On the hatredship of gunplay

I’ve noticed on the forum, and other places, that running ang gunning is generally thrown upon. Everytime the topic of the aura and vets is brought, voices can be heard, complaining about vets never engaging in meele and “wasting” ammo on trash mobs. IMO it’s just unfun gatekeeping, that ended up with the latest aura nerf.

I get it, slashing enemies is fun, it was fun in vetmintide as well, been there done that. But you know what also is fun? Shooting them.
Gunplay isn’t bad at all, maybe it doesn’t have oomph and feel of cleaving through heretics with chainsword, but it ain’t that far off. Mag dumping bolter, edging with plasma, melting hordes with flamer, all of those are equally important to general fun of the game as melee.
We have one class, that is centered around ranged combat, and thanks to the (old) Survivalist aura, you could just about make through whole game with switching to melee only in emergencies. Now this is pretty much impossible, unless you steal all the ammo. Why we had to lose that way of playing?

Before anyone say “but in mah game you MUST use melee for everything but elites!!”, first you shouldn’t dictate how others play Secondly if I ever wanted to just run around and hacking heretics, I just swtich to zealot, or even melee build on veteran.

28 Likes

Its fine, just do what I’ve done.

Stop running survivalist, and if you run out of ammo just die and get picked up by your team. Boom free ammo.

This “ammo economy” is horsesh*t. Its exactly like you said, people dictating how you should play because they don’t like how Veterans play.

You’ve always gotten ammo back on death, so you nerf the ammo? Big deal, one guy can die, and the others can grab ammo drops around and then pick him up. Problem solved, 1/4 less ammo picked up.

I’ve said it in another thread. The path of least resistance. Stop fighting the players, and instead give them competitive options. Don’t listen to nerf threads, buff things to compensate, adjust things, rebalance things. Never just flat nerf something.

23 Likes

No archetype should ever be able to run 100% of the time with range weapon and be efficient.

While it has been confirmed by devs, that while v2 was 70/30 melee/range, dt is 50/50 (in some cases 30/70), it should never be 0/100.

You are not who dictates how vet should play, fatshark is. If they changed something it is because it contradicted with their vision of how vet, or this game as whole should have been played all along.

16 Likes

I think there are 2 school of though from the people that don’t want too much ranged capacity:

• Tides are melee centric
  • Ranged can stay more valuable by keeping ammo management more difficult.

Reshaping the game to be more ranged focused would annoy the initial tide community, which would be bad (I’m part of it :skull:), but also end up cheapening the ranged (to keep balance), which wouldn’t be good for anyone (See Deathwing Space Hulk for example)

2 Likes

Yea you should play how you want, but you also need to be considerate of others as you are on a team. If you are playing on damnation +, then you are expected to contribute somewhat equally. Using your gun for everything just isn’t as “meta” as using your full arsenal. Until they improve the ammo economy, it’ll probably remain this way

Well, I am someone who is shaping how does veteran should be played, patrially at least. I’m a customer of a service game, and it is well within my rights to want some changes in the game, thus the post.

Also, I’m not postulating for 0/100, but I think that 10/90 or maybe even 5/95 should be viable.

2 Likes

Devs just need to came up with “our game is 60/40 range melee, 70/30 for shooty archetypes, 30/70 for archetypes. The End.” (or what ratio they are aiming for). Not players speculating how it should be, because there will be no consensus.

2 Likes

Except this game was never advertised as pure shooter fps coop to begin with. You wanting devs to partially make it as one, is like me going to valorant forums, and demand rpg/roguelite elements to be implemented, because i think it would be more fun (to me).

11 Likes

Very much agree! Live and let spray!

If melee fanatics want ammo restrictions so badly then I guess we need melee to affect stamina, seeing as they love resource management so much :wink:

7 Likes

Never mind advertising. The game was nice to play with heavy ranged gameplay allready, and noone was really hurt by this. On contrary, it allowed more variety in gameplay.
Shame they are removing something that was working well.

8 Likes

I don’t think it matters what the devs think.

See Total War: Warhammer on Legendary difficulty. The devs balance for Normal/Hard, everyone who plays on Legendary cheeses the f**k outta the game and ignores what CA think they should do.

The devs, believe it or not, are in fact not experts at their own game. Far from it.

CA says “you will build siege towers!”. the players never build them.

CA says “climb the walls!”. the players just blow up the walls and walk through, or send dogs to bite the gates.

CA know nothing.

17 Likes

They said DT is gonna be a hybrid combat and they was talking about 60/40, if i remember correctly. So no, you don’t shape it, but missed the core info before buying a product.

Not even saying that hundred of customers with different opinion can’t shape anything but chaos spawn alike game.

Devs literally made this game though, in its very core at least. It was not made by their fan base.

1 Like

If 60/40 is the way, why does 95/5 is viable , or even 100/0 on Knife zealots?

Thanks to the classes, the game can, and should, handle multiple of different playstyles.

4 Likes

No it was made for the fanbase.

Checkmate.

(im joking)

1 Like

Who would you ask for fencing lessons:
smith who made the sword?
or
swordsman who uses the sword?

10 Likes

Damn I wish I’d thought of that.

9 Likes

Even with a ranged heavy archetype it should still be dependant on having melee abilities, and as far as I’m concerned, I’m already able to play 75/25 ranged/melee if I want to, i just know that I can’t do that on every weapon and every build

As for changing the game cause Op is a customer, do note that the melee players are also customer, and if you really want a ranged heavy game, maybe look at the plethora that already exist

The melee is what made FS what it is, it’d be a shame to lose it to have a more “generic” game

2 Likes

Do what you want, but in high difficulties it’s an expectation that ammo is (or should be) limited to create a puzzle to be solved; what is the right way to use my ammo?

Lower difficulties exist for more casual play, and that’s fine. Go there if you want to shoot more recklessly.

1 Like

And this is bad. They removed stagger from shots - good, now they need to remove supression from enemy shots aswell, and buff shooters with damage or special abilities like nades, so melee classes would participate in range combat more. Zealot movespeed is overtuned also. Shooters are trying to poke you from 10 meters away, Shotgunners switching to melee instead of shooting yolo zealot in the face, etc. There are a lot of dumb stuff currently.