I do not deny that it would be pleasant as a quality of life improvement but I also believe it wouldn’t be a good use of a developers time to implement.
Of the situations you pointed out the only one that would make crawling useful is where you are down next to a cliff which is the situation we discussed earlier; if you get downed on a cliff and you’re the only one on it, that’s largely a problem of team coordination.
The other examples of crawling, while it would do something, wouldn’t be something useful. Getting into cover just means enemies would follow you and beat you to death anyways. No enemies? No need to crawl because your team just walks up and revives you. Enemies? Well, crawling won’t really help if you are penned-in by slave-rats and you’ll be beat to death either way (if you would live because your team saves you, was there a need to crawl?).
Downed by a wandering enemy or friendly fire? Still no need to crawl; your team can still walk over to help you and no difference has been made (unless you count the mere moments of time saved as a considerable difference). Stuck in a Blightstorm? Storms follow players, so if the storm is just sitting on you, moving is only going to move the storm with you because it’s following you, thus not changing your situation.
Implementation and Development Concerns
I’m guessing its implementation would be a direct change of the “Downed” state and you would have to assign movement speeds to characters (uniform) while removing the ability to jump or dodge so it needs to be a new state from standing, but you also can’t have any functionalities of “interactions.”
- What if you crawl off a cliff that normally send people into a downed state? (I see 100 issues that could come up from this one alone)
- Does your hit-box change?
- Do enemies treat you as a barrier? Vice versa?
- Warpfire Throwers currently push players just like a boss can or any block. Can you get pushed while crawling? If so, can they push you off a cliff? If so, the first bullet point becomes even more relevant
- What happens if you drank a potion of speed before dropping? Does your crawl speed change?
- What happens if you crawl while airborne because you were falling when you took the hit?
- How many bugs will come up with other functions of the game when this is added?
These are all things that would have to be considered and and carried out… all for crawling. IMHO, not worth it.
So, I guess I’m just repeating myself at this point and I apologize for that! I really do see why folks want it implemented and I’ve got no qualms with it being something people want. I also don’t see it’s benefits by comparison to its costs.