while having only 180 rounds in reserve?

you are dodging backward and not getting hit vs zerkers? they have quite long reach, same as VT2, which if you dash backward you always get hit, because they charge with hits, need to dodge sideways.
As for Mauler , yeah i noticed in the training , head takes less damage by nearly everything, including melee weapons, but yet you are talking in 1v1, yeah in 1v1 i can take down Mauler with the worst lasgun stats ever, but 2-3 Mauler? sometimes even with other mobs nearby, not easy at all, its easier to do it with melee than ranged a hundred times, also bulwark? and other elites/special that are heavily armored.

well yeah i agree Autogun suffer from skill issue, they need to increase their skills to match Lasguns, while also Lasguns needs skills to match the performance of VT2 ranged weaponry.

I think we can agree autoguns need a buff.
Yup, I’m pretty sure I’m just dodging backwards and not getting hit (maybe I’m delusional idk)
2-3 Maulers can be taken down with a lasgun and kiting yea, especially if you can cut corners so they’re bumping into each other slowing them down, but sure it would probably be easier to just use a melee weapon - this however, is just strategically better, not exactly a bad feature of the game. Same with Bulwarks, they counter ranged users pretty well and I think that’s fine, I don’t want my Lasgun to be the defacto solution to every encounter.
The crusher’s and other heavily armored specials get shredded with the crackshot feat on Vet - even with the autogun (tried on Malice).

In my solid 15 hours of experience - and only on one class - I think it’s pretty balanced.
Idk maybe I’m playing a different game than you haha

1 Like

Elites tend to be more resistant to Lasrifles, but the XII has been my Las of choice for clearing the field. Bolter is alright as well, and it doesn’t have trouble with Elites, it’s just not as stable for sustained long ranged shooting. It really comes down to the map and how close quarters it will be.

Chainsword is an okay fallback for dealing with Elites, but it runs the risk of getting overwhelmed by multiple Elites or even hordes if you’re working on them alone. Power Sword is probably the best balanced fallback melee weapon for Vet, since it can wipe the floor with hordes and take chunks out of Elites - once you get used to using it. Although Rangers catching you unprepared is still dangerous.

Yeah i also agree XII is decent, but its ROF is quite weak, if every engagemnt someone is welling to hold the line until you pick your shots its decent, it got good damage and accuracy, but not that great DPS, like a sniper, pick HVTs only weapon.

yeah bolter seems good , but its ammo is quite low.

didnt find any good power sword sadly, will test it.
thanks!

Its funny because i felt the same for lasguns but then i switched to autoguns and both of the headhunter varients work greak for me. And yeah mutants are bullet sponges but every weapon sucks against them. Rager are fine i feel. And maulers should be tanky… I mean they dont do anything else^^
I also dont have too many ammo issues but in most of my playgroups there is a psycher un the team, so there is 1 less person to use ammo. in endless hordes missions ammo is a problem though but i feel that is intended too because it should be hard.

The one I’m using pulls better DPS than the other models when shooting at Elites.